MORE
Fishing Equipment

Aid spinning "jig" rod

10/3/15 @ 2:06 PM
INITIAL POST
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
5 years ago I bought two matching Avids (6'3" ML action) and paired them with a couple of Sahara 1000's. I broke a rod this spring and submitted for a replacement one from St Croix. When the rod arrived I noticed that the rod was MUCH different from the original one, even though they are the exact same model. The cork handle is a dead match and the blank is the same color. After that the differences are impossible to overlook. The guide placement is much different (the spacing is smaller and the bottom guide starts a clear 1 1/2" further away from the handle). The blank has a smaller taper so the top 1/4 of the blank is much, much softer and lighter. I looked at the blank to confirm I had the right model. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I have sent S.C. an email explaining the dilemma and am waiting for a response. Crying
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
10/10/15 @ 11:11 AM
The Fishinnut
The Fishinnut
User since 8/11/10
Same thing happen to me couple yrs.back and must say original's were better in my opinion before the IPC.
10/7/15 @ 5:17 PM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04
Just got back from Park Falls at the factory store. My buddy bought some a month ago and ended up with some "pool cue" rods, but when I checked it out this week, there were plenty of nicer lighter weight rods to choose from. Keep breaking off the tips of those expensive rods you guys! I ended up with a 7 foot(almost) one piece, spinning rod that is just soft enough to lob a float rig.... Exactly what I was looking for. The last bargain bin rod from them was my favorite for many years. They glue on a new rod tip and sell them 30-50 bucks.
10/6/15 @ 7:09 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
OK. I think I have this thing figured out. After going to a Gander Mountain and looking at a 6'3" medium action Avid I have come to the conclusion that there have been some engineering changes that have affected what the rod is "now" compared to a few years ago. So, I am going to send the rod back in exchange for a medium action rod, which is actually much closer to the medium light(s) I purchased previously. I had several years to enjoy the matched set and may yet splurge on another pair albeit in the Premier line. The price is getting pretty high on all of their stuff. The lady at customer service was totally cool with all of this and said that no matter what I decide they want to make sure I am satisfied. Guess I am still a SC customer. Big Smile
10/4/15 @ 9:44 AM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
I did consider that. It would be a hell of a fluke though considering the other "twin" I purchased with it was exactly like the one I broke. I just don't think they would make 2 identical defective rods and then sell them retail. It is possible, just not probable. I have gotten a replacement rod another time where the blank color, grip, and guide styles were different due to a change in the entire rod line. That was entirely acceptable. This one has all of the same materials (if my eyes are not deceiving me). It is almost as if they changed blank composition resulting in a softer, lighter action than it's predecessors. It would be nice to have that matched set for vertical jigging walleyes. That is why I purchased the identical sets in the first place.
10/3/15 @ 2:08 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
Avid spinning, not Aid. Could not edit header. Sorry.
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE