Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

Indian Trails Resort Hayward

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

weed puller
See Profile
Level: General User
6/10/11 7:47 PM CST
We are heading up there Thursday has anyone stayed there ? How was the fishing ? and the resort. We spent a lot of time on the water. Wondering If anyone want to share a spot or two for smallies I have always had a hard time finding these guys Sweating . Just looking forward to a few days off work in a beautiful area. And a few cold ones Big Smile Thanks if anyone can help. Weedpuller

ditto
ditto
7/4/11 11:25 PM CST
I could understand the dock and water level thing if I'd have talked to them months ahead of my arrival but I talked to them just a couple days before I got there.

I can understand that people can like it though. I stay at a place much like it for deer hunting, run down and not exactly "modern" but after 25 years it's like home every November.

danceswithwalleyes
See Profile
7/4/11 5:10 PM CST
I've been to around 15 resorts on the flowage since 1985. Some of those resorts are no longer in operation. If you think the bunk house was filthy good thing you never visited some of the older, run down resorts that were still in operation in the mid 80's. Lucky you never booked a trip to the old bunkhouse that used to be at Herman's Landing. I agree with you that the boat launch at Indian Trail is a real pain. I've also been there when the water level is real low and you can't get your boat all the way to their docks. They can't control the water level but I've encountered this problem at other resorts on the flowage also. I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but Indian Trail Resort will continue to get my patronage as I can't think of a better bang for your $ on the flowage if your a serious fisherman and looking for a good and inexpensive place to stay literally 30' from the water. Wink

ditto
ditto
7/4/11 2:04 PM CST
dance, I expected to find what I was told ot would be on the phone when I called them. I expected to have a clean room, I guess "clean" is subjective but to me the room was pretty much filthy. I expected to have a clean "sitting room", there is no subjectivity here - the room was filthy! I expected, and even paid more IIRC, for a dock to put my boat on. WHat I got was a dock that went out to 12" of water where they expected me to pull my boat into the sand and stones which wasn't going to happen! I expected a decent boat launch and that I didn't get either. I also ecpected a comfortable bed, not a 50 (at least) year old bed that I could feel the frame through.

All these things I expected were told to me on the phone and that's why I expected them.

Yes $38 a night is pretty cheap but for the two of us that's $76 per night and when you look at it that way it's cheap but not dirt cheap. There are plenty of hotels that you can get for $76 per night double occupancy. If I go back I will stay at a hotel and launch my boat everyday at a GOOD boat launch, not be expected to pull my boat in sand and stones, and be staying in a clean comfortable room.

danceswithwalleyes
See Profile
7/4/11 12:44 PM CST
Hey ditto, what did you expect the Taj Mahal? Fisherman rent the rooms at the bunkhouse to sleep in while they are not fishing. Most of these fisherman are on the water for the majority of the day and are not to concernened about what the sitting area looks like. What does one expect for $38, a clean room, with clean linens, a clean shower, and a clean bathroom. This is what I have experienced in each of my trips to the bunkhouse over the last 20 years. Indian Trail offers an inexpensive place for anglers to stay. If you are looking for a 5* resort go pay $1500-$2000 a week and stay at Treelands.

bassindude9
bassindude9
6/21/11 11:06 PM CST
I've stayed there 3 times in the past 10 years and have always had a quality experience. The bunkhouse is a great deal considering you have a dock, a place to sleep, and access to a quick bite to eat and the knowledge of one of the Chips most famous guides, all for under 30 bucks a nite if memory serves. The fishing was great the first two times and so-so the last time but it was due to extremely hot water.

You will be within many of the most famous bars and reefs on the Chip and in my experience John is always willing to help a fellow Musky fisherman out.

If your looking for a family getaway...skip the bunkhouse and get a cabin...if your looking for a quality fishing getaway...don't expect a 5 star hotel and you'll have a good time.

weed puller
See Profile
6/20/11 9:34 PM CST
We just came back and enjoyed our stay very much, no its not fancy but it was clean and fun and full of good fishermen and really nice people willing to share tips and areas to fish. The fishing was good for the people that worked at it just ask the guy who rang the bell 3 or 4 times in 2 days Big Smile . We cant wait to go back in Aug.

Ifishskis
Ifishskis
6/11/11 11:22 PM CST
Its been about 4 or 5 years since I stayed there but it was enjoyable and clean to me, and John was a nice guy, but if its changed since then I wouldn't know. At least the bar is a good place to hang out and play the 10 cent bowling machine. If not Indian Trail, Big Musky is a good place also because of the motel that is really close to the lake.

ditto
ditto
6/10/11 9:52 PM CST
Biy my experaince is as far from that as can be imagined. THe bunk house could more accuratly be described as a s&*t house! It was dirty and the beds were both old and uncomfortable and the linens were not clean. When I called and asked them about it thye said the bink house had a really nice sitting area, I don't call a cracked concrete floor and some old vinal couches very nice.

We payed for 3 nights and left after the first night because it was such a dump. I didn't even ask for my money back because I was afraid of what I would do to him if he lied to me one more time.

He also said that I would have a private dock for my boat. The private dick was little more than a 2x12 that only went out to 1' of water. He expected me to pull my fiberglass boat up in the sand and stones which wasn't going to happen. I had to anchor my boat and wade back into shore everytime I got out of it.

Ifishskis
Ifishskis
6/10/11 8:07 PM CST
Indian Trail is the best fishing resort on the Chip IMO. The bunkhouses are a great and cheap option for staying, they are clean too, John Detloff is a really great guy, its on a good part of the Flowage for fishing, the whole resort has a nice feel to it and the bar is lots of fun and has good pizza. Go there, you won't be dissapointed.

Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook