Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

Min age to shoot a firearm

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

FULL DRAW
See Profile
Level: General User
3/10/08 8:05 PM CST
Have any of you ever heard if there is a min age at which a child can legally shoot a firearm, even with adult supervision? I had heard that a child cannot shoot a firearm until they turn 12, even with an adult assisting. Is that actually the case?

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 38
marinerman
See Profile
Level: MEMBER
7/9/08 9:16 PM CST
Docknboat - I agree with you, and think in most rural areas of the state, except at established ranges, no one abides by or cares about the minimum age to fire a weapon (i.e gun, firearm, thunder stick or anything else you want to call it). I personally don't have a problem with you taking your child to your land and shooting what YOU want to at ANY age. Public land might be a different story for the general safety of the public. I just know this has been debated without fact sooooo many times on this site I sent the DNR a request for clarification - thanks Holly and looked up the state statutes myself to end all debate. Cool

Docknboatlift
See Profile
7/9/08 8:14 PM CST
marinerman, it's your continued use of the quoted word "weapon" that throws Tim off the point. He seems to think you are hunting with a checkerface framing hammer or something similar, since "weapons" should not be used to hunt with (according to Tim).

Did not know the Wisconsin rules on firearms for kids, as I don't have kids and therefore don't concern myself with it. Still, it's difficult to understand how a state could regulate the supervised use of a weapon given the amount of area in Wisconsin that is agricultural and/or rural wilderness.

It's funny how attitudes change when you are in areas of the country where a firearm, as a weapon, might be part of the daily facts of life when confronted with some surly critters that are known to be about. In Georgia it's snakes, wild hogs, coyotes (surly to livestock), and the occasional domestic critter that requires expedient dispatch. I've watched both my best friends boys handle a .22 rifle, supervised, at age 6. If needed, and occasionally it has been, either one could retrieve a weapon and load it for you. Hate to say it, but I would trust either one before I would trust many adults to perform the same chore safely.

I shot a .22 at an Illinois police rifle range as a Cub Scout at age 8. Since we were supervised by a couple of cops, I assume it was legal. Also shot one at YMCA camp in Michigan at age 10.

I'm confident a number of folks in Kentucky learned to shoot before they learned to read, and yes, I do know some of those folks are nearing retirement age.

[This post was last edited on 7/9/08 at 8:16 PM]
ere
ere
7/9/08 6:41 PM CST
Regarding shooting the day before,Thats also in the 'book'. The DNR is not misleading anyone on that point, people just need to read, I believe there is already a thread on this.

marinerman
See Profile
7/9/08 4:39 PM CST
Looking through the state statues today here is another one most people don't know. The DNR cannot prevent you or a family member from target shooting on your own land the 24 hours prior to deer season. Don't believe me look it up - what the DNR 'leads' you believe and the truth isn't always one in the same.

marinerman
See Profile
7/9/08 4:34 PM CST
TimT - I know you've stated the minimum age for a hand gun before on different threads, but stating it wrong repeatedly doesn't make it right. See the reply I got from the DNR and the STATE STATUTE regarding this. A person 12 or OLDER can fire ANY gun (long or hand gun) target shooting under the supervision of an adult. So actually I'm totally correct - see below

You have to be at least 12 years of age and under the supervision of an adult parent or guardian and only for the purpose of target practice or part of a course of instruction on proper use of a handgun to be able to handle a handgun. Please also remember that it is NOT legal for any person under age 18 to possess or use a handgun (which is a firearm) for hunting in Wisconsin, not even if accompanied by an adult parent or guardian. Juveniles may only use legal rifles, shotguns or airguns for hunting.

