Turned Away at Border...Why??

1/24/10 @ 6:53 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Buster1
Buster1
USER since 9/14/06
I am planning a hunting trip to Ontario in fall and have been hearing stories of people being turned away at the border. One of the guys hoping to go has a DUI within the past 3 years, which will probably be an issue and may keep him home. Are there other reasons that the Ontario border patrol has or can turn you away at the border? I was told that it is a discretionary thing but I would like to hear reasons why people have not been allowed to cross the border.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 32 Posts
12/1/10 @ 7:57 PM
Buster1
Buster1
USER since 9/14/06
Went deer hunting early November and had no issues crossing into Ontario. There was a pretty good crowd crossing the same time my group of 7 did. Didn't even get the rifles checked which was a first.

Post Your Comment
11/25/10 @ 1:34 PM
Nozzleman
Nozzleman
USER since 12/27/01
The guy next to me at the border patrol office was getting hassled big time for having a jet ski incident back in 1989. I'm sure there was alcohol involved but come on....1989!

Post Your Comment
11/3/10 @ 5:47 AM
Lectrotech
Lectrotech
USER since 11/19/09
I can't go to CaNa Duh I have an OWI. Not a problem. Be advised Sorels are now made in China.

Post Your Comment
10/29/10 @ 6:37 PM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
USER since 2/15/10
yes he can go but not this year he had to apply 6 months in advance to cross the border... you gotta pay a some kind of fee and then they look it over and can still deny him accrossed the border.. not worth it..

Post Your Comment
10/29/10 @ 12:50 AM
Buster1
Buster1
USER since 9/14/06
I'll be heading up next week and will report my findings upon our return!

Post Your Comment
7/8/10 @ 8:27 PM
GNO
GNO
USER since 8/13/09
Having a DUI less than 5 years ago is a major problem. Over 5 years it is alot easier, but they can charge you the $200 fee and past 10 years they are not an issue. This is all providing there are no other felony charges and/or multiple DUI's. The time of the offences sentence being completed is when they start counting the years, not the arrest. Thsi includes any fines being paid or probation being completed.

Post Your Comment
7/6/10 @ 10:38 AM
Prop
Prop
USER since 4/9/03
Just make sure your not the driver as you cross.

Post Your Comment
7/6/10 @ 10:35 AM
goelke
goelke
USER since 1/26/10
Heading up to Canada July 31st thru August7th. Going thru International Falls. I have a DWI which will be 10 years old in September. From what I'm hearing, I'm may be in trouble. I will be traveling with my wife and two young kids. Should I cancel the trip??? Maybe try another boarder crossing???

Post Your Comment
6/10/10 @ 8:00 AM
sundance
sundance
USER since 3/26/02
Iron ,I was thinking the same thing. Thanks! We leave Saturday morning. Can't wait!!!!

Post Your Comment
6/6/10 @ 8:07 AM
Iron
Iron
USER since 8/21/09
Sundance- I would'nt if you must drink buy a smaller bottle in the states and if you dnt finish it dump it! why get all the way there and take that chance? I wouldnt go through all smellin like booze and hung over either, im not sure if its changed or not since my last time, but it was a litre of booze duty free...not a 1.75L my father found out that one. in 10 trips across we got tore down 1 time at the border, kind of a pain in the a$$. so dont give any reasons for them to! Just take your sunglasses off, smile and answer the questions confidently and honestly .....have fun! Smile

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 32 Posts