Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

Stevens Point Shore Fishing

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

Jake Andrle
Jake Andrle
Level: General User
8/29/10 3:58 PM CST
just moved down here for college...just wondering if anyone would be ale to give me any decent locations to go to from shore. I will fish for just about anything, but I am mainly a smallmouth and walleye person. If anyone has any information, please let me know. I don;t have a vehicle here ow but will be getting one by october!! Any info would be awesome

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 17
FISH55555
See Profile
9/1/10 7:06 PM CST
Jake, thought I sent you a pm. I posted on here by mistake and WOW thanks for all the messages guys, sorry..... uh..... no I'm not. I'll respond to you all at once.

Of all the complainers, none have ever posted a report, just looking for where others are catching fish. Helping others catch fish is what this site is for. The spots I told him are public areas and get fished ALOT and they still produce. Most people don't eat the fish so they all get thrown back. Some can't catch fish from clean waters, so they do eat them. I have NEVER eaten a fish from the WI river. If I ever do, it will be a bluegill or perch. I've lived here for 38 years and NOBODY EVER ate fish from the river until a few years ago. 30 years ago, raw untreated sewage from all the cities was dumped directly into the WI river. Not to mention the mercury, pcbs and all the other chemicals that the paper mills dumped in there. I know lots of people that worked in the mills and you would not believe the things I've heard. There were no such thing as a dumpster, it all went in the river. I'll leave it at that, would'nt surprise me if this gets pulled. Some people just can't handle the truth. Lips Sealed

walleyeguy007
See Profile
9/1/10 4:45 PM CST
pssstttt: here is the secret stretch of river in the Stevens Point area... wait for it...

ALL OF THE RIVER FROM THE DUBAY DAM ALL THE WAY TO THE BIRON DAM!!! literally, I have fished THIS WHOLE stretch and have yet to come off the water without at least a couple fish boated. No matter what I am fishing for or where I fish. Any of the public access spots you find have fish. Some spots are prone to different species but you can catch whatever you want from shore that this river has to offer. Bluegills to ski's to catfish to carp. If you go along west river drive and hit the spots there you can catch just about anything. Look at the location and you will know what kind of fish is holding there. Those are my go-to shore spots when I really want to catch something. Below the bridge right by the dam in Point can get you good smallie action all summer with walleyes not uncommon. During the spring you can usually tie into some decent crappies too. Hope this helps.

I'm a local as well as anyone. I have been fishing here my whole life. At least 20 years. I will give up information to almost ANYONE. Information doesn't catch fish. The fisherman still needs to learn about an area before he can catch fish. Even if I tell him/her to fish the west point on the downriver side of the longest island in the stretch of river in 10 fow with 1/8th ounce green jigs tipped with large fatheads. He or she isn't guaranteed fish without learning how to present the bait. How many times have you fished next to someone in a boat using the same exact everything and you are catching fish and they aren't? Same with ice fishing. Two holes 2 feet apart and one produces gills all day and the other is dead all day.

How many times have those of you that complain about people like me give out information, have asked a fellow angler at a launch "how was the fishing?", "did ya get anything?" ? Don't tell me you are asking and don't want to know what, where, and how?

Jake Andrle
Jake Andrle
9/1/10 12:17 PM CST
Thanks for all the information guys!!! And Ulbian, I really, really hope I meet you some day out there. If anyone ever would have a question about a body of water, I would answer it and then some. I worked at Fleet farm in Hudson, WI in sporting goods, and guys would ask me about the croix, 'sippi, or any other body of water in the area, I would tell them how to fish, what the hottest baits were, and how to fish them. And you know what? Not once did I see one person that I had helped, and I fished damn near every day!!!!!!! Now, I'm only 18, and the way you are talking you make yourself sound like the unwelcoming person. Put it this way...anytime you want to come fish the west side of the state, give me a call...not everyone in this world is an idiot.

Thanks guys!!! The info will help a lot!! And, anytime you want to come fish western WI for trout, walleyes, smallies, largemouth, or anything, let me know Cool -Jake Andrle

Ulbian
See Profile
9/1/10 7:59 AM CST
Coulee,

I spent about 14 years of my life on the UWSP campus. Any time threads like this one popped up when I lived there that were generated by a college student my inbox on this site and other fishing sites would get hammered by locals who knew I was working for the university and begged me to make contact with the student. Why? To pull him/her aside and educate them about how provincial and overprotective the locals can be about the fishing areas around the area. If you are unfamiliar with Point then you don't know how awesome it can be but on the same token how royally irritated people can get when certain stretches of the river get exploited.

I've seen it happen time and time again. A kid comes to college and fishes around there and can get along well with members of the community. The moment that student starts bringing truckloads of people around they are held in contempt. I speak from experience on this, not paranoia. It's a shame when new students don't feel wanted or accepted as a result of unknowingly disrespecting the townies when it can easily be avoided. Use your head, you don't need to bring half your residence hall with you showing them "new" spots, and pick up after yourself. The fishing spots are there and they are easy to find.

Coulee_region_adventures
See Profile
9/1/10 7:14 AM CST
Ulbian- you are a small minority here. The whole purpose of this site is to swap fishing tricks, locations, and stories. I have to yet give a location of a pond, river, or stream and have flocks of people come to that location because they see it on Lake Link.

There are other blog sites that do the same, you guys are paranoid!

walleyeguy007
See Profile
8/31/10 9:46 PM CST
Sent you a PM. Read and get back to me. Later. Walleyeguy007

FISH55555
See Profile
8/31/10 9:34 PM CST
Jake, welcome to the area, plenty of smallies and walleyes to be caught in the river. The bait shop on Maria Dr. gives great deals on minnows. Buy a dozen minnows (he will give you at least 3 dozen) and go down to Bukolt park, throw out your minnow on a small hook and sinker, 2-4' below a bobber. Should pretty much be a done deal. Try different depths and you will catch different kinds of fish. Bass, walleye, and crappie for sure. There are two ponds in the middle of the park and the river goes through there. They are not very deep but they hold some fish, mostly gills. I would start where the river goes into the first pond, on the river side. Fish by the park benches and in between and work downstream. I always catch fish here. Just a starting point for you, the whole shoreline is good fishing and open to the public all the way into town, to the south. Don't be afraid to explore and try different baits. Lots of snags, don't throw any baits you can't afford to lose. Lake Jonis is on right on campus and has some nice fish in it. Try topwater baits early in the morning for some huge largemouth. I've fished it out of the kayak and caught nice crappie and big bass. Saw a few bass 20+".

Fishyall
Fishyall
8/31/10 3:40 PM CST
Start at Bukholt park grab some minnows and start walking the shore. Follow the bike path both North and South. Bike path runs along the river south along ways. Then always look at the other side or in the middle and let your imagination run wild. I can't really remember how to get to my spots, but that's how I found all of my fish when I was going to school in Point, plus I still live here and still use them. It's not any fun if we all tell you where to go. Use your imagination and you'll do just fine. Give a man a fish he'll eat today, teach a man how, to in your case find fish and he'll eat fish forever, you get the point.

RiverGuy
See Profile
8/31/10 2:49 PM CST
And if you don't get any bites put that jig and twister on a safety pin spinner (the Beetle Spin type) and you will catch something. Anything will hit those things especially smallies.

cabmaker
cabmaker
8/31/10 2:23 PM CST
Isn't there a river near St. Point ?? Try there ! Big Smile

Ulbian
See Profile
8/29/10 11:21 PM CST
Here we go again. Like the swallows returning to San Capistrano another round of questions about fishing sites in the Point area.

No need to go asking on a website. Just get some area maps and go and fish places that look decent. There are plenty of them.

Be respectful of the area. Many have walked in your shoes before and many will after you. There's no need to advertise anything out in the open because there are plenty of people who will help you out. Just don't disrespect what you have in your backyard. There's a reason why you can still find places to fish around there that don't see much pressure at all. Of course you have the very, very well known community spots but all in all enjoy it. Put in a little work yourself and you will be rewarded handsomely. Support the local businesses, get away from the chain type restaurants and stores. Get to know that area. You'll love it. Those who don't are the folks that won't put in the extra effort to appreciate their surroundings.

BugleTrout
BugleTrout
Level: MEMBER
8/29/10 5:30 PM CST
Sent you a PM.

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 17
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick Baitmate

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook