Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

home defence pistol

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

the predator
the predator
Level: General User
12/19/11 11:58 PM CST

hi all,

i have a question for the more experienced pistol shooters,

i just bought my first pistol a month ago a .44 mag super redhawk with the 7.5 inch barrel. for deer hunting.

my girlfriend (that i live with) has been getting concerned due to burglarys in are neighborhood. i know my .44mag is a impracticle pistol for her as its to long of a barrel and high recoil

she has a bad hand ( multiple sugerys and basicly has metal for fingers do to a unfortunate bone disease she had in her hand.)

she wants to get a pistol for the night stand at home for when i am at work and shes alone, any ideas what would be a good home defence weapon that has little recoil?

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 28
Steve @ G & S
See Profile
Level: MEMBER
2/23/12 2:30 PM CST
get_that_bass,

Where DO you get your information? While a 9mm isn't in the same class as a .45 ACP, it certainly has enough to do the job providing YOU do yours, especially if loaded with the proper home defense rounds!

AND, loading a 12 gauge with deer slugs for home defense is quite possibly the worst bit of advice I've ever read. Personally, I don't care if I have to replace a television, a computer or a piece of furniture. A shotgun's pattern, even from across the room (say 30 feet)with #6 shot is going to have about a one foot pattern. IF you do miss the intruder, it's not going to be lethal once it's gone through a couple sheets of drywall.

NOW, what's going to happen with that 1 oz. deer slug if you miss? It's going to penetrate both layers of drywall that make up an interior wall, barely slowing down, continue going and likely exit the house unless you live in a brick home. And what happens if there's someone sitting or sleeping in that room that the slug passes through? Would you really rather shoot the TV or a family member?

That's the reason why all the shotgun defense articles I've read all recommend using shotshells in a shotgun. The only time I've read about slugs for self-defense is to keep them in the buttstock mounted shell carrier for when you need to shoot farther out, as in the intruder has left the house and is making a getaway.

Formerly Steve @ G & S

JimLi
JimLi
2/23/12 7:34 AM CST
No question,,,either a short barrel shotgun (Mosberg has several) or if you want a hand gun, Taurus has several models of "The Judge". 410 or 45 long Colt or both.

Smallie Pimp
Smallie Pimp
1/5/12 6:33 PM CST
Nearly zero stopping power? On what do you base that statement? The antiquated Miami shootout? 9mm loads have changed with the times, just like everything else. Are they as stout as a .45 acp or S&W .40? Of course not. 9mm has less recoil, making accurate follow up shots easier. They are much more cost affordable, making practice easier on the wallet. And todays loads provide good stopping power. I can shoot a .45 just fine. It's a lot of fun. But the gun in my nightstand is a 9mm because I know that in a SHTF situation, going through a massive adrenaline dump, my shots are going to be quick and accurate, with plenty of stopping power.

Having said that, there's an awful lot to like about a shotgun loaded with #4 or #6!

HardCore Walleye
HardCore Walleye
1/5/12 6:12 PM CST
They have more stopping power then you think! The United States Military uses the Beretta M9 as one of their side arms! Do you think they would us them if they didn't have "Stopping Power"?

I sure as hell wouldn't want to be shot with one!

get_that_bass
get_that_bass
1/5/12 6:07 PM CST
predator,

I am totally agreeing with everyone saying shotgun. There are many factors when choosing a home defense weapon, such as stopping power, recoil (especially with women and people who've had hand surgery), and one factor i haven't seen mentioned here yet: if you miss due to nervousness and a shaky hand, how much damage to the walls and possessions behind the target will be done? It's a hunter's safety rule of thumb: know your target and beyond. With deer slugs, the promblem of a shotgun spread wrecking a lot more than just the burglar is solved. Plus, these will either kill him immediately or injure him to the point where he can't move any further. Also, if going for a light pistol, DO NOT go with a 9mm. Those have nearly zero stopping power.

Steve @ G & S
See Profile
1/5/12 9:56 AM CST
No kidding Old Salt! I don't have a problem with using a shotgun as a home defense weapon. But....

I've always been taught that you DON'T want to rack your shotgun loudly. All that does is let a gun toting intruder know exactly where you are! I'd rather he find out where I was by catching a load of #6 buffered shot....

Formerly Steve @ G & S

Old Salt
Old Salt
1/5/12 9:50 AM CST
New Identity: 12/30/11 6:00 PM CST shot gun is the best home defense weapon hands down. easy to use for anyone, point and shoot. pump action too. if someone were to enter your home and they hear the sound of the pump action being cocked, they usually leave without a confrontation.

I couldn't find one statement in this post that hasn't been disproved. What was this, the regurgitation of a letter to the editor in 1953 edition of Field and Stream???? At least try to back up your assertions with some reasoning if you can.

Lectrotech
See Profile
12/29/11 11:02 PM CST

My GF has a Walther P22. It's been reliable and fits her tiny hands. There are 10 Stingers in the mag, chamber is empty and the safety off, rack the slide and pull the trigger.

[This post was last edited on 12/29/11 at 11:06 PM]
JimLi
JimLi
12/23/11 10:37 AM CST

Like I responded before, Take her to a store and let her try some out. I'll bet she can't operate the slide on a auto. Not evan the little 380's. Small revolver with big (357).

Jim

Bigsilverkiller
See Profile
12/23/11 9:46 AM CST

Ruger LCR is a NICE little gun.

Gun world has them marked down to $399 normally $500+.

They were only a few dollars more than the online gun dealers.  Feather light with the Poly frame and cant beet the reliability of a revolver.

'da Coach
See Profile
12/23/11 9:25 AM CST

Home defence - if you live in Great Britain!

lawdog616
See Profile
12/21/11 2:50 PM CST

I think that if your talking home defense, 20 or 12 guage shotgun with heavy shot load.  If she intends to carry concealed at any point, I would go with a 38 snub nose with +P loads. 

meestalubba
meestalubba
12/21/11 11:01 AM CST

12ga with buckshot.  save the taxpayers from the expense of a lenghty trial and prison stay. 

muskrat30
muskrat30
12/21/11 6:12 AM CST

A 4" double-action revolver shooting 38 Spcls should work. I litte S&W "J" frame with mild loads is another option. Going with a 380 in a very light gun may still have a little more blast than she would want. Then there is the question about her familiarity with firearms, if she's not well versed I get a simple revolver

the predator
the predator
12/20/11 11:33 PM CST

took her out shooting today, i let her shoot some of my long guns and she handled them fine 12 guage she did great and the deer rifles as her shoulder is takeing the impact of the recoil and not her hands.

i brought my dads .357 magnum,  she shot the .357 mag  bullets and the gun had a bit much recoil for her. as it started to hurt her hand.

i was thinking about a 9mm pistol. or a .380  or posibly a 20 guage youth shotgun for the shortness of the gun

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 28
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook