john has a great show...

Edited on 12/28/11 10:23 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 5,115 Posts
3/25/17 @ 8:56 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

John calling items by their brand name pays the bills.  It's what keeps him on the air doing what he loves.  Frabill, Recon, Johnsonvilles (btw, I ate some tonight!), Jerkos, etc., I love the show and would love to fish with him.  He seems genuinely in love with what I love to do.  Fish!  If his style offends you, Rachelle Ray is on the Food Network.

You go John!

Post Your Comment
3/25/17 @ 8:41 PM
LUV2HNT
LUV2HNT
USER since 11/3/03

In case nobody has noticed the show has had some changes, guessing from comments on here and other social media. John has been explaining techniques, bait setups, and boat positioning in more detail. He has really been trying not to get overly excited on big fish... I think it was the show with Dale where, Dale was calming him down before the fish even got to the hole... He is taking what is said and trying to make it better. Any show will push it's sponsors or there will be no show, common sense.

Post Your Comment
3/25/17 @ 7:29 PM
crobar
crobar
USER since 6/19/01

Lets go to Chicago to go fishing?????  Thats a new one. Amazed at the nice Lakers they boated, but if I would of heard  "Sorry I forgot the net in the truck".....one more time......

Post Your Comment
3/25/17 @ 10:45 AM
FishWhistleOutdoors
FishWhistleOutdoors
USER since 12/27/16

I love all the people that come on here to say negative things about a show that is on 52 weeks a year.  Until Larry, how many others accomplish that?

You're probably the same people that are nightmares to run into on the water or you're mad no matter how many fishing shows you watch you can't boat fish like they do. If you like Larry Smith better, go watch Larry.  

One thing is clear about John.  He is very good at promoting gear and he is very excited to go fishing.  He fits brand names into anywhere he can and im sure sponsors love that.  Why do you think he has had this show for so long?  Sponsors love the marketing and exposure they get from John and they will continue to keep his show on air because of it.

If I were in John's or Larry's shoes I would take all of the data from the show such how many people watch it on TV or YouTube and talk about it on forums such as these.  I would even include all the people who trash the show because it means they're still watching if they know what's going on.  I would show the data to sponsors every year and try and get as much gear to promote and the best deal I could.  This is a job.

I've interacted with Larry at boat launches on the wolf, I've talked to John at sports shows and I've gotten a few musky tips from Rob online that have paid off.  They all have one thing in common, they love fishing.  

I'll take advantage of anyone who wants to share what they do and how. It's alot more fun than getting my panties in a bunch and upset they are on the tv. 

Edited on 3/25/17 10:46 AM
Post Your Comment
3/23/17 @ 9:07 AM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01

Most of us have been watching him for years and feel like we know him. He is kind of like a crazy Uncle John that fishes all the time and does stuff to embarrass himself. He also encourages others to do embarrassing stuff like having fat guys dance to bad music. Mrt.

Post Your Comment
3/22/17 @ 12:39 PM
POPPER
POPPER
USER since 6/20/01

Yeah,.it is funny especially cause he's a pumpkin head anyway... Who cares?

Post Your Comment
3/22/17 @ 8:46 AM
Rob Manthei
Rob Manthei
USER since 5/26/10

LOL, it's funny how everyone knows John's business

Post Your Comment
3/21/17 @ 10:53 PM
ryguyangler
ryguyangler
USER since 3/9/10

John is with Recon because he trashed the lunds every year, hence why they dropped him. As did all his previous boat sponsors. Doesn't help that Larry's ratings are now higher than John's as well.

Post Your Comment
3/21/17 @ 12:29 PM
Musky99
Musky99
USER since 8/8/11

I think its great JG is going with Recon since its made in WI.

But do not forget, these sponsors pay JG money to use their products. 

Lund is owned by Brunswick (a huge company), maybe they do not sponsor fishing shows like they used to or maybe Recon was just willing to pay more.

My guess is most of the outdoor shows are like infomercials with a little outdoors mixed, its how they cover the costs to produce the shows.

Post Your Comment
3/21/17 @ 12:15 PM
IceManKimi
IceManKimi
USER since 7/20/07

I saw that video on his show Saturday. The owner is a guy I would buy from; no 3 piece suit, no BS. Just a guy next door leaning on one of his pride and joy. If I were in the market I would seriously look at Recon and compare.

As others have posted, it's no biggie. Clam recently came on board, too. Whoever pays the bills, I'm in.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 5,115 Posts