Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

Can felons use a muzzleloader during gun season

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

getherdone
See Profile
Level: General User
8/24/06 8:23 PM CST
I'm not a felon but a buddy is and we had an argument about this. Can a felon use a muzzleloader during gun season. I said yes because you can buy a muzzleloader without a back ground check. Any ideas?

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 22
DLAMA2
See Profile
9/7/06 2:24 PM CST
If it is not a serious felony (not sure what that would be...maybe gambling?), you can ask the judge at your trail to let you be able to use a weapon after your probation is up to hunt. Have heard of this/know its been done, but it will cost you I am sure....lawyer fee's.

Sweet80
See Profile
9/7/06 2:13 PM CST
For a non-violent felony, you may get governor's pardon after so many years of good behavior if you happen to know a State Senator who will sponsor you. Then you can possess any fire arm. Again, not from personal experience.

JR06
See Profile
9/7/06 9:29 AM CST
A buddy of mine asked the dnr the same question and they said no a muzleloader is considered a firearm.

Nolay
See Profile
9/1/06 9:01 PM CST
If you are subject to a restraining order you can't have a firearm. If you have been arrested for DV you probably have a TRO or injunction against you so no. If you have already been convicted (and not subject to an RO) and are on probation then it's agent discretion, but I don't know many who allow it

getherdone
See Profile
9/1/06 6:30 PM CST
So is that a big no for DV offenders to be able to hunt with a muzzleloader. And By the way anyone can be arrested for DV. According to the law someone has to be arrested when an officer is called out to a domestic dispute. Even if there was no abuse. My buddy got arrested because he was having an argument with his wife because he forgot to take garbage to the curb the night before. Nosy neighbors called cops for 2 minutes of yelling

arse
See Profile
8/31/06 3:36 PM CST
Why keep a spouse that may accuse you of DV when you didn't do it? If you did, then take what you get and hopefully, you get what you deserve.

Docknboatlift
See Profile
Level: MEMBER
8/27/06 8:34 PM CST
While I dont disagree with you about the false accusation thing reelman, at the same time, I bet you are as likely to be murdered by your spouse or significant other (current or former) than you are by some stranger.

The best way to keep the right to own a gun is to conduct yourself responsibly.

getherdone
See Profile
8/27/06 7:31 PM CST
I have another question than. Can someone who has been convicted of a domestic violence offense hunt with a muzzleloader. These people are not considered felons

lead-core
See Profile
8/27/06 3:08 PM CST
i think you can in wisconsin only if its a "old" one like a civil war ara type?? not 100% sure thow

ihookem
See Profile
8/26/06 8:52 PM CST
In some cases a felon can go deer hunting with a muzzleloader. Here is why, the B.A.T.F classifies a muzzloader as an antique unless you can change barrels like an Encore. You can't have a muzzleloader if it uses a primer. It has to be a true muzzleloader for it to be an antique, and then it is legal. This law was a loophole years back. I don't know if it has changed. Most lawyers don't know neither, but check the batf laws. P.S. This is not a personal experience, but the truth is there are a lot of felons out there hunting and I have no problem with them. I know many "good felons" and most should not be felons.

BugleTrout
BugleTrout
Level: MEMBER
8/26/06 4:26 PM CST
I have a family member who is a convicted felon of a non-violent crime. The conviction is 7 years old. He's been clean since the conviction and has really turned his life around. A couple years in jail will do that to a person.

Previous to the conviction, he was a dedicated hunter and is currently in the process of petitioning the Govenor to get the right to possess and hunt with a muzzleloader.

Knowing this much I gather it is not legal unless your friend gets the OK from the Powers That Be.

Nolay
See Profile
8/26/06 10:41 AM CST
WIangler. felons can buy a hunting license and can bow hunt in Wisconsin. Everyone else is correct though no they can not use a muzzleloader.

To be clear, they can't touch a firearm, they can't be the sole adult in a house where firearms are located--like dad is a felon but 14 yo kid has a shotgun. They can not be in a car with a firearm, they can not have a deer rifle with the bolt and magazine removed but simply "scoping" for deer. All examples of individuals I have either arrested myself (back in the day) or supervised who were arrested for possession of a firearm by a felon. Constructive possession also applies to this--walked into a house 4 20 somethings sitting around playing video games, a 9mm is on top of the TV, one of the kids is a felon, he get's arrested and the gun was confiscated. My advice to felons is treat them like the plague and be no where near them.

unclesmallie
See Profile
8/24/06 8:39 PM CST
It is illegal to be in possession of a gun or firearm in Wisconsin if you've been convicted of a previous felony. The penalties can be severe if you are found guilty. The law states that you are guilty of the charge if they can prove that:

The person has been convicted of a felony in Wisconsin, has been convicted in another state of a crime that would be a felony if committed in this state, has been adjudicated delinquent on or after April 21, 1994 of a crime that if committed by an adult in Wisconsin would be a felony, has been found not guilty by reason of mental disease or defect of a felony in Wisconsin, found not guilty by reason of insanity or mental illness in another state, has been committed for treatment under § 51.20 (13) (a) and ordered not to possess a firearm under § 51.20 (13) (cv), or has been enjoined under an injunction pursuant to § 813.12 or § 813. 122 That person possessed a firearm The maximum penalty for being a felon in possession of a gun on firearm under Wisconsin laws is 10 years in prison and a $25,000 fine, which is a class G felony.

Wisconsin Defense Strategies - Unlawful Possession of a Gun or Firearm Depending on the fact of the case, the typical defenses for a firearms possession charge are 1) can they prove that you were actually in possession of the gun, or 2) did they have a legitimate legal basis for when they found the weapon in your possession. I'll need to do a thorough examination of the police report and any other evidence against you before I would suggest exactly what the best way to fight these charges might be.

Free Consultation on Wisconsin Burglary

[This post was last edited on 8/24/06 at 8:48 PM]
Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 22
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply IceForce AquaVu Uncle Josh Fenwick

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook