Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

COYWOLF????

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

Steve White
See Profile
Level: General User
11/10/10 5:46 PM CST
As I walked up to one of my sets this morning. A head popped up. I said good morning Mr. Coyote. Did a double take, and said WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU!!!!!

My best guess is a coywolf. To state the obvious a cross of a yote and wolf. No way was it a wolf pup as they are much bigger this time of year. Nearing full grown. Yet there is no way in my mind this is a coyote either!! That is my size 11 boot next to it's back leg. That is a lot of leg for a young coyote. Also look at the size of them ears. They are longer than the muzzle. I really don't know for sure. I do know that I have seen hundreds of coyotes from pups to monster adults. This did not look like a pure coyote to me!

The world may never know the truth. Since the only evidence of it possibly existing is this picture. Even then this may be a internet hoax . Wink Wink Wink

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 36
mwgazoo
mwgazoo
1/14/11 8:53 PM CST
CHUPACHABRA!!!!!!

meestalubba
meestalubba
12/27/10 11:28 AM CST
flame me if i'm mistaken, but i do believe that shooting a hybrid is not at all illegal in wisconsin because the DNR considers them an invasive species (like regular wolves arent lol) and they are exceedingly dangerous in the wild due to even less fear of humans (not that full blooded wolves fear humans either).

there are several references in past wolf reports of investigations into wolf shootings that were ceased due to finding out that the wolf in question was a hybrid.

ihookem
See Profile
12/26/10 9:12 PM CST
Don't show the dnr, if it is 1/4 wolf they will slap the cuffs on you. A guy in Oshkosh shot a hybrid and showed the dnr, they took it for testing and said if it is part wolf you may be charged.

billybabesfreind
billybabesfreind
12/26/10 7:02 AM CST
I have noticed over the years that there are some coyotes that have increased in size, the average coyote is about 35 inches long from nose to base of tail, as a trapper and I average about 30 coyote a year I have trapped and shot some coyotes that have reached 46 inches from tip of nose to base of tail, and a wolf can be from 45 inches to 50 inches, it seems the coyote are getting a bit larger, 60 lb coyotes are getting realy common when years ago a 40 lb coyote was big, we are over run with coyote...shot them all Yawn

jkb
See Profile
12/26/10 6:43 AM CST
Is it just me or doesn't that "Coyote " in the article look like a husky? Doesn't the face have a lot of white on it or is it the lighting?

Steve White
See Profile
12/26/10 5:26 AM CST
I thought I would add this link to this thread. A story about a 104lb coyote shot in MO. The DNR said they DNA tested it. Sounds a bit like a cover up to me!!

http://www.kmbc.com/r/26121874/detail.html

Steve White
See Profile
11/18/10 5:49 PM CST
LOL Mike! Don't have that app on my barrage! The 2nd on is actually smaller than the first. Maybe because of being a female. Still it's the legs that keep blowing me away. They are just so long for what a yote would be.

muskrat30
muskrat30
11/18/10 4:45 AM CST
It does look like it needed to be bagged, good job.

Steve White
See Profile
11/17/10 7:12 PM CST
Well here is number 2!!!!! May just get the whole litter!!! Well that is if they exsisted Wink

Gorilla
Gorilla
11/13/10 11:41 PM CST
DUHHHHHHHHH, don't you all know this why we have the eradication zone. This was a once healthy wolf who ate a whitetail with CWD.

Steve White
See Profile
11/12/10 9:05 PM CST
Cat daddy- They can and do cross breed. Some of the eastern states have a big problem with it. Like PA, and NY. Simple google search will give you plenty to read. This will be the first one you will see.

Coywolf

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The coywolf is a term used to refer to hybrids between a Coyote (Canis latrans) and the Gray wolf (Canis lupus) or the Red wolf (Canis lupus rufus).

buckbrush
buckbrush
11/12/10 11:18 AM CST
This is from one of several websites which state the gray timber as one and the same:

Thanks, but the info you posted reads like it was written as a general overview. I was referring to the latest taxonomic studies of Great Lakes wolves, wherein the gray wolf and timber wolf are differentiated through DNA analysis into separate and distinct subspecies;

Nowak, R.M. 2009. "Taxonomy, morphology, and genetics of wolves in the Great Lakes region". Pp. 233–250, In A.P. Wydeven, T.R. Van Deelen, and E.J. Heske (Eds.). Recovery of Gray Wolves in the Great Lakes Region of the United States. Springer, New York, NY 350 pp.

canine_trapper
See Profile
11/12/10 10:26 AM CST
Looks like a mangy coyote pup to me. Guessing it didn't grow into it's legs due to the mange.

wicatdaddy
See Profile
11/12/10 10:17 AM CST
maybe a coy-dog but not a coy wolf....where theres wolves,the coyotes are sure to be gone...wolves will not tolerate any other canine, that isnt a part of the pack,in its territory.thats why so many dogs get mauled and killed in the woods while hunting..ive found a dead coyote ripped in half in jackson cnty...first suspect is the wolf...this just looks like a sickly coyote..there are a lot of wolf/dog hybrids out there but looking at this i dont think it is...wolf paws are huge too...they kinda look funny when they are pups because of this and there long legs...which this does have some pretty lanky legs but who knows its just a pic...could be anything...maybe chupacabra

SFC S
See Profile
11/12/10 9:15 AM CST
i guess that huge ear and them long legs had me thinkin wolf pup- evrything else sure looks like a mangy yote though

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 36
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick Baitmate

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook