Can felons use a muzzleloader during gun season

8/24/06 @ 8:24 PM
ORIGINAL POST
getherdone
getherdone
USER since 4/22/04
I'm not a felon but a buddy is and we had an argument about this. Can a felon use a muzzleloader during gun season. I said yes because you can buy a muzzleloader without a back ground check. Any ideas?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 22 Posts
9/7/06 @ 2:24 PM
DLAMA2
DLAMA2
USER since 5/1/05
If it is not a serious felony (not sure what that would be...maybe gambling?), you can ask the judge at your trail to let you be able to use a weapon after your probation is up to hunt. Have heard of this/know its been done, but it will cost you I am sure....lawyer fee's.

Post Your Comment
9/7/06 @ 2:13 PM
Sweet80
Sweet80
USER since 11/14/05
For a non-violent felony, you may get governor's pardon after so many years of good behavior if you happen to know a State Senator who will sponsor you. Then you can possess any fire arm. Again, not from personal experience.

Post Your Comment
9/7/06 @ 9:29 AM
JR06
JR06
USER since 5/15/06
A buddy of mine asked the dnr the same question and they said no a muzleloader is considered a firearm.

Post Your Comment
9/1/06 @ 9:01 PM
Nolay
Nolay
USER since 1/14/03
If you are subject to a restraining order you can't have a firearm. If you have been arrested for DV you probably have a TRO or injunction against you so no. If you have already been convicted (and not subject to an RO) and are on probation then it's agent discretion, but I don't know many who allow it

Post Your Comment
9/1/06 @ 6:30 PM
getherdone
getherdone
USER since 4/22/04
So is that a big no for DV offenders to be able to hunt with a muzzleloader. And By the way anyone can be arrested for DV. According to the law someone has to be arrested when an officer is called out to a domestic dispute. Even if there was no abuse. My buddy got arrested because he was having an argument with his wife because he forgot to take garbage to the curb the night before. Nosy neighbors called cops for 2 minutes of yelling

Post Your Comment
8/31/06 @ 3:36 PM
arse
arse
USER since 12/12/03
Why keep a spouse that may accuse you of DV when you didn't do it? If you did, then take what you get and hopefully, you get what you deserve.

Post Your Comment
8/27/06 @ 8:35 PM
Docknboatlift
Docknboatlift
MEMBER since 8/23/01
While I dont disagree with you about the false accusation thing reelman, at the same time, I bet you are as likely to be murdered by your spouse or significant other (current or former) than you are by some stranger.

The best way to keep the right to own a gun is to conduct yourself responsibly.

Post Your Comment
8/27/06 @ 7:32 PM
getherdone
getherdone
USER since 4/22/04
I have another question than. Can someone who has been convicted of a domestic violence offense hunt with a muzzleloader. These people are not considered felons

Post Your Comment
8/27/06 @ 3:09 PM
lead-core
lead-core
USER since 7/8/06
i think you can in wisconsin only if its a "old" one like a civil war ara type?? not 100% sure thow

Post Your Comment
8/26/06 @ 8:53 PM
ihookem
ihookem
USER since 11/29/01
In some cases a felon can go deer hunting with a muzzleloader. Here is why, the B.A.T.F classifies a muzzloader as an antique unless you can change barrels like an Encore. You can't have a muzzleloader if it uses a primer. It has to be a true muzzleloader for it to be an antique, and then it is legal. This law was a loophole years back. I don't know if it has changed. Most lawyers don't know neither, but check the batf laws. P.S. This is not a personal experience, but the truth is there are a lot of felons out there hunting and I have no problem with them. I know many "good felons" and most should not be felons.

Post Your Comment