How to run a planer board?

7/6/10 @ 3:18 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Lund forever
Lund forever
USER since 1/21/08
Would like to add a planer board to my set up. Should be able to run my walleye board, right? Can I run a full lead core so the board can be clipped on the mono? Not a good idea to clip on the core, right? Would a smaller dipsie set to go straight down work? Any answers and advice would be appreciated. Lund

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 Posts
8/7/10 @ 12:34 PM
shortshot
shortshot
USER since 9/16/02
run a 300 copper! then make your buddies reel it in because that sucks! copper goes off on my boat i run the other direction! Big Smile

Post Your Comment
8/7/10 @ 12:16 PM
Northern Nomad
Northern Nomad
USER since 4/23/03
miggle,

A lot of fish get killed at that depth range all summer long, particularly at first light. So yes, it's worth a shot.

Post Your Comment
8/6/10 @ 11:21 PM
miggle
miggle
MEMBER since 6/24/06
I've heard of guys fishing the shallower water lately. I'm not a big salmon guy, usually do planers for walleye. Is it worth it to try to troll these shallower waters, getting my lures down to say 20-30 feet, for salmon coming in shallower? Sad

Post Your Comment
7/7/10 @ 11:44 PM
Cat Man J.J.
Cat Man J.J.
USER since 5/9/03
It sounds like your determined to get those lines off your boards deep. So I guess here are your options. 1) 8,9,10 colors of lead core 2) combination of lead core and snap weights above the lead core but you will have to let extra backing out. 3) You could also look into dive bombs, which I think you can run off your boards. A deep diving crank bait will only gain you approx. 15' or so. I'm not an expert but hope this helps a little. J.J.

Post Your Comment
7/7/10 @ 9:16 AM
Lund forever
Lund forever
USER since 1/21/08
Good advice, thanks. How about a larger crank bait on a board? How big of a snap weight would I need to get a flasher/fly to go down?

Post Your Comment
7/6/10 @ 11:09 PM
sloshkosh
sloshkosh
USER since 3/30/04
If you run leadcore of a a board let it all out then clip the board to your backing, free spool it back slowly til is clears all of your dipseys and riggers then tighten it up and swing it in to place. Your walleye boards will be fine. Keep some tension no the line when letting it out so that it stays up high and doesnt sink into one of your deep lines.

Good luck.

Post Your Comment
7/6/10 @ 10:44 PM
Cat Man J.J.
Cat Man J.J.
USER since 5/9/03
No dipsies off planner boards, they will pull the board down. But plenty of guys run full cores off boards, but myself I use my boards to baits high and away from the boat 3,4,5 colors then run my deeper stuff inside. J.J.

Post Your Comment