P Holly Robertson Wildlife Rules and Regulations Assistant Bureau of Wildlife Management Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources

This pertains to the age 18 for firearm use alone:

WI State Statue 941.28 (3) (a) This section does not apply to a person under 18 years of age who possesses or is armed with a dangerous weapon when the dangerous weapon is being used in target practice under the supervision of an adult or in a course of instruction in the traditional and proper use of the dangerous weapon under the supervision of an adult. This section does not apply to an adult who transfers a dangerous weapon to a person under 18 years of age for use only in target practice under the adult’s supervision or in a course of instruction in the traditional and proper use of the dangerous weapon under the adult’s supervision.

Big Smile Big Smile

ere
ere
7/9/08 2:56 PM CST
Page 6 of the 2008 small game regs:

Handguns- Note; 'Target shooting with handguns UNDER THE AGE OF 18 IS ALLOWED ONLY WHEN SUPERVISED BY AN ADULT '.

stank
stank
7/9/08 12:41 AM CST
Isn't this a joke? Let's not let a kid practice until they are 12 and then let them go in the woods and try to make a kill shot on live animal. Sounds like sound logic to me. At least I believe that is the word that Hot Rod used regarding the DNR on a different thread. Sounds real fair to a deer or any other game for that matter.

I will be breaking that law with my kids. It is only fair to the game animals. I will pay that fine with a huge grin on face while letting them know how "logical" this law is.

1horn
1horn
7/9/08 12:00 AM CST
let's raise the minimum fishing age to 12. What the hell....I'm sure our grandfathers would approve....

Water Dog
See Profile
6/29/08 5:19 PM CST
Tim is correct. In Wisconsin a person has to be 18 to possess or shoot a handgun and 12-13 to shoot and hunt with a long gun while supervised. 14 plus to shoot and hunt unsupervised with a hunter education certificate.

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/faq/weapons/Q2.htm

marinerman
See Profile
6/29/08 3:20 PM CST
Tim, I believe your possess is in absence of an adult, i.e hunting alone over age 14. At a range with a parent the age is 12. Check with the range you are shooting at, some ranges won't allow ANYONE under 18 to shoot - that doesn't make it law.

marinerman
See Profile
6/25/08 6:02 PM CST
I just went through this at an outdoor range recently. The STATE LAW says MINIMUM age 12 to fire ANY gun - long gun or hand gun with supervision

Champ150
Champ150
3/25/08 11:54 PM CST
by Wisconsin state law you have to be 12 to shoot anything that uses gunpowder. However, it is not really enforced as it would be impossible to do so. this was a question for the DNR warden at a hunter safety class this evening(2/25) and that was his answer.

flatheadhntr
See Profile
3/23/08 9:56 AM CST
Its a bunch of crap. Last weekend we were shooting handguns and my 5 year old niece was shooting a .22 browning auto loader at the targets. Of course with close support, and arm and hand control. and with only 1shell in the gun at a time for added safety. Correct me if i'm wrong but I think one must be 18 years old to shoot and 21 to buy a handgun. I say teach them early is a good thing. Any 1 know where to get a left hand leather holster for a taurus .357 608 with a 6.5 in barrel? Flat

lawdog616
See Profile
3/23/08 8:01 AM CST
I too could not believe this when I read it, so I spent a little time looking at the State Statutes. Low and behold I found State Statute 29.304 that basically says that uner the age of 12 you can not possess or shoot a firearm even if in the company of an adult or parent. The only exemption was if you are enrolled in Hunter Safety and then it must be during the training.

I checked the criminal statutes and found no restrictions on age mentioned. I think this shows a oversite by the State and an opening to address this issue if we can find someone to sponsor legislation. Now is the time to try and move this forward before we end up with a President and Congress that make every attempt to take away all our gun rights.

I will, and encourage all of you to contact your State Representives and ask them to sponsor some kind of bill in regards to this matter.

Lets do what we can to save our basic rights and help teach our children the heritage that our forefathers taught us.

bademt
See Profile
3/19/08 10:56 AM CST
Thank all of you. I don't feel so bad about being a law breaker now. Does anyone know if there is a minimum age to use a fishing rod? I'd like to know before the May opener.

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 38
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick Baitmate

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook