Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

Wyoming do it yourself pronghorn hunt?

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

irishff
irishff
Level: General User
11/24/09 10:14 AM CST
I was toying with the idea of planing a do it yourself Wyoming pronghorn (gun) hunt. Have any of you Lake-Linkers tried this? I Would be interested in any input. Pros and cons, expenses, advice, etc.

Thanks, irishff

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 31
tuc27
tuc27
10/10/10 7:12 PM CST
Starting to get really excited!!! Started packing this weekend and we are leaving on Wed! Our Season starts on Friday. Good luck to anyone else heading out there!

BuckBuster54217
BuckBuster54217
10/2/10 7:29 PM CST
The DIY antelope hunt turned out great for me. We got out to wyoming wednesday around noon and got a few hours of scouting in, scouted all day thursday and didn't see many antelope at all. Talked to many long time hunters and everyone said that this year was the worst any of them saw for numbers or size. Season opened on Friday and we located a group of 1 buck and 3 does that we saw late thursday night and got setup on them. Got to within 225 yards but there was too much grass in the way. They spooked from someone watching off of the road and ran over the next hill. So we snuck up over the next rise and belly crawled to within 150 yards of them at which time 2 of the does saw us and started to run off. The buck didn't know what was going on and ran about 30 yards and stopped. This gave me enough time to get the gun up and shoot. Dropped him on the spot. The does ran off about 100 yards and stopped to see what was going on. Took the closest doe. Got both animals within 1 minute of each other and only 1 hour into the hunt. 13 hours of driving for 1 hour of hunting and then 13 hours driving back, Too much time in the truck but it was a blast.

fetch-um-up
fetch-um-up
8/15/10 6:33 PM CST
Lot's of BLM land in Wy. Also free landowner list available from Forestry Office in Gillette, I think. Not a lot of free private land because of so many outfitters in the best areas, but still worth asking around. Or my favorite, stopping at the local cafe for breakfast and talking to the ranchers..................

big mac
See Profile
Level: MEMBER
8/14/10 5:24 PM CST
BuckBuster

Please let me know how it goes. I want to get out and do it myself, but other obligations kind of put an end to that this year.

Good luck, Big Mac

BuckBuster54217
BuckBuster54217
8/12/10 8:45 PM CST
Big mac, I called the newcastle chamber of commerce and they sent me a list of local landowners who allow antelope hunting so I have that. I am hoping to get my buck and doe hunting only public land but am going to have a few landowners permission in case I need to hunt private land. Thanks for the offer though.

big mac
See Profile
Level: MEMBER
8/12/10 6:35 AM CST
BuckBuster

Is unit 7 in the area of Newcastle? If so, I hunted with an outfitter near the airport and saw a whole lot of goats! I think the Thunder Basin Grassland borders the lease we hunted on. A do it yourself goat hunt is what I want to do next. We had fun with our hunt and out of 9 guys in camp, we all tagged out by 2:00pm on the first day. Your plan to get out there before the season starts is a good idea. I have a phone number for the Newcastle area that lists landowners that allow some hunting. You can PM me for the number if you would like it.

Good luck and have fun, Big Mac

BuckBuster54217
BuckBuster54217
8/11/10 8:05 PM CST
I will be antelope hunting in unit 7 this year and was looking for any info or tips for this area if anyone has anything to offer. I will be going by myself which will make things somewhat more difficult but I'm always up for a challenge. I plan on getting out there a day or two early in order to scout and am not looking for anything huge, would be happy with a 12-13 inch goat. Any information is much appreciated. Thanks. Buck.

DOJER
DOJER
7/22/10 2:51 AM CST
FYI Wyoming has leftover licenses for sale on their website! The meat is great, and they are available on public land. Most ranchers will let you shoot as many does as you want.

outdoor20
outdoor20
7/14/10 7:25 PM CST
they are taking aps for south dakota goats right now..... I got mine in, now it is just a waiting game.

DLAMA2
See Profile
6/30/10 10:20 AM CST
Done a few DIY goat hunts out there.....all were fun and it is not as easy as some make it out to be to get a good size goat.

tuc27
tuc27
6/29/10 6:11 PM CST
Draw results were released this morning and as I assumed my Dad and I were both successful for Antelopes. My Dad also drew a Muley Tag. Cool The season starts Oct 15 in our unit, so hopefully we will be bringing a little meat home from our trip! This trip was a X-mas present for my Dad (of course I get to hunt too!)

Boomer1
Boomer1
6/25/10 10:07 AM CST
I've never spent the money on lopers but I have friends that love to hunt them before they start hunting muleys. Releaves their trigger finger a bit. Personally, I'd hunt around Gillette and head south.

Thing to remember, you have to get the hide off ASAP or the meat will suck. Plenty of BLM land, also contact the WY G&F for a list of friendly ranchers. Every year I talk to the area warden and get an update on how the deer are. You will be amazed on how nice and helpful they are. When we used to hunt public land, the warden sent up a map and circled where he saw the best bucks.

DLAMA2
See Profile
6/25/10 8:57 AM CST
Get a map that shows all the BLM and state land.

http://www.mytopo.com/

I never go out west with out them.

tuc27
tuc27
6/24/10 8:10 PM CST
Is anyone getting excited yet to see if they draw a tag this season? If so what unit are you going for? I applied for unit 21 with my Dad and some friends. It will be our first time going out there. Does anyone have any tips/advice for this unit? or Just tips for going out there?

SB Dad
See Profile
11/29/09 8:45 PM CST
Buckbuster,it depends on what area you are trying to draw in.Some are harder to draw in.We hunt in area 29 in Wy and draw tags every year.Area 27 is another story.Good luck.It is a fun hunt.They are fun to stalk and are not stupid as some on this board seem to think.I hunt them with traditional muzzleloaders which is quite challenging,but even with centerfire rifles it isn't the slam dunk some would believe.We used to hunt both mule deer and antelope,but have been only hunting the goats the last few years be cause it's more fun and we think they taste better.JMHO.

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 31
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook