Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

4.5 lb. Crappie Caught

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

bdhunter
See Profile
Level: General User
5/16/10 12:18 PM CST
http://www.garyengbergoutdoors.com/blog/2010/05/11/huge-4-12-pound-crappie-caught-in-wisconsin-5-11-2010/

I was told about this yesterday so I did some searching and found this. None of it really adds up, as the story says he lives in Menomonie but works in East St. Louis? Also, Menomin and Tainter lakes have a panfish limit of 10, not 25. And it says he weighed it at the Millstadt post office, to my knowledge and searching online, there is no Millstadt, WI. What do you guys think?

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 20
Flytrap
See Profile
5/24/10 10:57 PM CST
First off, Nobody works in East Saint Louis! The urban blight depicted in the Robocop movies is the lap of luxury compared to ESL. Think of the pictures of Dresden or Hiroshima during WWII in the history books and that'd be close. God forbid you should ever have to drive through there at night, especially if of the Caucasian persuasion. Lips Sealed

gdherritz
See Profile
5/24/10 10:45 PM CST
Lake Kincaid (sp?) In Ill. Big fish but didn't make the record.

windstopper
See Profile
Level: MEMBER
5/22/10 9:56 AM CST
Grass green in northern wisconsin in mid march nope. Also the lack of a town called milstadt in wisconsin adds to my skeptisism but who am i JMO. Makes much more sense if it was caught in southern ILL now i give him a maybe. My question to the person that started the rumor of a lake in northern wisconsin why.

[This post was last edited on 5/22/10 at 10:01 AM]
'da Coach
See Profile
5/21/10 8:30 AM CST
...a few special ones that are still in the package, that I may break out in emergencies...

"Hey, I have a crappie fishing emergency! Break out the Billy Baroo baits!"

Sorry, Paully, but the idea of a fishing "emergency" just made me laugh! Big Smile

TED PECK
TED PECK
5/21/10 7:16 AM CST
Crappies are like hawks--deceptively light for their size. They can be tall and long, but even the fattest ones have girth like a Frisbee. Three pound crappies are huge, almost weird looking fish. They are common down south, especially in the four large Corps Reservoirs along the I-55 corridor in Mississippi: Grenada, Sardis, Enid and Arktabula. Fished all four of them and caught a pile of fish which were an honest 2 1/2-3 lb. Was fishing the tailwaters of Grenada a few years ago, biggest was 18 1/2" and weighed 2 lb. 15 oz., talked to the warden who said a 4 lb. 6 was caught in essentially the same spot I was standing a couple of days before. This was in February and the grass was GREEN...but then again THE GRASS IS ALWAYS GREEN DOWN IN MISSISSIPPI!! Wondering

PabloFC
See Profile
5/21/10 1:48 AM CST
every body of water with a boat landing in menomonie was still froze march 15. It's just bs from the lure they mention.

bassman09
See Profile
5/18/10 1:39 PM CST
I dont doubt the fish at all. That crappie could of come from a private pond but who knows. I dont think it came from WI though. Where at in WI is grass that green in mid March? And mid March, wasnt there still ice on the water in Wisconsin? There are so many conflicting stories who knows what to believe.

Heres something I was wondering and this goes for all fish. If the fish comes from a private pond can it still be qualified as a state or national record? Or does it have to be out of a public water way?

bdhunter
See Profile
5/17/10 11:15 PM CST
8-10 years ago, you could get into a few 14-16" crappies on Beaver Dam Lake. Haven't seen any that size in awhile, but they may still be a few that size in there.

Ski2313
See Profile
5/17/10 8:45 PM CST
WI state record BLACK crappie was 4# 8oz, caught in the Gile flowage.. many years ago though. That is one fat crappie!

Steve @ G & S
See Profile
Level: MEMBER
5/17/10 7:49 PM CST
Yeah, they can get that big. Here in Tennessee, the state record for black crappie is 4 lbs, 4 oz and the white crappie weighed in at 5 lbs, 1 oz.

Just because few if ever catch a crappie over 2 lbs, that doesn't mean it can't happen. Here on Kentucky Lake, two pounders don't ever raise an eyebrow...

Formerly Steve @ G & S

bassman09
See Profile
5/17/10 7:02 AM CST
Yeah this is a bunch of crap. I dont think the fish exists or its a fake. They cant make up there mind about where the fish was caught or where the guy is from

http://www.prairiestateoutdoors.com/index.php?/pso/article/monster_crappie_out_of_kinkaid_lake/

Conflicting stories.

5bluegills
See Profile
5/16/10 7:31 PM CST
at a jamborie a guy registered a huge crappie. after searching and questioning found out it was caught on a private pond just a thought. he was disqualified just shows you can do anything if thats your thing. Angry

MRGLAX
MRGLAX
5/16/10 7:24 PM CST
You guys should check out this new fangled thing called google.

30 seconds of searching comes back with the fish being caught Mar. 15 on Kinkaid Lake, IL with the angler hailing from Waterloo, IL.

http://www.thesouthern.com/sports/article_6b01fc50-3e0e-11df-8835-001cc4c03286.html

[This post was last edited on 5/16/10 at 7:27 PM]
lilcrooked
lilcrooked
5/16/10 12:55 PM CST
The story says he's from Menomonie. It doesn't say he lives there currently. Millstadt, IL is fairly close to East St. Louis. Maybe he lives there and had it weighed at his local post office when he returned home. Just offering some possible explanation. Either way I am envious of the catch.

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 20
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick HT Plano

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook