Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

cub cadet chainsaws

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

reel1
reel1
Level: General User
5/21/06 3:10 PM CST
Hello,

Has anyone had any experience running a cub cadet chainsaw? Personally I didn't know that cub even made saws, apparently they're made by Husquavarna. I saw them on sale at Farm and Barn for a pretty good price, but I don't want to buy a piece of junk. I'm just wondering if they are as dependable as a husquavarna

cds
See Profile
5/28/06 8:50 AM CST
I can certainly understand that point of view...MORE POWER - grunt,grunt,grunt.

With having a small,medium,and big saw,I find I use the small topping saws the most. The big gun only comes out for big wood. They take too long to sharpen if only using for small stuff,and it's easier to kiss the dirt with a big bar and small wood.

timberjack
See Profile
5/24/06 11:33 AM CST
I don't like messing around. If you have a msaller saw, it seems like you always need a bigger one to get things done. If all you ever do is some limbing...a smaller saw is ok. I like the 44 the best.

cds
See Profile
5/23/06 2:49 PM CST
Timber - The 046?..That's a lot of saw. It all depends on what he's doing. We've got 2-029's (both with 20" bars),2 topping saws (12" bars) and an 049 (32" bar). Each has it's use,but for general all around use,the 029's are just fine - and not nearly as heavy as the 046.

Now,if he's dropping decent sized oaks,then a bigger saw's necessary. But if he's just cuttin' limbwood,or cleaning up storm damage around the house...

timberjack
See Profile
5/23/06 9:42 AM CST
Almost identical to Huskys. We had one of those as well and it was ok, but not as long lived as a Stihl. As far as balance goes, I much preferred the Husky or Jonsred, but we could not keep them running as well as the Stihls. Both Husqvarna and Jonsred are owned by Electrolux.

reel1
reel1
5/23/06 7:51 AM CST
what do you guys think of Johnsered saws?

timberjack
See Profile
5/22/06 3:47 PM CST
I haved used Husks and Stihls professionally for 6 years. I like both saws, but would not buy a Husky that was cheapened down so much. If you use a saw much, spend some money and get a better one from a reputable dealer (one that professional go to). A stihl will outlive you if you take care of it. Also, I reccomend a 24 inch bar...not to look impressive, but it provides better balance on a large saw, and it decreases fatigue from bending over so much with a short bar. Huskys are nice and light with a good balance, but were not as reliable as Stihl...stay away from cub cadet if you want a saw that lasts. I recommend an 044 or 046 model in sthl.

[This post was last edited on 5/22/06 at 3:43 PM]
reel1
reel1
5/22/06 7:53 AM CST
Lund- your right about Stihl being a good saw. I've had one for years and never had a problem with it, but it's only a 16" bar and I'm lookin for a 20". You can't touch a husk or stihl for under $450, the cub is on sale for 200. I just don't want it to turn out like homelight or poulon. You save a lot of money on gas with those bad boys because they never run.

Thanks for the input. I think I'll save up some money and buy a Stihl, then I know I'm safe

lund-1
See Profile
5/21/06 7:06 PM CST
Stick with the Husker or Stihl. Both good saws.

Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick HT Plano

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook