Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

NAVIONICS vs. LAKEMASTER(the real deal)

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

bobby the bass king
bobby the bass king
Level: General User
2/18/08 7:15 PM CST
I have looked at all the forums on which one is better, i have gone to lakemaster's website and navionics.com. i have went to scheels and asked to see the both of them work. they both have the lakes i want. An honest opinion would be greatfully apreaciated. In past forums people say navionics isnt accurate, and i read people saying lakemaster isnt accurate. Money, not as big of an issue. Lets get some cold hard facts!!

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 99
Woody46
Woody46
2/11/14 12:50 PM CST
Steve from LakeMaster I know this is an old post,but.... Always check a map product's lake list for your lake. No map company has every lake. Also, high definition maps will be considerably more detailed and accurate than standard definition maps. I offer a correction to an earlier post (June) by sslayer. When LakeMaster releases a new version of a previous map, new lakes will have been added (both HD and SD), but never are lakes eliminated. Good fishin'

trackerrat
See Profile
11/30/13 10:31 AM CST
All you need is a lifeproof case and a lifejacket and you can throw your phone in the water anytime you want and nothing will happen. You can even take pictures under water if you so desire.

http://www.lifeproof.com/shop/us_en/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_content=LifeProof%E2%84%A2_Cases&utm_campaign=Branded_Campaign_USA_|_General_Use-_computers/Desktop

[This post was last edited on 11/30/13 at 10:35 AM]
JamesD
See Profile
11/30/13 9:50 AM CST
SnakeSter paid $9.99 for the app but how much a month for GPS service on a smart phone. If I change from the phone I have to a smart phone with GPS the jump in cost is almost what I'd pay once for a Navionics or Lakemaster chip. Congrats to those who have megabucks phones already but having a waterproof sonar/gps seems less risky than a phone that can get bumped into the wet bilge of my boat. My son in law's phone brought us to humps on the walleye lake that I didn't know existed so now I really look foreward to a new chip for my Humminbird.

Harris17
Harris17
8/29/13 6:05 PM CST
Snake I bought the same app for Canada. It was $15. I was the same exact detail on my $150 chip. Both horrible. I know the USA detail is very different/better. Just want those going to Canada to do your research.

Florida, we stayed at eagle lake lodge. Had a great time but did not get my 50 inch bucket list musky.

SnakeSter
See Profile
Level: MEMBER
8/29/13 6:18 AM CST
Just to play Devils advocate: Last year I downloaded the 9.99 dollar app from navionics on my phone. This year when out on Lake Tomahawk, This device took me right to where I wanted to go. The lake has numerous humps and structure. Also gives you a good picture of where you have been. Worked fine, although the program takes some getting used to. It depends on what you want to do. If you want to just find something it's cheap and accurate.

Floridianman
Floridianman
8/28/13 8:21 PM CST
Hey Harris17

I am in the same boat with you. I was at Eagle Lake from August 3rd-9th stayed at north shore lodge. yes the navionics chip was a piece of garbage. BUT we could have recorded our tracks and uploaded to navionics then they would update the map. I wasnt happy with it but at least gave me a map to work with for navigation around the lake. I did manage to find some good spots marked them on the graph. One bait shop in Dryden had some lakemaster products but wasnt expecting them in a few weeks. what lodge did you stay at? the ruls for that lake also sucks seems like it's own by a bunch of democrats. no booze, one rod, no night fishing.

Floridianman
Floridianman
8/28/13 8:15 PM CST
I perfer lakemaster over navionics. I have both chips because some lake not on one but the other. Also I have the i-pilot link system so the lakemaster benefits me.

Harris17
Harris17
8/27/13 2:20 PM CST
I went to Canada this summer and purchased the Navionics chip for that area. What an incredible disappointment. The detail was in 20 foot increments - and this was for Eagle lake (a popular lake). When I called Navionics service, I waited for 15 minutes before someone actually answered the phone. She verified that the detail was only in 20 foot increments. When I explained to her that this lack of detail really doesn't help me and that there were actual islands missing from the chip, she was at a loss. No where did the chip or packing or website say anything about this poor detail (at least that I could find). If you are going to Canada, I am not sure what options you have. LakeMaster seems to have a detail mapping for Lake of the Woods and Rainy but that is it. I feel I wasted $150 bucks. Now trying to get my money back but that is whole other story.....

Billy
See Profile
7/3/13 10:17 AM CST
Personally I use both. Depends on the lake. My HDS8 came with Insight installed on it and most of the time that is equal to or better then either Navionics or Lake Master.

DaveyJ
DaveyJ
6/24/13 8:37 AM CST
Like with so many other things, I have found when it comes to mapping chips there is no be all, end all, perfect chip. Every time I think I found it, I notice something that it doesn't have that a different chip does have. So my collection grows.

cft-fish
cft-fish
6/22/13 9:55 AM CST
I purchased the Lake Master chip for Wisconsin but I did not do enough research before my purchase. I spent my time researching the GPS/depth finder, a Humminbird 5 series, which I am very happy with. The purchase of the Lake Master chip was kind of an afterthought and now I regret not putting in more time researching the chip. After all, if the GPS chip doesn’t have the lake you are on you’ll be looking at the outline of the lake with the lake being all blue (no contours). The only help the GPS will be to you then is to help find your way back to a fishing spot or back to the boat landing. For my use I am disappointed with the selection of lakes on the Lake Master chip. But the same lakes I am interested in may not be important to someone else. One example is the Rainbow Flowage in Oneida Co. The Lake Master chip does not have this flowage where the Navionics north does. There are many more examples if you compare and it also seems like the Navionics has more Wis maps as well as Michigan, Iowa, Minnesota, N. and S. Dakota where Lake Master chip Wisconsin is almost exclusively Wis. Minnesota and the Dakotas are each separate chip you would have to buy. But what I don’t know is what lakes are High Def. And if cost is important the Navionics is priced at ~$75 more than Lake Master. My suggestion to anyone looking to purchase one of these is to make a list of lakes you want on the chip, search the lake lists, and then consider whether high def is important. You may find lakes you are interested in are not on either chip, one chip has the lake and one doesn’t, each have it but one is High def and the other isn’t, or both have it in high def. As for which one is more accurate, reading the blogs it seems like each one can claim to be more accurate in one area or another. I’m not sure how to research this. Good luck to anyone preparing to purchase a chip. I hope you are more prepared then I was.

sslayer
sslayer
6/18/13 3:02 PM CST
First LakeMaster now only supports Hummingbird units since being bought by Johnson Outdoors.

I had a couple LakeMaster chips for Lowrance units and found the detail to meet my needs.

If you have a Hummingbird unit LakeMaster is a good chip provided the lake(s) you fish are on their chip. LakeMaster upgraded their chip detail every year so the newer chips will have the highest detail but a chip only holds so much memory and some lakes are removed from a chip as the details on some lakes improve. So know what lakes you're going to fish and then contact LakeMaster about the chip you need.

Good Luck

SS

KirtHt
KirtHt
6/18/13 10:32 AM CST
Navionics has many more HD Lakes when compared to LM

Savage25Dad
See Profile
6/17/13 11:06 PM CST
I just purchased a Humminbird 858c HD DI and have been trying to get an unbiased comparison (fat chance eh?)of the 2013 Lakemaster WI version 4 vs the Navionics 2013 Hotmaps Platinum North for use in WI and Lake Michigan. Any input you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Steve

nihsif
See Profile
Level: MEMBER
3/2/13 6:42 PM CST
looks like a lot of similar functionality as Humminbird/Lakemaster... the route planning sounds cool, except what to do about flowages... you can have the high/low water offset, but there's always new obstacles popping up or moved by the ice if in northern part of the states

pretty cool though... not sure I can afford to keep up with all this high tech stuff... want is going to have to be wish with the economy today

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 99
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick HT Plano

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook