Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

How to run a planer board?

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

Lund forever
See Profile
Level: General User
7/6/10 3:18 PM CST
Would like to add a planer board to my set up. Should be able to run my walleye board, right? Can I run a full lead core so the board can be clipped on the mono? Not a good idea to clip on the core, right? Would a smaller dipsie set to go straight down work? Any answers and advice would be appreciated. Lund

shortshot
shortshot
8/7/10 12:33 PM CST
run a 300 copper! then make your buddies reel it in because that sucks! copper goes off on my boat i run the other direction! Big Smile

Northern Nomad
Northern Nomad
8/7/10 12:15 PM CST
miggle,

A lot of fish get killed at that depth range all summer long, particularly at first light. So yes, it's worth a shot.

miggle
See Profile
Level: MEMBER
8/6/10 11:20 PM CST
I've heard of guys fishing the shallower water lately. I'm not a big salmon guy, usually do planers for walleye. Is it worth it to try to troll these shallower waters, getting my lures down to say 20-30 feet, for salmon coming in shallower? Sad

Cat Man J.J.
See Profile
7/7/10 11:43 PM CST
It sounds like your determined to get those lines off your boards deep. So I guess here are your options. 1) 8,9,10 colors of lead core 2) combination of lead core and snap weights above the lead core but you will have to let extra backing out. 3) You could also look into dive bombs, which I think you can run off your boards. A deep diving crank bait will only gain you approx. 15' or so. I'm not an expert but hope this helps a little. J.J.

Lund forever
See Profile
7/7/10 9:16 AM CST
Good advice, thanks. How about a larger crank bait on a board? How big of a snap weight would I need to get a flasher/fly to go down?

sloshkosh
See Profile
7/6/10 11:09 PM CST
If you run leadcore of a a board let it all out then clip the board to your backing, free spool it back slowly til is clears all of your dipseys and riggers then tighten it up and swing it in to place. Your walleye boards will be fine. Keep some tension no the line when letting it out so that it stays up high and doesnt sink into one of your deep lines.

Good luck.

Cat Man J.J.
See Profile
7/6/10 10:44 PM CST
No dipsies off planner boards, they will pull the board down. But plenty of guys run full cores off boards, but myself I use my boards to baits high and away from the boat 3,4,5 colors then run my deeper stuff inside. J.J.

Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick Baitmate

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook