SEARCH
MORE
General Hunting Discussion

Buying Land In Or Near CWD Area

12/2/14 @ 1:27 PM
INITIAL POST
Swamp buck
User since 1/23/09
I'm thinking about buying some land about 30 miles away from a positive CWD test. I'm curious as to what has happened with land values within those areas and if people are having a hard time selling their land. Also, what do hunters think about the deer they harvest? Do they test them all? Do they eat them without a test? Has the quality of big bucks decreased because of the older bucks dying off?
Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts
12/6/14 @ 5:03 PM
Wieland Outdoors
Wieland Outdoors
User since 3/27/10
I own land in Richland county. Values dipped, but not because of the CWD. The banking/loan crash that was orchestrated by Obama (then with ACORN) and Clinton did all the damage on that. Thankfully, the market has been rebounding and values seem to be more steady. Hunting pressure and the mass slaughter of so dang many deer has kept the average age (in the vacinty of my farm) very young. 3-1/2 year old bucks now look huge and we only see a couple of 4 to 5 year old bucks per year. I've had the older deer tested that I have taken and all the tests have been negative. Its more common to see older that hat have contracted it Vs younger deer. The few doctors that I have consulted with all said to eat the meat. There is 1 POSSIBLE case that couldn't be disproved of a human contracting the prion disease from eating deer. Keep in mind that so many other natural diseases are common for whitetail and they haven't gotten the publicity like CWD. I've shot 2 of the deer that tested positive for Cranial wasting. Only thought to have them tested because they shed their antlers before gun deer season.
12/2/14 @ 7:04 PM
journeymission
journeymission
User since 2/27/10
Hard to believe land values have been affected at all. Bucks are just as big as ever, though there are fewer deer than 10 years ago due to unlimited tags. We test any deer that's not a fawn and usually have results in a month.
12/2/14 @ 2:20 PM
Swamp buck
User since 1/23/09
Thanks B Fish. I'll turn it on
12/2/14 @ 1:46 PM
B Fish
User since 6/26/10
Swamp buck, turn your messenger on and I will send you a PM
Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE