Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

WI. state record northern pike

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

niklaus7
See Profile
Level: General User
2/10/06 9:46 AM CST
this topic started on the puckaway thread. i figured i'd move it here. i'll cut and paste the original question------------ Posted: 2/9/06 8:33 PM CST-------- SORRY... NO FISH REPORT. I know this is a "forum" issue but since things are so slow i thought i would bring up here. I have always been interested in the record northern caught by J.A. Rahn in 1952. In light of the recent brew-ha over the muskey record it has me again asking these questions: (come on old-timers i need your help!!) Is J.A. Rahn alive? family from the area? PICTURES of fish or mount around. I am not trying to discredit the fish just very interested in the story behind it. (bait, where caught etc) Any info would be great and i will move this to forum if anyone has an issue here. Thanks

[This post was last edited on 3/15/08 at 6:58 AM]
Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 52
Route66
See Profile
3/15/08 9:26 PM CST
In the Hayward area Big Round and Couderay have big Northern history. There were some 30 pounder's back in the 40's. Both are deep with good food supply. As for the Chip, it wouldn't even admit it had Northern's until about 15 years ago.

Route 66

guttersnake
See Profile
3/15/08 2:24 AM CST
I believe it will also come from the big lake have been catching tons of pike in the marinas.Saw a dead 1 probably close to 20lb pike floating in one of the marinas a few years back hear alot of stories about guys seeing them in the early spring when people are still looking for those smelt they aren't going to find. I am waiting for a big one myself. Know a couple of spots I'll be trying soon.

SCOTTAY
See Profile
Level: MEMBER
3/14/08 10:16 AM CST
I'd go with Green Bay also! I have had numerous trips where I have seen 45 inch fish follow baits. A huge number of fish in the forties are taken every year! I believe this record is swimming anywhere from Washington Island to the DePere dam. One of the guys trolling for muskies this spring could be the winner. It won't be long. Sure hope its me !! Scottay

renegade8379
renegade8379
3/14/08 8:16 AM CST
Good question Flytrap......... if esoxcpr is monitoring today.....he'll have the answer in a matter of minutes.

Flytrap
See Profile
3/14/08 8:05 AM CST
The dynamics of all lakes change. Back in the 60's the new southern impoundments were all the rage for trophy bass, seemed they peaked about 7 years after construction, lasted a few seasons and then started declining. No reason to think our lakes would be any different for northerns.

Just as a random thought, what was the last impoundment made in Wisconsin?

Which reminds me, I suspect any record will come from some random lake that nobody thinks much of, probably by someone not even fishing for pike.

[This post was last edited on 3/14/08 at 8:14 AM]
BigMusky12
See Profile
3/14/08 7:47 AM CST
You need deep water (lots of it) with a rich diet of fatty bait fish

you do not need deepwater....you need oxygen rich water with optimum temperature for growth. It is my understanding the dynamics of puckaway have changed greatly since the record was caught and it is commonly agreed upon a fish like that is not possible out of that lake now. Back in the day it supposedly was filled with lots of cold water springs and was therefore alot less weedy. So it had lots of bait and constant supply of fresh water pumping into it.

gonefish'n
gonefish'n
3/11/08 8:11 PM CST
Personally, I think the 38# record out of Puck is bogus!!! Think about it, we are talking about a 50"+ fish with a massive girth. Didn't happen out of Puck - no evidence and not a big/deep enough body of water to support such a beast!! You need deep water (lots of it) with a rich diet of fatty bait fish. Rarely do you see a fish pushing 30#s, however there are some in the upper 20# range caught in WI every year. 38# NO WAY! I hope this false record gets discredited as well. It would take a near 50" fish with a 30" girth to approach such a weight.... rarely do you see muskies that big in WI!

map-pike
See Profile
3/7/06 2:35 PM CST
Holy %*&^!!! 33 pounds. Would love to see some pics. It's not that I don't believe it...it's just that I would love to see some pics!! Wow.

werps
See Profile
3/6/06 8:52 PM CST
If and when the record is broken I bet it comes from Lake Michigan. I,ve got a 48" ,33lb'er on the wall from there and I bet they can get much larger. So much food, such prime habitat with deep, cool/cold water, and so little fishing pressure, so many miles of spawning shoreline. Pike heaven...

alvabass
alvabass
3/4/06 6:51 PM CST
If the record ever gets broken I bet it comes out of Puckaway.

FlyAllDay
See Profile
3/4/06 5:10 PM CST
I think Michigan is the best chance for the next record, too bad no one fishes for them. But like I think with Winnebago...I have been fishing bago for years pulling cranks, harnesses, jigs with minnows and never caught or saw or northern. With all the people that troll this lake you would think more would be caught. Kind of like Michigan...people pull cranks and spoons all the time and rarely catch a pike. One day it will happen...reading down a page to that Kenosha story of the big pike...I would have been running for the hills for my pole. That is the kind of fish you lose sleep on. FLY

map-pike
See Profile
3/4/06 2:20 PM CST
Big Green Lake or the all-time famous Lake Puckaway / Fox River. There are some pigs in there, but few and far between.

roadkill07
roadkill07
3/4/06 1:58 PM CST
in a state park by me last summer two were caught that were only two or three inches away from the length of the record and they were released so theyre still out there getting bigger.

Jig-N-Pig
See Profile
Level: MEMBER
3/4/06 7:51 AM CST
I'd guess if we ever see a new WI record Pike it will probably not come from lakes frequented by the guys so proudly displaying frozen pike, or dead pike at home on the this thread:

http://www.lake-link.com/boards/boards/viewposts.cfm?Thread_ID=31044&StartRow=61&SortOrder=DESC&RecordsToDisplay=15

fishy
fishy
2/28/06 9:12 AM CST
Nelson lake-sawyer County- fish over 20 pounds caught each year- three years ago- 26# 47" was caught, a 50 incher a few years ago found dead of old age!

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 52
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick HT Plano

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook