Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

Motor Trolling Law

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

smbrickner
smbrickner
Level: MEMBER
6/13/11 10:59 AM CST
More of a rant than anything.

Can someone tell me the logic behind the no motor trolling rule on most lakes? It just seems stupid to me. Its hard to beat trolling a crawler harness or other live bait rig when there isn't a breeze and you can't do it on alot of lakes.

I would rather they lowered the alotted lines to 2 per person and allowed trolling on all lakes.

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 17
Steve @ G & S
See Profile
6/17/11 8:29 AM CST
smbrickner,

The way I understand the laws, you can still do what you want, one rod in your hand with a jig and minnow on the end and be on the trolling motor. You just better make sure that the line is vertical in the water....

Formerly Steve @ G & S

smbrickner
smbrickner
6/17/11 8:10 AM CST
The problem is the law is too all encompassing. I wasn't saying I want to put 6 boards out and troll around. But if I could have a rod in my hand with a jig and minnow and move the boat with the trolling motor and fish I would be happy.

Godi Jr.
See Profile
Level: General User
6/16/11 11:44 AM CST
Esoxcpr

What lakes are A class musky waters not rivers or flowages in The Creded territory that allow trolling?

i'll take part of that back the counties around washburn co. in the north west corner of state allow trolling county wide there may be 1 doz class A water in those 5-6 counties

[This post was last edited on 6/16/11 at 12:02 PM]
HodakaD
See Profile
6/16/11 7:35 AM CST
"there's plenty of lakes that allow trolling...South of Hwy 64.... nice to have some without"

FIFY

nihsif
See Profile
6/15/11 9:47 PM CST
there's plenty of lakes that allow trolling... nice to have some without

esoxcpr
See Profile
6/15/11 8:27 PM CST
There are plenty of class A-1 and A-2 musky lakes that allow trolling.

ifishwi
See Profile
6/14/11 1:50 PM CST
The way I always understood it is motor trolling was just too effective on muskys. Then they all started back trolling, and poof that became illegal as well. Row trolling is still allowed, so if you still want to troll, you need to move the boat via oars.

Godi Jr.
See Profile
6/14/11 9:52 AM CST
I'm not 100% shure but from what I under Stand it has to do. with the DNR giving a body of water there Musky clasifacation there are A, A1 ,A2 B & C musKy waters there is no motor trolling in A- A2 waters Trolling these waters during summer is like shoting fish outof a barrel

vegas492
See Profile
6/14/11 8:49 AM CST
Boards take up a lot of room on the water. If you get six boats running 3 boards on each side on smaller lakes (under 500 acres), then the lake is pretty much locked up. Add a few ski/pleasure boats in there and now you have issues.

If one wants to fix the problem, you guys nailed it. If you want to troll, you get one rod each. Now you don't need boards, or if you do run one, you aren't taking up much room.

But I've heard from some old timers up north that trolling was made illegal because it was just too each to catch big fish and it put a strain on the lakes. I'm guessing that this wasn't a good thing because those lakes up north are already pretty strained from the spearing that takes place.

But I digress. When backtrolling was allowed, it was so walleye fishermen could position their boat in the wind without anchoring. It was meant for boat control, not bait presentation/movement. Muskie guys figured out quickly how to backtroll their baits with great results and boom, no more backtrolling.

Lv'm & Lv'm
Lv'm & Lv'm
6/14/11 8:40 AM CST
People are dying form boredom. Smile

Frozenman
See Profile
6/14/11 4:54 AM CST
I rarely fish Wi. because of this arcane law.

fishmunkee
See Profile
6/13/11 1:39 PM CST
The no trolling rules were in place long before boards became popular. Probably originally put in since trolling is just an very effective way to put fish in the boat.

smbrickner
smbrickner
6/13/11 12:41 PM CST
I don't even need to run boards. Even if I could just hold a rod in my hand I would be happy.

HodakaD
See Profile
6/13/11 11:44 AM CST
There is no reason for it to be illegal. And I have never been given a logical reason it should be illegal by anyone who thought it should be. Some people don't like it "just because" is what it boils down to.

iceman8
iceman8
6/13/11 11:37 AM CST
I am betting that it is because of the size of some of the lakes and how far out away from the boat some people need their trolling boards to be. I can think of a couple of lakes up north that have walleye but aren't really that great in size.

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 17
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick Baitmate

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook