john has a great show...

Edited on 12/28/11 10:23 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 4,976 Posts
6/28/16 @ 9:45 PM
muskie nut
muskie nut
MEMBER since 6/26/01

I tried the mono only and it works fine, but when fishing eyes in deeper water, aggressively jigging I could feel them hit, but often missed them due to line stretch.  With braid you feel them and can hook them.

Post Your Comment
6/27/16 @ 8:52 AM
vegas492
vegas492
USER since 5/21/03

Personally?  I don't care for braid with flouro leader for walleyes.  Straight mono for me.  6 pound Berkley XT.  In green if you can get it.  Always done well with that.

I've tried the braid with mono thing and for light jigging, like I do up in Vilas, I've found that mono works better....for me.  Now, if I'm going somewhere where the walleyes are bigger and the techniques are not finesse?  Then I prefer the braid with flouro.

My advice would be to try both and see what you like best and see what the fish like best.

Post Your Comment
6/26/16 @ 8:46 PM
muskie nut
muskie nut
MEMBER since 6/26/01

"Watching the show it looks like John uses braided line with a flurocarbon leader" 

I don't know about JG, but I sure do.  Its the best as you have the clear leader line that the fish cant see as well and you can detect those light bites as the braid doesn't stretch. 

Post Your Comment
6/26/16 @ 10:34 AM
BKJK03
BKJK03
USER since 6/26/16

Hey all. I just started getting into this show this year and I want to try some walleye fishing. I've caught them here & there, but never intentionally went out for them specific. I am interested in getting a rod/reel setup for this, any suggestions? Watching the show it looks like John uses braided line with a flurocarbon leader, is that correct? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Post Your Comment
6/23/16 @ 7:44 PM
the eye slayer
the eye slayer
USER since 3/17/09

Just wondering if anyone knows what kind of Strike King sunglasses John wears

Thanks

Post Your Comment
6/18/16 @ 7:06 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

There sure are a lot of jealous people that visit this thread.  Shame on John for carving out a living doing something he loves!  Wish to be so lucky one day.

Post Your Comment
6/18/16 @ 3:30 PM
muskie nut
muskie nut
MEMBER since 6/26/01

His handle is "fishlovme" and they do if they eat his hand.

Edited on 6/18/16 3:32 PM
Post Your Comment
6/17/16 @ 11:14 AM
John.Rennpferd
John.Rennpferd
USER since 6/3/10

Says the guy with his whole hand in a fishes mouth as his avatar...

Post Your Comment
6/15/16 @ 9:22 AM
6/14/16 @ 4:27 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER since 6/22/01

I don't turn something off if it bugs me when I'm watching something because I usually like the show.  I love John's show most of the time.I love where John fishes. I love most of the guides he fishes with and have hired a couple of them to fish with and have learned a lot from them.  But as a "discussion" thread here I felt like expressing an opinion about John and others on the show holding up the fish to the camera for way too long while they sit there and talk about their guide service, what they're using, or whatever.  I see no reason to show a fish to the camera for that long.  Get the fish back in the water if you're releasing them.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 4,976 Posts