MORE
General Hunting Discussion

Turtle season july 15

5/18/15 @ 8:16 AM
INITIAL POST
eyeslayer007
eyeslayer007
User since 1/27/14
Does anyone do any turtle catching? I'm looking to start in central Wisconsin and I'm wondering how to catch them.
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
5/25/15 @ 4:41 PM
gooseslayer
gooseslayer
User since 2/1/10
I use bank poles along with rod and reel while I'm catfishing.
5/22/15 @ 8:30 AM
RainbowRunner
RainbowRunner
User since 5/31/02
One bait I know for sure works great for turtles is frozen smelt. I learned this the hard way using frozen smelt for catfish bait. I caught a ton of large catfish on the smelt but I also caught a large number of snapping turtles and soft-shelled turtles. Since I personally have no interest in catching turtles (I rather LIKE turtles) I stopped using smelt for bait and went back to chicken liver. I caught very, very few turtles on chicken liver. Buddy of mine lost two rods in one night using smelt for bait on the Lower Wisconsin River. A turtle can push off on the bottom and just YANK your rod right out of the rod holder and into the river. I went over to visit with my buddy that night (he was fishing about 100 yards downstream from me and while we were talking his rod just FLEW out of the rod holder and into the river. Smelt. Smelt works great for turtles.
5/22/15 @ 8:04 AM
eyeslayer007
eyeslayer007
User since 1/27/14
Wisconsin’s Amphibian and Reptile Regulations TURTLES: may be taken by hand, dip net, hook and line, set line, set or bank poles, hooking, or hoop net trap. No other trap types are allowed.
5/21/15 @ 12:58 PM
pike eyes
User since 12/28/10
In the state of Wi. you must trap them to do it legally. there are a lot of ways of catching them if you go around the law. Just remember it is also illegal to pick them up along side the road. Cool
5/21/15 @ 8:07 AM
eyeslayer007
eyeslayer007
User since 1/27/14
Cut bait was what i was mainly planning on using. But another question is do you put it on? Poles like they do on the show swamp people except with bait in the water?
5/19/15 @ 11:46 AM
gooseslayer
gooseslayer
User since 2/1/10
Fresh cut bait in the shallows!
5/18/15 @ 5:42 PM
redhook
User since 12/25/09
jannsnetcraft.com sells books that will get you started. I just checked their web page and turtle traps are on sale now.
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE