SEARCH
MORE
General Outdoor Discussion

COYWOLF????

11/10/10 @ 5:47 PM
INITIAL POST
Steve White
User since 3/17/04
As I walked up to one of my sets this morning. A head popped up. I said good morning Mr. Coyote. Did a double take, and said WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU!!!!!

My best guess is a coywolf. To state the obvious a cross of a yote and wolf. No way was it a wolf pup as they are much bigger this time of year. Nearing full grown. Yet there is no way in my mind this is a coyote either!! That is my size 11 boot next to it's back leg. That is a lot of leg for a young coyote. Also look at the size of them ears. They are longer than the muzzle. I really don't know for sure. I do know that I have seen hundreds of coyotes from pups to monster adults. This did not look like a pure coyote to me!

The world may never know the truth. Since the only evidence of it possibly existing is this picture. Even then this may be a internet hoax . Wink Wink Wink

Displaying 11 to 20 of 36 posts
11/12/10 @ 11:19 AM
buckbrush
User since 1/1/02
This is from one of several websites which state the gray timber as one and the same:

Thanks, but the info you posted reads like it was written as a general overview. I was referring to the latest taxonomic studies of Great Lakes wolves, wherein the gray wolf and timber wolf are differentiated through DNA analysis into separate and distinct subspecies;

Nowak, R.M. 2009. "Taxonomy, morphology, and genetics of wolves in the Great Lakes region". Pp. 233–250, In A.P. Wydeven, T.R. Van Deelen, and E.J. Heske (Eds.). Recovery of Gray Wolves in the Great Lakes Region of the United States. Springer, New York, NY 350 pp.

11/12/10 @ 10:27 AM
canine_trapper
User since 8/26/06
Looks like a mangy coyote pup to me. Guessing it didn't grow into it's legs due to the mange.

11/12/10 @ 10:17 AM
wicatdaddy
User since 2/16/10
maybe a coy-dog but not a coy wolf....where theres wolves,the coyotes are sure to be gone...wolves will not tolerate any other canine, that isnt a part of the pack,in its territory.thats why so many dogs get mauled and killed in the woods while hunting..ive found a dead coyote ripped in half in jackson cnty...first suspect is the wolf...this just looks like a sickly coyote..there are a lot of wolf/dog hybrids out there but looking at this i dont think it is...wolf paws are huge too...they kinda look funny when they are pups because of this and there long legs...which this does have some pretty lanky legs but who knows its just a pic...could be anything...maybe chupacabra

11/12/10 @ 9:15 AM
SFC S
User since 1/24/06
i guess that huge ear and them long legs had me thinkin wolf pup- evrything else sure looks like a mangy yote though

11/12/10 @ 8:37 AM
Gone 4 Now
User since 4/26/08
H & H, I will agree with you, Just a sick yote. Wildman, You better burn that boot !
11/12/10 @ 7:56 AM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01
I'm I the only one that thinks it's just a mangy coyote? Blush

11/12/10 @ 5:41 AM
buckbrush
User since 1/1/02
There is such thing as a timber wolf, as well as a gray wolf, they are the same thing, just different knick names

I think you need to re-read my post - they're not the same animal.

11/11/10 @ 10:30 PM
backwoods43
backwoods43
User since 3/14/10
Buckbrush - you are absolutely right, the gray/timber wolf comes from the latin word, canis lupis, the red wolf is canis rufis ktowne - There is such thing as a timber wolf, as well as a gray wolf, they are the same thing, just different knick names

11/11/10 @ 6:08 PM
Steve White
User since 3/17/04
The crossing of these canines is a scary thing. A coywolf seems to be more agressive and a bit smarter. Like they got the best of them both . Would also explain the size of some of these coyotes around here. We see many that are over 40lbs. Some are even bigger yet.

11/11/10 @ 3:38 PM
buckbrush
User since 1/1/02
no such thing as a timber; they are a gray wolf nickname in some places

Not true - Canis lycaon is the Eastern Timber Wolf, found in relatively pure strains in eastern Canada, most notably the area around Algonquin Nat'l Park. As one moves west into the Great Lakes area there is significant hybridization with Canis lupus, commonly known as the Gray Wolf. As you move further west in Canada and the Northern Rocky Mountains the Canis lupus strain becomes more pure.

In the Great Lakes region it's common to find pure lupus and lycaon haplotypes in the same pack, as well as hybrids of the two.

Displaying 11 to 20 of 36 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE