Outside Wood Burners

3/14/08 @ 1:00 PM
ORIGINAL POST
sofaking
sofaking
USER since 4/18/02
Just wondering if anyone has one and how do you like them. I currently heat the house now with an inside wood burner and am tired of the mess from hauling wood in all the time. Either going to go with an outside wood burner or inside corn/pellet stove.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 43 Posts
4/19/08 @ 9:50 PM
Everbreeze4ever
Everbreeze4ever
USER since 10/29/05
And my post was a suggestion some people out there may want to consider in addition to outside wood boilers. Like I said I was leaning towards getting one myself until we compared Geo prices to updating to a boiler system with a new furance and AC unit.. People need to keep an open mind and explore ALL of their options before making a decision. Just like before you buy an outside wood boiler you need to compare the different models and makes out on the market. Some are just plain junk and others are good quality. Same goes for Geo systems.

Our heating costs are now essentially ZERO, combined with no longer having to buy fuel and with the new heating/cooling geo system's efficiency, overall our electric bill is essentially the same. Only about $30/month higher in the winter months compared to what it was 4/5 years ago even with the price increase WE engeries pushed through on electric rates this past winter. (Before we had an older oil furnace...at least 30 years old when it was replaced. When the blower fan kicked in you could watch the meter spin so fast you thought it might fall off.)

Post Your Comment
4/19/08 @ 12:58 PM
better fish
better fish
USER since 2/7/07
Why copper,what do you think is in your exchange coils,pex is made of oil ya know that stuff selling for over 110 a barrel was alot less 2-3 yrs ago,shipping of products have seen a 75% increase,not that wood furnaces haven't gone up some,but not like anything with copper involved,hell just the power to the unit has doubled,we all know prices have increased several fold.Again we get it you like geo,most people will go for the wood facts are facts,geo cost way more bottom line,you can heat more area with wood for same cost as geo,yes you will have to do some work.Finally wasn't this post about OUTSIDE WOOD BURNERS NOT ALTERNATIVE HEATING.

Post Your Comment
4/19/08 @ 8:03 AM
FULL DRAW
FULL DRAW
USER since 1/8/02
So how much are one of the regular outside wood burners installed? Not the Geo ones

Post Your Comment
4/18/08 @ 11:00 PM
Everbreeze4ever
Everbreeze4ever
USER since 10/29/05
No kick-backs sorry. Just a $500 rebate from the federal government. I think it expires sometime in 2008. We heat our 3000sqft house, attached 4 car garage and the 1200sqft apartment above the garage. It cost $3K extra to heat the garage and apartment, but the main system was initially installed for just the farm house as the garage/apartment were not built when the system was installed. However they did size the system appropriately when it was installed for the added load. We went with the 10yr parts/labor warranty on the system it came standard from the company. Not sure why you are quoting copper prices... very little copper involved with the entire system. Most of it is Pex tubing. Been using the stuff in the barn for the past 10 years without any problems.

We seriously looked into using a wood boiler system. For us it was not worth the hassle or the cost. I would rather spend the day or two, NOT cutting wood and take a vacation away from the farm. And for those people out there burning creosote treated telephone poles in there wood burners the smell travels for miles and is nothing special.

Post Your Comment
4/18/08 @ 5:05 PM
better fish
better fish
USER since 2/7/07
EVERBREEZE4EVER,YOU GETTING KICK BACKS FOR PROMOTION OF GEO,WE GET IT YOU LIKE IT,ALSO I BET THAT SAME SYSTEM TODAY WOULD BE AT LEAST 18,000 JUST FROM THE RISE IN COST OF COPPER AND TUBING ALONE,I'VE SEEN 1 IN COPPER GO FROM AROUND 1.30 TO WELL OVER 4 DOLLARS A FOOT OVER LAST 2 YRS. ALSO I BUY MY WOOD AND STILL WILL SAVE WELL OVER 45,000 DOLLARS AFTER PAYING FOR THE UNIT IN 10 YRS THAT MONEY WOULD HAVE GONE TO THE OIL COMPANIES,THATS CONSERVATIVE FIGURES,I'M ALSO HEATING 2 BUILDINGS AROUND 6000 SQR.FT. I CAN ALSO CUT IN 2 DAYS ENOUGH WOOD FOR ALMOST ENTIRE SEASON,YOUR NOT CUTTING IT 16 IN ,NOT TO MUCH TIME FOR ME,VERSES THE ALTERNATIVE OF PAYING THE GAS MAN. DID YOU GET LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY ON YOUR GEO UNIT??

Edited on 4/18/08 5:13 PM
Post Your Comment
4/17/08 @ 11:51 PM
Everbreeze4ever
Everbreeze4ever
USER since 10/29/05
Legitimate local company here in Wrightstown, WI. They installed a horizontal loop system and we have no complaints. Granted we had to have 300ft of somewhat straight-a-way run for them to install the system. If we had to do a verticle system it would have been 20K. We looked at wood burning systems and to have them installed with a new furnace and A/C unit our estimates were coming in the 10-12K range for a boiler, dual-stage 95% propane furnace, and a 3 ton 16seer A/C unit. Plus unlike many farms we do not have a source of free wood (woods) on our land so we would have to buy wood. Not to mention I have better things to do with my time then cut wood for a burner unit.

So for people out in the country with the 300ft front or back lawns it is not as costly, ours is under an alfalfa field.

http://www.alternateenergys.com/

Edited on 4/17/08 11:58 PM
Post Your Comment
4/15/08 @ 2:27 PM
better fish
better fish
USER since 2/7/07
Being in the busn. of outdoor furnaces for 7+ yrs now it comes down to design of the unit ,what happened is that a lot of manufacturers got into the busn. to make some cash allot of badly made furnaces that are not very good at burning up the smoke were sold for less than a quality furnace with a proven design,i've installed these that I sell near towns and have never had a complaint as of yet good design burns up the smoke=no complaints.I've also known of the EPA working to get standards in place for these units,this has been in the works for over 3yrs,and I say bring it on its time to get rid of all the substandard junk out there and be left with only a few brands that will be able to make the cut.The market does need to be regulated to keep these other junk units from being sold,but there will still be outdoor wood furnaces just not as many brands,there are some that will meet accepted exhaust levels.The same thing happened back in the 70's with the indoor wood furnace market,it's just finally happening to the outdoor market.As far as complaints this happened in New York a congress women brought to the floor a ban in her dist. With over 200 complaints,Some investigation into the case discovered that the 200 complaints came from the same 6 people ,and that the oil lobyists had given her a lot of money,long story short there never was a ban.Overall I say this will be good all around,less smoke,better built units,less junk being sold. Cool

Post Your Comment
4/15/08 @ 11:31 AM
4Lakes
4Lakes
USER since 6/22/01
We put a fireplace extraordinaire in our new cabin. It was expensive, but so far I am very pleased. Once the firebox gets to temperature, there is no black smoke. We have a LP furnace to run when we are not there, but when we are there, the wood fireplace is what we use to heat the place.

4Lakes

Post Your Comment
4/15/08 @ 10:32 AM
Route66
Route66
MEMBER since 6/22/01
""just smoke"" Its more than smoke, a real acrid thingy comes with the smoke that makes it intolerable. It burns your eyes and stings your lungs. Not for a densely populated area.

Route 66

Post Your Comment
4/15/08 @ 7:47 AM
Jeremy
Jeremy
USER since 6/15/01
Stray, around here its much worse than that. I think the whole fuss about the outdoor burners started when people started installing them in towns, a couple I saw were kicking out black smoke. A guy I work with lives in town and has a neighbor with an outdoor burner and he has to scrub his vinyl siding to get the black crap off- not much of a neighbor.

These are a lot different than the indoor woodburners and a big reason is the water jacket around the firebox, it doesn't allow the fire chamber to get hot enough to burn efficiently- I know my indoor woodburner never had any creosote buildup inside it and the outdoor one has quite a bit- both have blowers forcing air into the firebox

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 43 Posts