SEARCH
MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

stacking downriggers

1/28/14 @ 10:23 AM
INITIAL POST
fishingfestus
User since 7/23/10
Have never to date stacked downriggers. Have several questions I would like explained? I have viewed stacking releases and note that some are simply an alligator clip with a release on the other end, others are two releases (one on each end) with an accompanying snap on an additional cable. Can someone point in the right direction for the best stacking release and how to properly use one. In addition, I have a question as to which line, (line behind release on ball or stacked line above) do you have as the longest of the two lines? Thank you much for any answers and I hope winter starts to give it up to spring.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 21 posts
5/10/14 @ 9:37 AM
sslayer
User since 6/9/06
Attaching multiple lines to one downrigger can be done by stacking but the presentation requires the initial attachment and then multiple attachments when changing baits, resetting lines after a release or a fish hook up. Just like a slider presentation you need to factor in the lead lengths of the bottom bait and the stacked bait as well as the bait or attractor trolled foot prints, downrigger weight deployment speed and tangling the bottom line on a hook up when the line rises past the stacked line(s). Generally a stacking presentation is a flasher fly or dodger fly on the bottom line that uses a 10’ to 20’ lead between the downrigger weight release and the attractor. The trolling foot print of the FF or DF needs to considered when you determine your lead length, shorter leads are thought to have the best trolling pattern while longer leads are actually allowing a smaller diameter trolling pattern where the flasher or dodger are more likely to spin. The trolling speed also is a factor that determines an attractor setup’s foot print. If you attach a stacked line without enough separation between the trolling pattern of the bottom line and the stacked line above you can expect major tangles. If there are underwater currents they too can raise havoc when stacking separation isn’t great enough between baits and attractors. The bait selection for a stacked line is generally a spoon because it has one hook and a small foot print. The stacked line is set at a distance that is equal to the lead length of the bottom presentation plus the bottom bait’s foot print plus the foot print of the stacked line’s bait to minimize tangles. So if the lead on the bottom bait is 15’ and you believe the trolling foot print is 5’ plus the foot print of the stacked line’s bait is 3’, set the stacker a minimum of 25’ above the bottom line. Maintaining 25’ between stacked lines will help during deployment and when a fish hook up occurs on the bottom line in that this spacing should provide enough separation for the trolling foot print of each bait as well as allowing the released line to clear the stacked presentation as the fish rises past the stacked bait. Things to consider when attaching the stacked line are lead length between the stacker release and bait, number of hooks on bait and the trolling foot print of the stacked bait. Keeping the stacked bait’s lead shorter, using a spoon with a small trolled foot print and a siwash hook will help to minimize tangles. When lowering a stacked presentation make sure the boat is at your desired trolling speed and lower the downrigger weight slowly to the desired depth. Plastic flashers have some buoyancy and will rise if you freefall the downrigger weight, under water currents will also affect a flasher as it drops too. Maintaining a reasonable separation between the stacked lines and deploying the stacked presentation at a reasonable drop rate will help to minimize line tangles. Personally an additional copper rig, or leadcore on an inline planer board will produce better catching results and is a lot less hassle, especially if fishing is slow. The clarity of the water these days has made stacking of downriggers an option rarely used. Good Luck SS
5/8/14 @ 4:18 PM
Jason Woda
User since 9/1/01
I used to run this back in the day. It was effective when the water wasn't as clear. I agree, I would much rather run another board than this tho. If you do run this, keep track this year and see if the top or bottom bait produces more. My bet would be bottom by a pretty good margin. I can remember that this does tangle and the extra bait flopping around you have to watch out for so you don't get it in the back of the head. Good luck!
5/8/14 @ 2:15 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
I've never seen the box rig before but I like it. I can't stand running stackers just because it's a PITA setting the stacker line. The only issue with this one would be storage and netting a fish with that much line out once the swivel is at the rod but I could handle that.
5/8/14 @ 10:59 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04
The disadvantage is you can't change the distances like with a fixed slider. And yes, it still counts as two baits. The advantage is the rig reels up to the snap on the the shorter of the two legs and you clip the longer leg to a rubberband on a guide for easy storage. It's a rod I grab when a third party comes aboard and I can quickly add extra stuff to my spread."Slosh" might like this combo; hook a SWR to the regular ball release so it trails behind and below the ball, lower it 10 feet or so, then clip on a box rig above the ball fastened to the cable with the clip shown in the earlier post.... Three baits far enough from the ball to reduce spooking and the shorter legs of the box rig are less likely to snag the core line when it pops.
5/8/14 @ 8:06 AM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
User since 3/20/02
James - What is the advantage of that box rig in Wis over a fixed stacker (additional rod) since they count baits in the water vs rods? I can see using it is Michigan where rods are counted not baits.
5/8/14 @ 7:37 AM
sloshkosh
sloshkosh
User since 3/30/04
My bad James. Your right. eont know anyone personally who runs that one. Interesting though.
5/7/14 @ 10:08 PM
JamesD
JamesD
It's not a slider....it's a box rig. Hope this pic is worth a bunch of words.
5/7/14 @ 2:47 PM
sloshkosh
sloshkosh
User since 3/30/04
James D described a slider rig which is cost effective way to get an extra line down becuase you literally run 2 spoons or baits off of one rod. 2 swivels and a 6 foot piece of mono and you have an extra bait in the water. Stacking is fine if you have enough guys and lines legal to do it plus the fish are fairly deep. I wouldnt ditch 2 mid range boards these days to stack more downriggers if your only running 6/ 8 lines though. Unless the water is super warm up top and its dead down to like 70 feet.
5/7/14 @ 12:28 PM
Rhino46
Rhino46
User since 7/18/11
I am also a fan of the Scotty release. Even though I do not stack, I will be using these over the Black Marine kiterelease clips because I am sick of bringing the ball into the boat everytime I need to set a line
5/7/14 @ 11:58 AM
JamesD
JamesD
I did more fishing with downriggers because I saw fish deeper last year. The pic shows the steel clips I connect to the rigger cable to stack lines. The plunger release holds best of the two. Dropping the ball deep with stackers attached puts a lot of tug on a release and the big jon release holds the line best. Lake-Link's own; Capt. Lee Haasch has an article In May's issue of Midwest Outdoors on page 8. He has a diagram of a "double hook downrigger set up" that is the easiest possible way to get extra baits behind the ball. Two baits end up on one rod when you tie a small swivel that can run thru your rod guides safely and, palomar tie on a flourocarbon leader that has one leg twice the length of the other ( start with a piece of flouro a little less than three times the length of your rod). Tie on sampo swivels to the end of each leg and loop the middle of the longer leg in your rigger release. Getting more baits where the fish are when they are deep is reason enough for me to stack baits.
3/4/14 @ 2:16 PM
Smohecan
User since 10/11/11
I run 1 stacker while im out there, Rarely do i ever have issues, like said before just leave enough room between the top and bottom, make sure if running a flasher/fly combo that rig goes on the bottom and allow for a little extra room. But i have had alot of luck on my top rigger. Good Luck
2/26/14 @ 5:34 AM
MuskyHunter
MuskyHunter
User since 6/17/01
We run a 17' boat and will do 12 lines. 4 riggers 2 dips and 6 boards. Stacking turns into a real pain. Only so much room in a 17 when you have 4 guys. Making a big push this year to focus more on copper and core vs relying on the riggers. We still do well on them but we can take away alot of headaches by not stacking.
2/25/14 @ 10:34 PM
luckylou
luckylou
User since 8/25/11
Here's why I say don't stack: Regardless of whether you do or don't stack, the downrigger bite is tapering off a bit on the lake. Most cite the water clarity as the main reason for this - lots of guys are evolving their spread to include multiple lead and copper set ups - a more stealthy approach than traditional riggers. If you have 2 downriggers, you have enough Smile In theory, the only reason you'd ever want to stack is when you need to fish DEEP (100+) and you want to get as many rods as possible in the target zone. Problem here, stacking this deep means tangles galore. If "jamming rods" in the water to maximize efficiency is the reason you're stacking, I'd save yourself the trouble and run another board. Fewer tangles, and honestly - more fish of late (last 5 years or so). Stacking also adds some inefficient maintenance (time) to fishing - either way....tangle, top fish, bottom fish, you're pulling rods out of the water. If you're just getting into this...I wouldn't bother with the hassle (My opinion). I have an 18' boat, and run 12 rods regularly with only 2 riggers.
2/24/14 @ 4:38 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
cohoho, you run 5 people in a 17' boat? Sometimes we don't run our limit of rods because mid-day it seems we do better on Kings by having fewer lines in the water.
2/24/14 @ 1:24 PM
sloshkosh
sloshkosh
User since 3/30/04
Use the scottys with the double releases. Let you main lure down like you would any other time. Lets say you have a 50 feet stretch from the cannonball to your lure. Let that set up down 20 feet and then using your stacker release let our your next lure 30 feet behind the boat and pinch the other side of the stacker release on your cable. Let everything down slowly and under tension to get your main line down to 80 feet (50 back) and 60 down (30 back) . I have heard guys doing it otherwise but the thought behind this setup was that if a fish hits the lower lure he is already below and behind your first bait. He would have to charge up and towards the boat to get into that top lure. If a fish hit your top lure he is already above the main lure attached to your cannonball so you should be good there. As always nothing is 100 percent and fish will run where they want to for the most part. I would agree that last year the downrigger bite was poor and if fishing with 6 or 9 rods I wouldnt feel the need to stack as copper and leadcore lines have been so valuable that I would rather run a nice wide spread and get baits out away from the boat in there own space instead of packing everything right tight to the boat in one big cluster. If you have the space to run for lines or the fish are deep go ahead and stack it up.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 21 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE