Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

Kennel in Garage

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

OTTO-Matic
OTTO-Matic
Level: General User
6/20/11 9:49 AM CST
We are moving to a new house, and my wife has declared it a no dog house. I have an English Setter. My plan is to put a kennel in the garage, with dog door to the fenced in back yard. The garage has windows, and I'm planning on installing a ceiling fan, and since he'll be able to go outside on his own, I don't think the summer should be too bad. The garage is uninsulated. I have gotten one estimate to insulate the garage, but it kind of blew me out of the water. I am thinking of getting a space heater, and a nice house for him.

Do any of you keep your dog in the garage like this? And do you have any recommendations or tips for me?

Thanks

crappiekillerjake
crappiekillerjake
5/31/14 10:17 AM CST
i have a hound that i done that with. my advice, buy the insulation at insulate yourself. i did that to my garage and it stays prob 15 degrees cooler in there with no fan on.

metonga
See Profile
6/29/11 11:54 AM CST
put the wife outside and keep the dogs inside!!!!

One shot one kill
See Profile
Level: MEMBER
6/27/11 8:38 PM CST
Plus a CFL will not have a lot of heat. Big Smile

PntrRookie
See Profile
6/27/11 7:35 PM CST
Click Here for Hound Heater Runs on a heating element now. Don't believe they use th bulb which is good because you do not have to worry about burn out.

One shot one kill
See Profile
6/27/11 2:50 PM CST
There is a device called a Hound Heater that runs off a light bulb . You attach it inside the dog house. That and a insulated house should be good for any winter.

[This post was last edited on 6/27/11 at 2:52 PM]
mike51098
See Profile
6/20/11 9:57 PM CST
I have my dogs kenneled in my garage.

They are outside a lot weather permitting. Most of the time, winter/summer they can spend the nights outside. I put a fan in the kennel in the summer, but I have an unfinished basement where they spend their time when it's too hot or too cold.

OTTO-Matic
OTTO-Matic
6/20/11 9:34 PM CST
Thanks everyone for the advice. As requested here are some pics of my English Setter. The first picture is of my dog backing up my uncle's Gordon and Red. My dog was given to me by my uncle who bought him from a breeder in Pennsylvania, but I can't recall the name.

Prop
See Profile
6/20/11 3:19 PM CST
I wouldn't worry about a space heater. After couple of winters your electric bill would make the installation bill look small. Doghouse just big enough for your dog in any building is plenty warm for a dog. Biggest thing in the winter is to just keep them out of the wind. Just remember a heated dog bowl in the garage though.

nighttrain
nighttrain
6/20/11 12:39 PM CST
I built a 2'x 5' area in the front of our garage with a door going to a run out back for our gsp. I then built a little box that will fit in the corner that I place in there for the winter. Since there isn't much fat to my guy I bought one of the plastic heated pet mats from farm and fleet and stick inside that. Keeps him snug as a bug.

PntrRookie
See Profile
6/20/11 11:43 AM CST
I would only make the garage kennel large enough for a space to turn around, stand up and lay down along with an insulated dog house (igloo type) where it can go inside to keep itself warm. Put hay in there for the winter. You do not want the garage kennel too big where it feels like it can relieve itself inside. You want them going outside for potty, or your garage is going to smell. I have pointers outside 24/7, each with their own k9 condo...hay inside them...and I am confident they are warm. A fan will help in the summer...key here is shade. If they are out of the direct sun and have fresh water, they should be ok. Where did you get your setter? Picts please ;)

Ratoney
Ratoney
6/20/11 10:07 AM CST
I have a kennel in my uninsulated garage that leads to an outside run. The way I constructed it, the lockable space is in front of the vehicles when parked. I sectioned it and used two inch foam sandwiched between plywood for the "sleeping space". My wirehairs normally stay in the house but occasionally sleep outside during the winter while we're at work and do fine. I think as long as they can get out of the wind, most dogs will do fine. Adding straw or chips would help even more, but I avoid it because of the mess. Good luck, Ratoney

Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick HT Plano

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook