SEARCH
MORE
Fishing Equipment

Leaders

4/25/15 @ 7:48 AM
INITIAL POST
Go Figure
User since 2/19/15
Hey guy's. Looking for info on what's your favorite leader set up. Do you use any. Is it based on water clarity, species of fish. So many different types on the market, just looking for that edge. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts
4/26/15 @ 12:16 AM
ultramicro
User since 6/17/11
I use 832 as a main line most of the time for gamefish (and white bass) these days. I usually terminate it with a #14, #12 or #10 barrel swivel. For pike and muskies, I use 8"-18" handtied, uncoated bronze finish wire leaders, which the esox (and big largemouths) don't seem to mind at all! For everything else I prefer 2'-3' Berkley 100% Fluorocarbon leaders. These stiff and hard-finished fluoro leaders primarily provide shock absorption and abrasion resistance, which I feel perfectly complements the performance of the 832 (and other braids). My bait choice depends the most on water clarity, my line and leader choice then depends upon my chosen bait! Think backward, from the fish, through the bait, line and rod, all the way back to the reel! Fully balanced tackle is critical to successful fishing! Smile
4/25/15 @ 4:46 PM
Troy Stoeger
Troy Stoeger
User since 4/2/02
I very rarely use a leader with braid either. I fish some very, very clear waters too and still, the fish don't seem to care. I'll go so far as to say heavy mono is more visible than a much smaller diameter braid. I use 2/10 or similar sized braid on all my spinning gear without leaders and never have I noticed fish to be line shy. To each their own though, its a confidence game.
4/25/15 @ 3:24 PM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08
I really like a leader with braid,I mostly use mono.I like a little stretch,I can regulate the amount of stretch by how long the leader is or by changing to floro.I also like mono for tying a knot on the lure,also being very cheap my braid last longer if I use a leader.
4/25/15 @ 10:15 AM
Scott F
User since 6/12/10
Except for steel leaders when pike or muskie fishing, I have never felt the need for mono or fluoro leaders when fishing with braid. Many guys have no confidence in braid without leaders but not me.
Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE