MORE
General Hunting Discussion

Where/How To Store Taxidermy

8/24/14 @ 4:00 PM
INITIAL POST
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
I had a finished basement in my last house where I used to keep my mounts. We recently moved and I don't have a good place to display them in the new house. I took them up to the cabin and plan to eventually hang them up there but I can't do that right now as my folks live there in summer and my mom is a bit freaked out by the heads of animals hanging on the walls staring at her (LOL). I have them wrapped in a double heavy duty garbage bag and safely placed on a shelf in the pole shed. We don't have a mouse problem in the shed but I know that one or two have made it in through open doors in winter a few times since it was built. I'm concerned about mice chewing on the antlers. My only other option is to put them in the rafters above the garage but it gets plenty warm up there in summer. I'd like to just hang them on the wall but that's not an option for a few years. What is the best way to store my mounts until I can do so? Thanks as always.
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
9/9/14 @ 9:18 AM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01
I am assuming you have central air in your house. Why not just hang them in your basement, unfinished or not? I have 4 nice bucks down in mine that got bumped from the living room by bigger ones over the years. They are hanging in my workshop area but I know they are safe there. If you don't have a basement, sorry for your loss..... Mrt.
9/9/14 @ 8:31 AM
SFC S
User since 1/24/06
Plastic bags are bad, hold moisture in. Also make sure the mounts arent resting on the hair, you'll have spots of fur that are permanently bent, making big scruffy looking spots. I'd try hard to find someplace to have them hung on a wall.
8/28/14 @ 6:27 PM
Old Salt
Old Salt
User since 8/14/02
Maybe this is uncommon, but I have a half dozen or so sets of antlers with the fur covered skull cap attached hanging up on the studs of my pole barn, which I unhappily admit is totally unprotected from mice, and none of the antlers have been touched. The fur, however, has been totally robbed by those varmints for their nests.
8/28/14 @ 8:05 AM
383bowhunter
User since 10/4/11
Put them in your living room that's were they belong!!!
8/25/14 @ 10:45 AM
fishfinder101
fishfinder101
User since 1/1/10
rather than putting them in a place your worried about them, I would look to see if a friend or family memeber wouldnt mind hanging them up on one of there walls. Maybe even a local sportsman or bait shop might like to display them.
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE