SEARCH
MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

Eating Salmon - Chinook?

7/29/15 @ 12:33 PM
INITIAL POST
cycleguy
User since 2/8/05
Still waiting to put the first chinook in my boat, and as I start heading back out, when does the eating quality start to change? I wouldn't consider one of the black half dead ones coming up the rivers… (myself) but are they all pretty good through a certain time of the year, like for another month or so? Yes, I'm a newbie!
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
8/1/15 @ 9:02 AM
cycleguy
User since 2/8/05
Perfect.. TY
7/31/15 @ 8:06 PM
Robbollio
Robbollio
User since 10/17/04
August i wouldn't even worry about it probably. Id say end of September you might begin to see a zombie fish.
7/31/15 @ 9:00 AM
cycleguy
User since 2/8/05
Typically, the next moth you'll catch good quality fish though? Is there a rough timeline when the change starts?
7/31/15 @ 8:30 AM
machoprogrammer
User since 1/19/07
If the meat is still orangeish/pink, it's good. Yellow is good for smoking still, but white is just fertilizer. My rule is if it's black, I send it back. If it's silver through light brown, it's likely good. That said, there's black salmon with pink meat and silver salmon with white meat out there, so you never know 100%. One time I got one salmon up at Mishicot in November and it was dark as could be and it still had pink meat.
7/29/15 @ 2:02 PM
Robbollio
Robbollio
User since 10/17/04
If you get one in the lake with a 'suntan' its still ok. The fish in the rivers aren't as pink fleshed for sure. If you think its maybe a bit off colored just smoke it. That's the way I look at it.
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE