Gander Mountain Guide Series Rods

5/17/06 @ 9:46 AM
ORIGINAL POST
esoxbug
esoxbug
USER since 3/22/02
What does everyone think of them? I picked up a 6'6" med light IM7 rod the other day and it seems really nice for the money...

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 118 Posts
4/27/16 @ 7:54 PM
yauckster
yauckster
USER since 5/1/09
opinions please! just bought a pflueger president spinning real 6930 and threw it on a gander mt. angler series 6 6" panfish and trout rod!?!? rod any good??? love the reel!!! help !! 62 yr old fishes w son n grandsons for any species manly pannies! good choice??? thanx for opionions!!! Cool Cool

Post Your Comment
12/7/07 @ 3:37 PM
muskie-addict
muskie-addict
USER since 6/9/02
I assure you there is no surplus of money in our household. For me, its just personal preference. I own three or four, maybe five.... of their spinning rods. I went with GM because I was so impressed with a GM rod I bought about 10 years ago. Then it got stepped on. I bought several different rods trying to find one that compared to this discontinued "walleye" series rod, but none do.

GM's spinning rods are just way too stiff, and not very sensative for walleye jigging. They're action classes are all screwed up. Like I've said before, their ML, which last time I checked was the lightest action rod you could get, is more like a M or a MH. Its like your morning coffee saying "decaf" on the label, but after a drink or two...you realize you got a double espresso. Tough to gingerly lob a minnow and an 1/8 oz leadhead with a pool cue.

Again, in MY opinion, they're just not sensative enough. If you fished heavy leadheads and fireline or some sort of superbraid, you could jig walleyes and feel a bite. To me, their rods are geared towards a casting application for pike.

Maybe they've totally changed up their linup and I'm just babbling about old stuff. But I bought my last GM spinning rod in the summer of 06, and was still disappointed. Kept the ones I bought just to have spares or for when I take the little woman out crawler dunking for cats/bass/carp/sheeps, etc. Rods are perfect for bottom fishing for hard pulling fish like the above.

And, like I've also said, their musky rods are really nice, and are very, very hard to beat for the money.

Post Your Comment
12/7/07 @ 7:34 AM
wi river rat
wi river rat
USER since 4/2/02
I've got a couple of the 7ft medium action rods. For a little over 20 bucks you can't go wrong. RAT.

Post Your Comment
12/6/07 @ 5:20 PM
muskie-addict
muskie-addict
USER since 6/9/02
Me too. Four are the Competitor series, and I bought every one that was on the shelf, needed two more, so after finding out that the Competitor series was discontinued, I bought two of the Guide Series trolling rods. Unsure of the model, they're red in color.

For 30-$40, darn nice rod. More fancy than you need for trolling boards, really. They've been proven up to 40+ pound fish this year, can't argue with that. Also use them for walleyes.

As I said below, there's lots of folks making really nice spinning and casting rods, but GM is not one of them. If you want a musky rod...fine. But unless they've changed something in the last 18 months, GM rods are junk IMO.

Post Your Comment
12/6/07 @ 3:55 PM
snowdog
snowdog
USER since 9/13/02
I have 6 of their trolling rods and really like them.

Post Your Comment
12/6/07 @ 2:26 PM
nut
nut
USER since 10/31/02
Thats all I buy is gander rods, Back in the day they used st. croix blanks but now they use something different but just as good. My favorite on is with the fishes 5"6" light power fast action. Man I caught a ton of walleyes with that jigging 1/16th oz jigs and leeches. It now reides in Lake Wisconsin due to my brother get a little power crazy with our 6hp merc. They don't last forever though I lost one of his a couple years earlier payback. I helped him lose a 35lb muskie the year after, Then he got a 41" pike on my tip-up. Funny how it works out. Yeah those rods are as good as you need. unless you just like to spend your money.

Post Your Comment
3/21/07 @ 12:08 PM
Shore Fisher
Shore Fisher
USER since 2/13/07
I own 4 guide series rods 2 8'6 a 7ft and a 10'6 noodle good deal for the price plus they got michigan style handle on their noodle rods which a like more then the regular style good rods in my opinon.

Post Your Comment
3/19/07 @ 5:21 PM
wild4bass
wild4bass
USER since 2/6/07
i have had a guide series for two years now. i think that they are an amazing rod for the price. i love these rods. gander will also give you a brand new one if yours breaks anytime in two years. i had an unfortunate break while fishing last year with a buddy of mine. but long story short i brought the rod in to gander mountain and they gave me the exact same rod no questions asked. very nice rod

Post Your Comment
3/17/07 @ 10:41 AM
Wallski
Wallski
USER since 12/14/04
I buy Guide Series rods when ever I can, I've had them for a few years so they are durable- I have ultralight, medium, medium-light, I love them all. Best rods for the money hands down.

Post Your Comment
1/12/07 @ 11:51 AM
Fish Boy 35
Fish Boy 35
USER since 1/14/05
Kdogg maninblack is right they have not been made by St. Croix for 7 years.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 118 Posts