Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

lead core

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

team do work
team do work
Level: General User
9/4/10 4:10 PM CST
okay so i have been doin the trolling thing on the big pond for years. never used lead core. couple questions

1. do you need a special rod reel for using it? 2. do flatt line it, run off dipseys, run off yellow birds, down riggers? 3. what brand do you prefer?

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 33
sslayer
sslayer
10/7/12 11:06 AM CST
fishingfestus: The Church Walleye Boards will pull a 10 color leadcore setup great. Most guys also use the the Walleye Board to troll 300' of 45# copper without problems. With heavier trailing lines you need to adjust the weight on the bottom of the board.

fishingfestus
See Profile
10/6/12 11:02 AM CST
I only started with leadcore on boards this last year using 5 colors on Daiwa 47's with about 100 yds. of backing. I have been fully converted to leadcore on boards as the results were phenomenal this past summer. Recently I had the opportunity to get several Okuma convector 45's pre loaded with 7 colors of leadcore and 150 yds. of backing. Upon them arriving, I can't believe the size of the these reels??? They are definitely quality reels, but did I make a mistake in ordering reels of this size. They are full of line to the top of the spools, but they just look outlandish in size when comparing them to my Daiwa's. Also, I have been using walleye boards with five colors with absolutely no problems, will I need to go to a bigger boards with the additional drag I will see by loading the board with several more colors of leadcore? P.S. I want to thank everyone positing info on these forums as you provide info that would take years to accumulate if each of us had to learn it all on our own. Thanks.

Red Rider
See Profile
5/2/12 8:04 PM CST
For a 10 color I'm switching from Okuma Convector 55's to 45's with super line backing. using my55'for copper

Grey Beard
See Profile
5/2/12 8:32 AM CST
There are a number of good options and depends on how much you want to spend and how much you will use it. The more $ the better drag system and retrieve ratio. Because it's leadcore you shouldn't need a line counter. I have some older Penn 330s that worked OK with good drags but slow. I use the discontinued Penn 895s that are a little faster.

Look for something with the 330's line capacity. I load mine backwards: first the 10 colors of leadcore, then 150' 30# mono(something to clip the board to that doesn't slip) then 150-200yds 30-40# braid then top off with more 30# mono. A full reel maximizes the retrieve rate.

It sounds like most who spend the big bucks love their Shimno Tekotas and would be 700 or 800 series for full core. Others rave about Okumas or Diawa Saltist. The less expensive Penn 309 will do the job.

Reels are an investment and likely will be used for many yrs so spend what you are comfortable with getting the best quality you can afford.

Grey Beard

sloshkosh
See Profile
5/2/12 8:19 AM CST
I got it on my penn 309 just fine, but on my okuma 30s you would be skimping on backer a little get get a fullcore on.

Use braid for backing if you can, you will just about double the amount of line you can get behind the leadcore.

Hunter5
See Profile
Level: MEMBER
5/2/12 6:19 AM CST
Can anyone comment on what is a good reel for 10 colors?

tinyfisher
tinyfisher
4/11/12 6:42 AM CST
x4

27lb lead, 20lb big-game for leader.

Red Rider
See Profile
4/9/12 8:59 PM CST
third it( second last post) the only time I ran less then 27# lead core I had it tear off twice.

sloshkosh
See Profile
4/9/12 8:30 PM CST
Second the last post.

justfish78
justfish78
4/9/12 6:41 PM CST
We run 27 lb test leadcore with 20 lb mono leader, I am sure you will get some different opinions on the mono leader pound test to use!

Loretta 08
See Profile
4/9/12 6:23 PM CST
I'm sorry if I've not looked at enough threads, but I'm trying to find out what lb.test lead core most of you guys run on the big pond. I saw 18lb. on 1 post. I've got 2 reels spools up with 18lb. lead core for walleye trolling. I'm sure I'll have to change leaders (from 12lb. big game to a heavier lb.test. Thank you for your help!

cds
See Profile
6/26/11 7:40 PM CST
It's nice to have two identical reels for leadcore. First reel 50' of leader,then the desired amount of leadcore,then backing to the point where the reel's full..Switch line from one reel to the other - it'll go on backing-first,then LC,then leader.

darrink
See Profile
6/26/11 5:49 PM CST
Pulled off 75 yards of line off my Penn 309 and planed on adding 6 to 7 colors to that reel. Started reeling and found out that I could only put on 5 colors with a 30 foot mono on the end. Boy does that stuff fill up a reel fast.

Now I just have to wait for west winds. Smile

tinyfisher
tinyfisher
6/23/11 8:02 PM CST
The willis knot works great, the harder you pull the tighter it gets. I use it for all leadcore connections (I just use 2 overhand knots when connecting to braid, although this is probably just to make me feel better).

You could use back-to-bcak uni knots or an allbright knot if you prefer. You could even use a small spro swivel to join between the leadcore and leader. Just remember when tying leadcore knots, remove the lead from inside, and just tie with the dacron sheath. Welcome to the world of sore forearms!

[This post was last edited on 6/23/11 at 8:05 PM]
darrink
See Profile
6/23/11 8:00 PM CST
I just checked out the Willis knot. It seems very simple, but seems like it will pull apart. Is there another knot to check out.

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 33
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick Baitmate

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook