MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

targeting lake trout

7/21/14 @ 3:15 PM
INITIAL POST
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
OK fellas. With things being so slow I have decided to put more effort into targeting lakers in the hopes of catching a few smaller ones to smoke. Problem is I just can't seem to catch any no matter what I do. I have tried f/f and spoons in various sizes and colors and fished the bottom 25 feet in 80-100 fow even out to 150 fow and still no dice. What gives? I am fishing off of Racine and Milwaukee. Do I need to slow down or something? Stumped. Anybody with some good advice?
Displaying 1 to 15 of 17 posts
6/22/18 @ 7:08 AM
bass ackwards31
User since 1/18/17

Milwaukee (to the north) you’ll have no issues tapping bottom

6/21/18 @ 8:39 PM
Bullman
User since 4/10/15

Thanks for your reply. I have never let the rigger balls hit the bottom. Is there anything that can go wrong when this happens? I could run a 1lb lead ball on the wire to get it down as well.

6/21/18 @ 5:08 PM
bass ackwards31
User since 1/18/17

Bullman, that will set you up for success. Try slowing down as well. That 1.5-1.8 also. Bouncing off the bottom occasionally 

6/21/18 @ 8:20 AM
Bullman
User since 4/10/15

I have a guy that has never caught a laker and wants me to try and get him one. Not a species I target and have read most of the posts here, but was looking for the prefered depth and any special gear. Thinking of running silver or white flashers with spin and glows close to the bottom in 70 - 100 fow. Any other suggestion would be appreciated. I'll be fishing out of MKE.

7/5/15 @ 4:28 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
What size spin n glo's are you guys using to target the lakers? Might want to dedicate a rigger to em if the silver fish continue to exist only in an alternate universe. I was thinking 3/4". What are your favorite colors? Thanks guys.
7/23/14 @ 2:29 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
That is hilarious Bjorn. I think that they know I am trying for them and they deliberately avoid me. Ha-ha!
7/23/14 @ 11:29 AM
boscrowe
boscrowe
User since 2/28/09
May sound funny but I've been doing everything I can to not catch them and can only catch them 10 in the last two trips out . Best laker rig for me has been 2-3 color spoons blk/green, in 137' . I even went to 220 Sunday put on a orange spoon and caught one in 10 min .
7/22/14 @ 1:48 PM
irishman46
irishman46
User since 3/23/12
Jimmy check your e-mail Mike
7/22/14 @ 1:33 PM
irishman46
irishman46
User since 3/23/12
I agree Jimmy,I told you how we lost that log bottom bouncing last Friday.Tried again Sunday with Terry,but no luck.I know where and how to find them when we get the boat rigged.
7/22/14 @ 12:14 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
Remember Mike, one man's trash is another man's treasure. Besides, it's nice to once in a while reel in an old boot.
7/22/14 @ 10:48 AM
irishman46
irishman46
User since 3/23/12
YUCK!! Puke
7/22/14 @ 10:36 AM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
Thanks for the advice. When I did bounce bottom this summer it was mud bottom there (stuck on the bottom of the rigger ball) so maybe this is the problem entirely. I will try further North and look for sand.
7/22/14 @ 12:40 AM
luckylou
luckylou
User since 8/25/11
Get as far north (whitefish bayish) as you can. Find sand and clay bottom. My favorite laker rig is the old license plate with a spin n glo. If you can, bounce the bottom. As you pull those things through the sand you'll pick up lakers. Bouncing bottom is not required. Rule of thumb is usually trying too slow will pull lakers. It seems to be true. I catch a lot of medium sized lakers suspended higher up, especially in this years colder water. However most of my large lakers come within 15 feet of bottom on flashers/dodgers.
7/21/14 @ 7:41 PM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04
Target them in early spring. Keep baits right on the bottom. Wire line and pound balls with smaller dodgers and flies or float'n spins used to do the trick. Bouncing bottom once in a while seemed to help. They're pretty much an incidental catch later in the year. Best of luck....I love them smoked too. Mesquite charcoal grilled is a great second option.
7/21/14 @ 6:29 PM
hypovolemicshock
hypovolemicshock
User since 6/20/11
Most of mine have been 30-40 foot down in 60-236 fow. Had 1 that was 10 foot down and the laker hit it in 90 fow. My speed at the ball has been 2. Catching quite a few this year. I think I have only gone out once and not got some.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 17 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE