Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

Turned Away at Border...Why??

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

Buster1
Buster1
Level: General User
1/24/10 6:53 PM CST
I am planning a hunting trip to Ontario in fall and have been hearing stories of people being turned away at the border. One of the guys hoping to go has a DUI within the past 3 years, which will probably be an issue and may keep him home. Are there other reasons that the Ontario border patrol has or can turn you away at the border? I was told that it is a discretionary thing but I would like to hear reasons why people have not been allowed to cross the border.

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 32
Buster1
Buster1
12/1/10 7:57 PM CST
Went deer hunting early November and had no issues crossing into Ontario. There was a pretty good crowd crossing the same time my group of 7 did. Didn't even get the rifles checked which was a first.

Nozzleman
Nozzleman
11/25/10 1:34 PM CST
The guy next to me at the border patrol office was getting hassled big time for having a jet ski incident back in 1989. I'm sure there was alcohol involved but come on....1989!

Lectrotech
See Profile
11/3/10 5:47 AM CST
I can't go to CaNa Duh I have an OWI. Not a problem. Be advised Sorels are now made in China.

centralwiwalleyeslayer2
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
10/29/10 6:36 PM CST
yes he can go but not this year he had to apply 6 months in advance to cross the border... you gotta pay a some kind of fee and then they look it over and can still deny him accrossed the border.. not worth it..

Buster1
Buster1
10/29/10 12:50 AM CST
I'll be heading up next week and will report my findings upon our return!

GNO
See Profile
7/8/10 8:26 PM CST
Having a DUI less than 5 years ago is a major problem. Over 5 years it is alot easier, but they can charge you the $200 fee and past 10 years they are not an issue. This is all providing there are no other felony charges and/or multiple DUI's. The time of the offences sentence being completed is when they start counting the years, not the arrest. Thsi includes any fines being paid or probation being completed.

Prop
See Profile
7/6/10 10:38 AM CST
Just make sure your not the driver as you cross.

goelke
goelke
7/6/10 10:34 AM CST
Heading up to Canada July 31st thru August7th. Going thru International Falls. I have a DWI which will be 10 years old in September. From what I'm hearing, I'm may be in trouble. I will be traveling with my wife and two young kids. Should I cancel the trip??? Maybe try another boarder crossing???

sundance
sundance
6/10/10 8:00 AM CST
Iron ,I was thinking the same thing. Thanks! We leave Saturday morning. Can't wait!!!!

Iron
Iron
6/6/10 8:06 AM CST
Sundance- I would'nt if you must drink buy a smaller bottle in the states and if you dnt finish it dump it! why get all the way there and take that chance? I wouldnt go through all smellin like booze and hung over either, im not sure if its changed or not since my last time, but it was a litre of booze duty free...not a 1.75L my father found out that one. in 10 trips across we got tore down 1 time at the border, kind of a pain in the a$$. so dont give any reasons for them to! Just take your sunglasses off, smile and answer the questions confidently and honestly .....have fun! Smile

sundance
sundance
6/5/10 8:01 PM CST
Can a bottle of booze be open before you cross. Like we are staying just south of the border the night before and might have to open one of the bottles for a night cap.

laketrout36
laketrout36
5/12/10 9:13 PM CST
I've been across the Canadian border a few times and have never had a problem. It's simple, they ask a question and you give the answer. One guy in our group who was in the vehicle ahead of us made a smart a- - comment to the Canadian border agent. They were told to pull over and wait. They were given a complete vehicle/camper/boat inspection. We answered all questions and went through to our fishing area. We didn't see the other vehicle for 8 hours. Maybe we should be treating our borders like this and what others have posted and then maybe, just maybe we wouldn't be getting so many idiots and criminals flocking to the states. Keep the trash at home, don't bring it on vacation.

GNO
See Profile
2/19/10 1:10 AM CST
It can be a hassle going either way sometimes. Overall is it a very simple and painless process. I cross a few times a month and I rarely have any issues. I use my passport for ID and claim any items that I purchased or are taking with me, sometimes I have to go in and fill out paperwork or pay duty, but it quick and smooth.

rks
See Profile
Level: MEMBER
2/18/10 1:38 PM CST
You need to take an experienced guide with you from Pedro's guide service.

kgeary
kgeary
2/18/10 10:42 AM CST
Its the same with us going from Canada to the U.S. If we have a criminal record in Canada we are not allowed into the U.S. The border is a hassle for Canadians going both ways. If I'm heading to a sportshow it takes an hour to fill out the paperworkd for brochures etc. when I\'m coming home I have to prove that i didn't buy this or that in the states. It's not personal. nothing in their job description tells them to be friendly and helpful. however they are polite. The government isn't going to change their policy on this because someone wants to cross the border to go fishing or hunting.

Contact Canadian customs and they will let you know what you can or can't do.

Deal with it and then "come on up" and enjoy some great fishing and northern hospitality. (once you get by the border)

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 32
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick Baitmate

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook