Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

What is the best brand name .30-30 lever rifle to buy?

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

davehicks88
davehicks88
Level: General User
10/23/11 3:47 PM CST
Any of the 30/30's are good. It really depends on what features that you prefer. I am a Marlin fan when it comes to levers, but have a soft spot for used Savage 30/30 bolt rifles as well.

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 27
uplander
See Profile
12/3/11 6:30 PM CST

good job there crazy, dont ever get rid of that gun, even someday you will get a new rifle, i stil use the ol lead lobber. my favorite gun besides the old 22 single that dad gave me when i was 11.

CrazyOutdoorsman
See Profile
12/3/11 1:00 PM CST

Marlin. All the way. I just killed my first deer which is my avatar. It went right down. Didn't even have to track. Put a scope on it and your really ready. My scope is just a cheap one, but better then nothing.

had.enough
had.enough
12/3/11 8:24 AM CST

Rossi, hands down bset shooting gun made!

BOWTECH CAPTAIN
BOWTECH CAPTAIN
12/2/11 10:37 PM CST

Marlin...

Lectrotech
See Profile
12/1/11 12:12 AM CST

Well GTB how did that Marlin work out for ya ?  I've got my dads model 94 and just use it for plinkin'. It has taken a few deer but not in my hands. For a lever gun I use the .444 Marlin, it's heavy but still comes up fast and on target. Very smooth, the trigger is good after a little honing, for knock down you would have to see it. Just don't spend to much time at the range, it will create flinches.

duck duck goose
duck duck goose
11/30/11 12:22 PM CST

30-30 lever gun probably not the best first deer gun to choose from, personally Id look to a 7mm-08 or 308 bolt for a new gun owner. Way too many safety issues with a lever gun.

But if your hell bent for a lever gun stick with the Marlin brand.

Carp King
See Profile
11/18/11 2:17 PM CST
Marlin 336, but if you can get one in 35 Rem, that would be even better.

SB XT
SB XT
11/3/11 9:51 AM CST
I have a Marlin and had a Winchester...Ford vs Chevy. I kept the Marlin so I can put a scope on it. The newer Winchesters now eject at an angle, I'm pretty sure you can scope on top now. I didn't like the side mount.

2bfishing
See Profile
11/2/11 5:29 PM CST
dont overlook the Rossi 92. i got mine in stainless for $400 (cabelas matched an online price + sale coupon). Shoots great out of the box. I little burnishing and now it is like smooth butter!

land man
See Profile
10/31/11 7:16 AM CST
down2erth-

That's what I like about the newer ones having the cross bolt safety. You engage the safety and then load or unload the gun and you keep it engaged while thumbing the hammer down to half cock. That way if your thumb slips or anything else, the gun cannot fire. They still are a little cumbersome to load and unload, so I got my kids a bolt action youth rifle rather than the Marlin 30-30.

Down2erth
See Profile
Level: MEMBER
10/30/11 9:41 PM CST
definitely not a fan of the Mossberg and if I had to choose between the Marlin or Winchester it would be the Marlin... I have Two Marlins one in the 30-30 cal. and another in the .35 rem. I enjoy both guns and in 40 years of hunting deer those two occupied my stand for many of them...

Probably the only complaint I have with the levers are, although many young lads are started with them they really are about the most unsafe firearm carried. Never was a fan of having to release the hammer after loading and wasn't a big fan of cycling every round through the gun to unload it. Neither of the two are what I would consider a 150-200 yard gun but a very reliable 60-120 yard weapon...

All in all to answer your question, it would be the Marlin

Steve @ G & S
See Profile
Level: MEMBER
10/30/11 8:31 PM CST
I think the biggest difference between a Winchester and a Marlin is the scope mounting capabilities.

If you want to use iron sights or you like the idea of a peep sight, then you can use either firearm with confidence. However, if you want to mount a scope, Marlin rifles are a better route to go with the flat top receiver and side ejection of the spent cartridges.

Winchester 94s are top eject and require a side mount, offset for the scope to clear the ejecting rounds.

Formerly Steve @ G & S

gamenut
gamenut
10/30/11 11:06 AM CST
Winchester 94 or Marlin is a matter of preference. I have a 1923 Winchester model 94 that I bought when I was 12 years old. The guy wanted $40 for it but the barrel was pitted which I was afraid of but he told me to shoot it and then decide. I shot a few at 100 yds. and it was still accurate. That was 46 years ago and I still use that gun every deer season and never failed to get a deer I shot at. I`ve got a 1954 Winchester 94 that is mint but I still use the old. Great guns and no problems ever.

wendigo
wendigo
10/30/11 10:16 AM CST
Top eject from 1970, must be Winchester model 94?

deepwoodstim
deepwoodstim
10/30/11 1:20 AM CST
Marlin. No ?

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 27
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick Baitmate

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook