Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

How do you sharpen electric knife

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

Steve H
See Profile
Level: MEMBER
4/16/11 5:02 AM CST
My electric fillet knife is dull. I bought new blades and they were dull new. It is an American Angler

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 21
nihsif
See Profile
4/19/11 4:10 PM CST
USER: Lundy [ view profile > [ ignore user > Level: Registered User Joined: 8/16/2001 Status: ONLINE

with Sarah Palin's neck

..........what is wrong with you????????????????? that is just sick

Lundy
See Profile
Level: General User
4/19/11 3:49 PM CST
with Sarah Palin's neck

muskie-addict
See Profile
4/18/11 10:54 PM CST
Not sure how dull you're talking about, but with electric knives, I think the duller ones can work a little better. Otherwise it seems like there's just too much cutting going on and you zip through skin when you don't want to.

The variety I have is a Rapala brand I believe, pointy teeth, not like the green/yellow In-fisherman ones I've seen. Blade itself comes to a point as well.

Just my opinion.

Steve H
See Profile
4/18/11 6:25 PM CST
BFH, wire wheel on grinder sounds like a great idea. I don't have one but wouldn't take long to get a wire wheel. Does one slow pass do the job or take several passes. I know have the fish and grinder together and work on it til I like the sharpness. It might be awhile before I have a fish to clean and trying to cut a board in half is how it got dull to begin with.

No, I don't want to try it on my finger or the dogs tail.

[This post was last edited on 4/18/11 at 6:27 PM]
Steve H
See Profile
4/18/11 6:00 PM CST
Thanks for the entertainment. The blade that came with it is 3/16 between more scalloped points. This worked fine until it got dull. The replace blade I bought was more pointed and closer together. Two teeth together than 1/4 inch then two teeth together etc. They are much more pointed. I called american angler today and they said the original blade was fillet blade but the pointed one was not and that's why it didn't fillet right. They of course wanted to sell me new blades @ $11.00 plus shipping. The way fish are biting, I may never need a fillet knife.

BFH
BFH
4/18/11 3:58 PM CST
I take the blades out and run them across the wire wheel on my electric grinder works great for me been doing this for years.

Docknboatlift
See Profile
4/18/11 1:52 PM CST
Docknboatlift
See Profile
4/18/11 1:46 PM CST
Steve,

You can count on us for unhelpful advice near about anytime. We like you and figure it won't be taken the wrong way.

Now....about them blades. How tight are the serrations on them? Are they real close together and pointy, or are they about 1/4 inch or better and more scalloped in shape?

Unreel
Unreel
4/18/11 1:44 PM CST
I am SORRY SteveH! I have sinned. I will say 3 Hail Mary's and 4 Our Father's and have Fr O'Malley give me a good old fashioned spankin'. hehe

Steve H
See Profile
4/18/11 1:37 PM CST
Glad we are having fun with this. I'm easy, now I wish I had my blades sharpened, Steve H

[This post was last edited on 4/18/11 at 1:39 PM]
Docknboatlift
See Profile
4/18/11 1:33 PM CST
Help?!?!?

Unreel it's a dang good thing for you that Steve's a kind hearted and patient old timer who knows our ignorant ways and means. He didn't ask you to tell him about new blades. Why if you had offered advice like this to someone using his fourth post ever to inquire about directions to a gas station with a folding county map that fits in a glovebox, well let's just say it wouldn't a been pretty.

I bet you're wishing you could drive Steve and his dull blades over to the knife sharpening expert and pay to have those blades honed to a mirror polish razor's edge, now aren't ya.

Go ahead and apologize to Steve this very instant. You'll feel better.

Why the very idea. Help indeed.

Unreel
Unreel
4/18/11 12:58 PM CST
ahhh, oops. Yeah. I would be returning those blades. hahaha I got wrapped up in the responses and wondered to myself how much new blades were. So I looked them up. Funny how we look stuff up for people without any intention of buying those products ourselves. Just trying to help.

niklaus7
See Profile
4/18/11 12:31 PM CST
hehe, Unreel, read above. Wink

Unreel
Unreel
4/18/11 12:18 PM CST
Have you considered just replacing the blades? Each blade cost between $8.99 and $10.99 depending on the length. A sharpener cost about $11 but can be used many times. You may never get them to be as sharp as they were when new though.

niklaus7
See Profile
4/18/11 10:51 AM CST
i think this sharpener might help ya. they do do serrated knives. check out the link and see what you think.

https://secure.edgemaker.com/sections/tutorials/Default.aspx

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 21
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick HT Plano

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook