Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

selling carp

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

bigwalleye69
bigwalleye69
Level: General User
2/23/11 9:57 AM CST
Is it legal to sell carp since their a rough fish if so does anyone know who buys then and what they pay i have seen fourteen cents a pound in illinois is there anyone who buys them in central wisconsin?

thanks bigeye

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 21
Kodiakman
See Profile
2/25/11 12:27 PM CST
They net the crap out of them on the rock river here in Jefferson County. See them all the time by the Kmart launch in Fort Atkinson. Pretty impressive set up. They flash freeze them and send the semi down to Chicago immediately from what I am told. Big long John boats and a seine net. This fall a few of the got into trouble by keeping some Walleys. 200 or so was the rumor. Can't confirm any of that, just what was passed around town.

Docknboatlift
See Profile
Level: MEMBER
2/25/11 12:24 AM CST
If it were easy,everyone would be doing it.

If it's easy....the DNR has a rule against it.

cds
See Profile
2/24/11 10:21 PM CST
I didn't see the first 4 posts of this thread but it looks like this has been overlooked.

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/lake-koshkonong-wi/TT0HIMOFLAGH9E388

If you're looking for beer money or to augment your allowance,then selling carp shouldn't present any problems beyond finding customers. To do it on a commercial scale,with the investment in equipment, and SKILLED MANPOWER so you don't get in the trouble that doesn't seem all that uncommon......You'd better be a skilled commercial fishermen - as an employee - before starting to drop the cash as a business owner.

A couple 20' jonboats and motors...Those nets ain't cheap,I've done a little research on that....To get top dollar,the fish should get to market alive. How're ya gonna truck'em??..Insurance,reliable tow vehicles....

Out along the Mississippi I've seen a front-yard sign advertising nightcrawlers,fresh eggs, and smoked carp for sale. I don't think they're paying the mortgage on a Florida condo with the proceeds.

Good luck...If it were easy,everyone would be doing it.

Twister
See Profile
2/23/11 5:25 PM CST
When I was a kid growing up in southern Michigan some of the local fishermen built a pond on a clearwater stream about half a mile from where we lived. Then they netted carp from the polluted river, dumped them in the stream for several months, netted them back out and sold them in Chicago. It was probably an ongoing operation for at least 15 years as I can remember my dad working on building the dam before I went to grade school and they were still doing it when I was in high school.

So, it seems like the market is there. But there are probably a lot more permits required now than in that time period.

utahman
utahman
2/23/11 5:11 PM CST
Arent there commercial netters already on the mississippi? Yes it legal to sell them. The only big problem is to get a harvest permit that would entitle you to use methods that would not be legal for the regular fisherman. Meaning BIG nets, traps and so forth. Unfortunately what I read about puckaway is not good. That is why it is regulated and whoever did that should be fined. The reason you apply for a specific permit is so the DNR can check up and see what you are doing. I have often thought of harvesting carp and selling them. AS with any business you have to work out a plan. Start from the end and work your way back to the start. My market is the Jewish and Hmong grocery stores in minneapolis, green bay, milwaukee, chicago, I need refrigerated trucks to get them there. I probably have to at least gut them and clean them off too. Gas money to ship, and return. I guess it would come down to, being closest to your market. Out in Utah ,on Utah lake they allow commercial harvest. What they do is keep them, "Carp" in pens in the water and when they need some for market they harvest them out of the pens.So this could be an option if that were described under your declaration of operation on the permit. It doesnt hurt to ask when it comes to harvesting rough fish especially carp. As Long as they know what your intention is and they can check up on you I dont see that there would be a problem. Just my $0.02 cents worth. As with the business plan. Is this going to be profitable, or is this just a hobby that I can afford ? No need to end discussion here. because this idea has always been a dream of mine. Hey ! Why not! The resource is free. There arent many things left in this world free for the taking SMELT AND CARP!!!!

Ski2313
See Profile
2/23/11 1:20 PM CST
Anyone able to handle the problem professionally won't waste his valuable time because after all is said and done the money wouldn't be there for all the pre-qualifying mazes to pay for themselves.

That is true for any number of things that have government involvement, even as simple as starting a business at all. It's just worse in some states than others (WI ranks consistently as one of the top 5-10 worst in the U.S.)

Docknboatlift
See Profile
2/23/11 1:17 PM CST
Wow,

Did not realize they had that problem on Puck, or my aging memory failed me because I seem to have a vague recollection. Anyway I have spent enough time on Puck to appreciate the problem, though none of it is in the last 7 years.

Not trying to downgrade the problem, but one idiot shouldn't be the cause of never commerically harvesting carp again.

Of course with the DNR in charge, it will require so many hoops, forms, meetings, permits, studies, and licenses....that only a broke drunken fool will actually go through the trouble to actually get a harvest contract....and then they wonder why the results suffer. Anyone able to handle the problem professionally won't waste his valuable time because after all is said and done the money wouldn't be there for all the pre-qualifying mazes to pay for themselves.

Sad. Very sad.

Between the bago chain, puck, and beaver dam, a legit commercial fishing operation could make some real bucks AND dent the carp population AND not create the mess shown in the Puck thread. And I always wondered why it never happened.

BIG FISH 1
See Profile
2/23/11 12:29 PM CST
Growing up in Chicago as teenagers we would catch carp and sell em' for beer money. It was a quite lucrative adventure Big Smile !

the_dude
the_dude
2/23/11 12:06 PM CST
http://dnr.wi.gov/news/BreakingNews_Lookup.asp?id=1514

Dock,

Massive fish kill by a contractor that was supposed to be removing carp.

Edit: Man, that's twice on the same thread that someone beat me to the punch!

[This post was last edited on 2/23/11 at 12:07 PM]
Chauncey421
See Profile
2/23/11 12:04 PM CST
Docknboatlift
See Profile
2/23/11 11:55 AM CST
Dang, but I have been gone too long.

Fill me in on the Puckaway disaster. Sorry I missed hearing about it.

Prop
See Profile
2/23/11 10:22 AM CST
That disaster at Puckaway has put a halt unfortunately for other lakes to do the same.

CazTrait
See Profile
2/23/11 10:17 AM CST
Some fine folks thought Puckaway was worth a fortune, too. Look what happened there...

Docknboatlift
See Profile
2/23/11 10:15 AM CST
Beaver Dam Lake and Lake Winnebago ought to be worth a fortune.

the_dude
the_dude
2/23/11 10:15 AM CST
http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/fish/regulations/2010/documents/FishingRegs10-11_web.pdf#restrictions

According to page 8 of the fishing regulations, it is legal to sell rough fish in Wisconsin.

Edit: Ski beat me to the punch.

[This post was last edited on 2/23/11 at 10:20 AM]
Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 21
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook