SEARCH
MORE
Fishing Equipment

Unpainted jig source

5/18/14 @ 7:24 PM
INITIAL POST
billybango
User since 11/14/09
Hey guys, I'm looking for a place to buy unpainted "walleye" jigs for my own use. Maybe 100 each of a few sizes. I'm looking for the tip-up style, stand up style, and the banana head style. I ordered some from a guy a while back, but I don't have his info any more. Any help would be great. Thanks!
Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts
5/21/14 @ 5:21 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
cds I'm a terrible speller and I freely admit it! LOL! MH, yes they are probably paying sales tax on the lead but not the 11% federal Excise tax (better CDS? LOL) on it because lead is not considered a Dingle/Johnson (sadly the name of the two politicians who got the law passed) taxable item until it's made into something specifically for fishing. Go to the shops that have the huge bins of no name bulk jigs and tell me they're not made in someone's basement. They are able to undercut the other guys because right off the bat they're saving 11%. It wouldn't surprise me that if the IRS came after them they would also go after the stores carrying the guys jigs.
5/21/14 @ 3:40 PM
MuskyHunter
MuskyHunter
User since 6/17/01
How many guys are honestly making tens of thousands on ebay and not paying taxes? I would think if it such a lucrative business and still hasn't raised an eyebrow of the big boys, then it probably isn't happening. If these guys are really making that many jigs, they are indeed paying for lead and paying taxes. Ditto feel free to make a donation.
5/21/14 @ 2:20 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
No the guy making 150 jigs in his basement is not going to get busted. And if he's just making them for himself then there's nothing wrong with it. But the guys selling them on Ebay and going store to store who make 10's of thousands of jigs per year like many of them they are playing a dangerous game because if the IRS finds out they will eat them alive. And all they have to do is PO one legitamite jig maker who's paying their exsize tax and have them report him for an IRS agent to knock on the door. Plus do we as sportsmen want to support someone who isn't paying the tax that sportsman were responsible in getting put on fishing tackle many years ago? I'm all for paying as little in taxes as much as the next guy but this tax was asked for by sportsmen and the monies are ear marked for water use such as stocking, monitoring, etc. These are things we need done and without the tax there isn't any money to do them.
5/21/14 @ 12:03 PM
MuskyHunter
MuskyHunter
User since 6/17/01
Ditto, are you sitting on 50,000 rounds of .22 and enough MREs until the year 3000? Some guy making 150 jigs in his basement isn't really on the top of the government watchlist.
5/21/14 @ 11:20 AM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
Yes the tax has been paid on the hooks but I highly doubt on the lead. And his time is also taxable, this is what happened to the archery shops. The tax was paid on the shafts by the manufactures but not on the feathers or glue so if they charged $1.50 to fletch an arrow and the feathers cost $.45 and the glue was $.05 $100 labor was taxable in addition to the $.50 for feathers and glue. Shops got put out of business by the IRS for this!
5/20/14 @ 3:59 AM
MuskyHunter
MuskyHunter
User since 6/17/01
Try reinkebro.com Small family owned shop in Milwaukee. No tin foil hat needed as well.
5/19/14 @ 11:26 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
What do you think the IRS will do when they figure you've been selling $1000+ per year for the last 20 years? First they are going to estimate you were actually making $2000 per year then hit you with penalties and fines and interest. These can all ad up real fast and real high. Ask the guys in the archery shops that the IRS went after for fletching arrows and not paying the exsize tax on. Trust me I'm all about paying as little in taxes as the next guy but these guys going around the exsize paxes are basically stealing from the sportsmen.
5/19/14 @ 9:29 PM
steelieangler2
User since 7/19/09
lol u gotta be kidding, take there house? For selling homemade jigs? Ur a knob
5/19/14 @ 9:27 AM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
The over priced Chinese baits are paying their taxes though. And a lot of these guys are making more than a nickle doing this. Many of them are making A LOT of money doing this. Just wait till the IRS catches up with them though, they won't have a house left.
5/18/14 @ 9:36 PM
D Big Tuna
D Big Tuna
User since 10/10/09
ebay
5/18/14 @ 8:38 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
When you buy jigs from some guy making them in the basement make sure to ask if they're paying the Federal exsise tax on them. This tax goes directly to fishing and water resources and if they're not paying it they're basically stealing from other fishermen. Plus they are risking loosing everything they own if the IRS finds out.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE