SEARCH
MORE
Dogs & Dog Training

Breeder in Central WI

9/14/13 @ 10:17 AM
INITIAL POST
Nyeguy
User since 3/28/02
Looking for a little help folks. I am looking to possibly get a pup next summer and I am looking for some reputable breeders in Central Wisconsin. I live between Stevens Point and Wisconsin Rapids. Still not entirely sure as to what breed I am looking for. I want one that is first and foremost good with kids, then one that would be good for grouse, pheasant, and possibly ducks. Any suggestions as to breeder or breed would be greatly appreciated. I know I am wasting my breath by saying this, but lets please not turn this into my breed is better then your breed. Let's keep this civil, but then again this is LL and there are just some looking to argue. Thanks folks! Feel free to send me a PM if you don't want to post!
Displaying 1 to 15 of 27 posts
1/9/14 @ 9:06 AM
PntrRookie
PntrRookie
User since 4/4/05
Crappie...a Vizsla is very similar to the GSP. Here are a few references... http://www.cwvc.org/ http://www.rockwoodkennels.net/ http://www.ramblinrivervizsla.info/ http://www.miravizslas.com/default.htm http://www.crimsonskyvizslas.com/index.htm How about a setter? GREAT family dogs and a little longer of a tail to see in the woods Smile
1/8/14 @ 5:04 PM
Jeff Crappie
User since 2/8/09
If you don't mind I will join the "best dog " discussion. Surely everyone has their favorite breed, but I have raised and trained 4 German Shorthaired Pointers and "lived" with 4 others as a youth. What a great breed? The question about "good with kids"-my shorthairs have been wonderful, trustworthy and patient with kids. I have 10 grandchildren and my current dog gets a real test from them. However, I do have a question of my own. My dog is getting up their and my not be around more then another year or so. I am curious about Visulas. I have seen a few beautiful, quiet dogs of this breed. While I will do some bird hunting I do walk my dog in the forest every morning for 2 or 3 miles and have 3 acres for a dog to enjoy. The dog would get lots and lots of training, love and attention. Would a Visula be a good bet? HOw would they compare to a GSP? Who might be good breeders in Wisconsin? What is the approximate going rate for a female pup? Thanks a lot for any response. Crappie man
11/10/13 @ 9:36 AM
Gorilla
User since 5/21/02
We got our lab at Lorken Farms over in Fremont, she been a wonderful dog. Great people and dogs, also have some good prep reading on getting a puppy regardless of what breed. http://http://www.lorkenfarms.com/
11/9/13 @ 8:19 PM
Mik
Mik
User since 3/28/08
I'm sorry centralwiwalleyeslayer2 as I really don't mean to offend but saying this breed or that is hands down the best with kids is at least a very uninformed "opinion". When looking for a dog to do this or that tell the breeder what you are looking for and any breeders worth their salt are going to give you an honest answer.. I've had a German Shepard, 2 Weimaraners,and currently a GSP and all of those dogs were great family pets and nothing but friendly and loving to kids including my own son....It has a little more to do with breeding and upbringing/training than it does the breed of the animal.... I'd put my current GSP up against any Golden Retriever any day of the week as far as being a great field dog and family pet... And the best part is he's dry 20 minutes after a bath after 4 hours of hunting grouse, pheasant, or woodcock....Oh, and if I hunted ducks or geese he'd still be clean and dry 20 minutes after a bath at home or the cottage :-) Find a good breeder of the particular breed you decide on and they will help you pick the dog that would be best for your Family and the requirements you're looking for....It may cost you a little bit more up front but it will (in my opinion) pay for itself in the long run... I would also suggest as earlier said to contact the local NAVHDA chapter, great bunch of helpful folks...several of which are breeders of different versatile breeds...they want their pups in loving Family homes that hunt......
11/9/13 @ 9:54 AM
Duffin
User since 12/16/10
Your note indicates you want versatile dog (upland and waterfowl). Most of the versatile breeds would be great. Check out NAVHDA. Below is the link to the local chapter http://ncwnavhda.org/
11/6/13 @ 11:46 PM
knute
User since 2/21/09
Just make sure that the breeder that's for EIC! If you don't know what it is, check it out at U of MN vet school. Leedind authority on this matter. Any breeder that doesn't test for and does sell infected dog is only in it for the love of money and not the breed.
9/28/13 @ 3:40 PM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
User since 2/15/10
golden retriever is the best hands down with kids
9/27/13 @ 11:11 PM
SHEEPD0G
SHEEPD0G
User since 5/22/12
There are pups to be had all over out of MH parents for $600 or less if you look around, that's what I'd call a dime a dozen quality lab breeding. The vast majority don't get their full potential out of their dog, as long as they're happy and it does what they want then that's all that matters.
9/27/13 @ 7:48 AM
vance80
vance80
User since 12/3/08
I went through the same thing as you a year ago. I have small kids and wanted a dog that would hunt upland and waterfowl. I wanted something other than a lab because everyone has one and I like to be different. But after looking into other breeds and being realistic on what I wanted, I still ended up with a lab. When it comes to kids and family, I'm not sure there is a better dog. For upland birds, there are lots of sporting dogs to choose from and they all seem to get the job done. Waterfowl is where it narrowed it down for me. When the water gets cold, its hard to beat a lab. Even though I was kinda looking for a different breed, I'm happy I got my lab. So far he's been everything I've wanted. If you are interested in a lab, you can pm me and I can recommend the breeder I used. Very good prices on his pups. He is active in hunt tests and health clearances are done on the parents along with a health guarantee on the pups.
9/22/13 @ 12:16 AM
HOGSLAYER
User since 10/24/10
Sheepdog there maybe be a "dime a dozen' breeding people who breed labs but hardly quality labs. Ol' Fido bred to "Out Back Sue" are everywhere. One can easily look on entry express web site and look at who wins at the field trials, hunt tests. One may never ever run either of the venues but getting a pup from an FC, HRCH, or MH breeding sure puts the odds in your favor of a top notch gun dog. I your goal is for Fido to bring a ball back you may be fine, if you require more from your hunting dog as I do, a hard triple, with a blind retrieve on a crippled bird 200 yards out is what I demand from my dogs. This not only takes training it takes "horse power and drive" this only comes from top notch breeding.The price of the pup is nothing, it's everything after you pick the pup up that costs money.
9/19/13 @ 7:20 AM
hear duck
User since 11/8/08
I suggest Lumpy's also. Jeff has great dogs and does excellent training.
9/18/13 @ 10:05 PM
PntrRookie
PntrRookie
User since 4/4/05
Nyeguy, give Lumpy's a call. He will do you right. The price of a pup is a small investment for the next 10+ years.
9/18/13 @ 1:53 PM
AllDayIDreamAboutSmallies
AllDayIDreamAboutSmallies
PRO MEMBER User since 3/14/06
Does anybody have any knowledge, (good or bad!), about Countryside Retrievers in Watertown? I beleive the owner's name is Bernadette Peterson and the #1 stud dog appears to be a big yellow named Tank! Any feedback is appreciated!
9/16/13 @ 6:47 PM
bass master$
bass master$
User since 2/19/08
Prop..are you saying there is a lab breeder in richfield as in by cabelas..pm me & let me know thanks
9/16/13 @ 3:33 PM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03
I like being frugal. There are many times in life when saving a penny is well worth it. Buying a dog is NOT when of those times.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 27 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE