Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

Big Dave guide on Wisconsin River

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

cjs190d
cjs190d
Level: MEMBER
1/30/09 12:09 PM CST
Folks,

Thinking about going out with Dave Ehardt on the WI river this spring. Anyone gone out fishing with him? What can you share about the experience?

PM is on if you would rather keep it private.

Thanks,

Chris

Rempump870
See Profile
Level: General User
2/2/09 12:55 PM CST
Fished near him many times up at the dells and talked with him a few times on the water. He knows the dells well and seems to always catch at least a few fish. For the area he is one of the better ones there.

TED PECK
TED PECK
2/2/09 5:28 AM CST
Although I haven't fished with Big Dave for maybe a dozen years, know that he is a good guide, good angler and profoundly familiar with the water he works. If you want to fish the lower Wisconsin, I highly recommend him

WORKBLOWS
WORKBLOWS
1/31/09 1:39 PM CST
I've also hired him twice. He's laid back, a great conversationalist and definitely will put you on fish. Both times we did a multi species day in less than ideal conditions, but caught a ton of fish. Started with smallies, then crappies for the frying pan, and finished up with walleye/sauger. As previously posted, he's not afraid to show you his hot spots and tips/techniques. He doesn't drink, but he had no problem with us bringing a sixer of Leinies...if that matters. At the end of the day he'll fillet all the fish and put them in ziplocs for you. Split between 2 guys for 1/2 day I thought it was well worth the money.

ifishwis
ifishwis
1/31/09 4:43 AM CST
I've been out with him twice and highly recommend him. He is friendly, knowledgeable and works his tail off for you. He also teaches you and shares his "secrets" so you can fish the river later without a guide. Hire him--you will be glad you did.

cycleguy
See Profile
1/30/09 5:04 PM CST
I've talked to Dave a couple times at the landings and stuff. As said, if it is just around the Dells area, pretty easy to duplicate... usually. It always seems like he keeps people happy. If I hired him, it would be for more a trip down the river a ways... depending on the time of the year. Access something I couldn't with my boat, and get away from the crowds. He has done a show like that before. Only thing that would keep me from going with him... is his smoking. Simply can stand that, and it would be enough to bother me personally. Maybe he would keep it downwind if he knew... but.

Chuck

muskie nut
muskie nut
1/30/09 4:21 PM CST
If I ever hired a guide I'd just take enough beer and lunch for the both of us.

Are you allowed that much weight in the boat???? Might not be room for you or Big Dave! Big Smile Big Smile Big Smile Big Smile Big Smile Of course, I am just talking smart. I too would bring enough food for the both of us. I however would leave the booze on shore. Tounge Out Tounge Out And any top notch guide would never allow booze in his/her boat.

RiverGuy
See Profile
1/30/09 2:01 PM CST
If I ever hired a guide I'd just take enough beer and lunch for the both of us.

muskie nut
muskie nut
1/30/09 1:57 PM CST
I have never fished with him but would consider hiring him. But I would hide my lunch or I think I would risks it being missing by lunch time arrives. Big Smile Big Smile Big Smile Big Smile

BigMusky12
See Profile
1/30/09 1:18 PM CST
fairly public figure from time on Water and Woods and I have never heard a bad thing about him.

RiverGuy
See Profile
1/30/09 12:46 PM CST
Never fished with him but go for it, Dave's a great guy.

Walleye 1
See Profile
1/30/09 12:24 PM CST
I have never fished with Big D only in the same area as him. If you have your own boat it's not to hard to figure out the WI River if you are talking about the Dells.

I can tell you he get's nervous if you are out fishing him when he has clients.

Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick HT Plano

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook