SEARCH
MORE
Canadian Reports/Discussion

Declaring alcohol at the border ?

2/22/15 @ 3:28 PM
INITIAL POST
flint fredstone
User since 4/10/12
Just a question in the WTF zone. If I am crossing into Canada with a bottle of Canadian made Whiskey and it says " product of Canada " on it why do I need to declare it ?
Displaying 1 to 15 of 34 posts
8/4/15 @ 7:17 AM
fishies
User since 1/2/12
Fling, Check your messenger.
8/2/15 @ 7:19 PM
by the finn
User since 9/4/01
been to Canada 16x ....u going to fish or drink??? never had an issue...and I enjoy both....u ask for problems they will find u...its their country not ours...respect it, enjoy it, bottoms up
8/2/15 @ 7:03 PM
flint fredstone
User since 4/10/12
Just an update to my original question. The Canadian Customs people didn't even notice the extra booze. I pulled up to the checkpoint with a 3' long bong and a loaded AK 47 propped up in the backseat. They didn't even ask if I had alcohol to declare ! KIDDING!! just got back both crossings were very short and sweet !
5/25/15 @ 8:13 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
With all the great beers only available in Canada why would you worry about bringing American beer in?
5/25/15 @ 7:12 PM
fishhook
fishhook
PRO MEMBER User since 9/16/01
To each his own sarge. I go to Canada twice a year and fish pretty serious for 8 days. Nothing said we can't have more than a few cold beers around the camp fire at night. You want a few beers in the boat? Then that's your choice.
5/25/15 @ 6:12 PM
drptine
User since 6/6/07
I agree you never want to worry about the booze. We always make sure we bring in more than enough so we aren't concerned with running out.
5/25/15 @ 2:20 PM
ol sarge
ol sarge
User since 3/8/04
Canada is not the US and you must obey their laws. I think that too many Americans forget that. Concentrate on what is important about going to Canada, the fishing and don't worry about the booze. Just my 2 cents.
5/25/15 @ 1:25 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
If you can't afford to spend the small amount of duty on your booze then I suggest you stay home.
5/25/15 @ 10:55 AM
drptine
User since 6/6/07
Being tore apart is random. Nothing to do if you have 8 cases of beer for four guys or two cases of beer for four guys. Just be honest and you will have no problems. I have crossed the border better than a hundred times and have only been torn apart once. I make it a rule to never cross on a Saturday if I can help it.
5/25/15 @ 10:43 AM
Summers Off
User since 5/9/06
According to the duty calculator, I would pay $30.87 of duty for a $25, 1.75 L bottle of Captain Morgan's Rum (70 proof or 35% alcohol). So that bottle of captain is about $60 plus tax in Ontario or $56 to bring and declare (above and beyond the 1 L you get to bring duty free). Looks like you save about $10 per 1.75 L you declare. What is your time worth? Now that being said, we bring what is allowed duty free and buy beer in Ontario. I have been going to Ontario for 14-15 years. Some year we even take two trips. About 5-6 years ago, we had a little more of a party group and we had extra beer and extra bottles. Two rigs with 3 guys in each. First rig straight through, didn't even have to pay duty. My rig, was not so lucky. We got pulled in and tore apart. They unloaded the entire truck, the suit cases, coolers...everything. They went through the cab of the truck under the hood, in the back of the box, even let the spare tire down. Then they moved onto the boat. Took everything out of my storage went through the storage areas with flash lights and a fine tooth comb. Opened tackle boxes up, took rods our of travel cases. Even dumped our crawlers out of the bedding and onto a tarp. It took the two boarder agents about an 90 minutes to go through everything. Took us about 35-40 minutes to repack everything. When were were all done, we still had to go inside and pay our duty....this took another 20-25 minutes. Not worth my time or energy to repack the truck and boat to save $15 or $20 so we now just bring the 1 L per man of booze and buy a couple cases of beer when we get into Ontario.
5/25/15 @ 8:02 AM
CHISEL
PRO MEMBER User since 6/19/01
Three years ago we bought a couple extra cases of beer and a bottle at the duty free store thinking we would save money. When you get to the border you still have to pay duty on everything above the limit allowed even when buying duty free. We had to pull over and wait in line for almost a half an hour to pay duty. After paying duty they still told us to pull the cover off the boat and searched both the car and boat which took another 20 min. Won't be doing that again just because of the inconvenience it caused even though we followed the rules. Costs about the same to bring your limit and purchase the rest up there. Many years ago my cousin went up with a group of guys and took extra booze and beer and didn't declare it. They were randomly pulled aside and searched so they found the extra booze and beer. They proceeded to empty every can and bottle on the ground and then told them to turn around and don't come back. Not worth chancing it in my opinion. Just pay the money up there and enjoy the fishing and scenery.
5/17/15 @ 4:14 PM
drptine
User since 6/6/07
Here. Go to canadiandutycalculator.ca Duty free shop I have found has always been more expensive than paying the duty. Either way that case of beer cost you double. It is more convenient at times to do the duty free store. Nothing like some ice cold blue and a fire after fishing.
5/17/15 @ 2:43 PM
percheye1
User since 6/24/01
I was just informed on the Duty free store as the way to buy your beer and alcohol about half price.
5/15/15 @ 8:04 AM
drptine
User since 6/6/07
So if the bottle cost 35 tell them at the border the most expensive bottle you are bringing in is 20 bucks. It will save you money and they never check or even question it. I have been over the border 100 plus times and have only been torn apart once and that is because i had temporary plates on a truck. You will pretty much pay for that bottle of booze again at the border.
5/15/15 @ 6:46 AM
Bullman
User since 4/10/15
Heading up to Ontario in a few weeks and plan on bringing one extra bottle of whiskey over our allowable limit. The cost US is around $35. Does anyone have a rule of thumb for the duty on this? I know buying the same bottle will be double the cost once I cross the border.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 34 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE