SEARCH
MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

Freezing or vacuum sealing fish

7/7/15 @ 8:41 AM
INITIAL POST
mayo16
User since 5/23/12
I have always froze my fish in zip lock bags in water. Problem with that is freezer space. I have just recently tried vacuum sealing them. But the seal doesn't stay all the time. Which is time consuming. So if anyone has input on better way to vacuum seal them or just a better way to freeze them your input would be appropriate. Thanks.
Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
1/29/19 @ 12:11 PM
Shellfish
User since 7/19/03

The enemy of  frozen food is oxygen, (air).  If you are having leaks with your vac sealer you need to look for the culprit that is causing the leak.  

One problem for leaks is a punctured bag.  Bones or Sharp edges can make a tiny hole in your sealed bag and air will get in.  Be aware and examine what you are vac sealing.

Second big issue is fluid coming from the fish or fillet and getting into your sealed edge as you are sealing.  This will always cause a leak.

What can you do to remedy this issue.  Take your fresh fillets and pat them dry with paper towels, then place fillets on big cookie sheet and flash freeze for 10 minutes in deep freezer.  Place flash frozen fillet carefully into bag with one end presealed.  Try not to smear fillet fluids onto the opening were you will need to seal again.  I then place a folded paper towel which crosses the width of the bag up against the fillet.  Once again make sure opening is clean and dry.  Only then, seal the last open end.  Done this way the fillet will last a long time.  If you can do extended vacuum and seal on your machine, do it.  You can't get too much air out.

The mention of cling wrap around the fillet first is a good idea and I will give that a try to see if that makes process easier.

Good luck, Shellfish

1/29/19 @ 9:03 AM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

A technique I picked up in Alaska that I believe works better than any other is to wrap fillets in cling wrap (not cheap plastic wrap) and THEN vacuum seal.

I've had halibut last 2+ years in perfect condition. Amazing!

1/29/19 @ 8:48 AM
port1042
PRO MEMBER User since 2/11/12

The lodge we go to in Canada cleans and freezes our fish for us. They use good old fashioned freezer paper. The fish seem to keep very well using it.

7/8/15 @ 2:41 PM
mayo16
User since 5/23/12
Thanx for all the good input on this topic. Much appreciated.
7/8/15 @ 11:02 AM
hunt2labs
hunt2labs
User since 4/9/03
To keep liquid from fish or meat from getting drawn into the vacuum sealer, put it in freezer first on a cookie sheet sprayed with Pam. Once fillet is semi solid, vacuum away without all the juice getting in the way of the heat seal.
7/7/15 @ 5:49 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
I cannot imagine not having my vacuum sealer. I freeze up a bunch of salmon every summer and eat the last few fillets in early spring with no leakage or freezer burn. Ditto on double sealing the bags. I used to have an occasional "leaker", but after double sealing no incidents at all. Big Smile
7/7/15 @ 10:37 AM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11
I find freezing salmon or trout is best when cut into portion size pieces and wrapped tightly in regular old plastic wrap. The key is keeping air off the meat and plastic wrap does it well plus I don't have to worry about the vacuum seal. I never experimented how long it'll stay good because I eat or give away frozen fish within a few months. I freeze all my game meat (mostly turkey and waterfowl) in plastic wrap and I have had no problems up to a year. One thing with vacuum sealed anything is to cut the bag open to break the seal before thawing (or unthawing as it is typically said in WI). Thawing anything while still sealed in a vacuum will suck the moisture out.
7/7/15 @ 9:07 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
Are you getting rid of any water from the fillets before sealing? Water getting sucked onto the surface of the bag that is being sealed can cause the seal to not set correctly. I usually place the fillets in the bag and pop them in the freezer for an hour or so before sealing. I’ve also folded up a paper towel and lined the bag from side to side just inside of where you will make the seal to absorb any water that is pulled towards the vacuum sealer. I don’t typically keep enough fish to have a need for long-term freezer storage but I have noticed that fillets don’t keep as well in vacuum sealed freezer bags as they do in a block of water. I had cleaned enough bluegills a year ago in spring and froze them in a Ziploc bag full of water for a party last summer that never happened. I thawed them for a fish fry this past weekend and they were still very good. I wouldn’t have tried that with year-old vacuum sealed fish.
Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE