Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

CHEAP WAY TO FIX HOLE IN PLASTIC BUMPER

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

moneypit
moneypit
Level: General User
1/22/08 2:22 PM CST
my son just had his first (and hopefully last)run in with his car he put a small hole in the corner of his plastic bumper about 3inchs around. normally it would just flex but he had to do it when it was 16 below zero so that took care of any flexing whats a cheap way to fix? any ideas Angry Angry

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 19
skippy the muskie
See Profile
1/26/08 4:41 PM CST
duct tape...ask any red green fan....

turkyhunter_15
See Profile
1/26/08 10:01 AM CST
Mighty Putty. Bonds To Anything!!! Doh!

fish magnet
See Profile
Level: MEMBER
1/24/08 10:02 AM CST
The tubes come with a mixer tip, but you can get by, by pushing equal amounts of each tube on some cardboard, and mixing them together with a spreader, with out using the tip or the gun.

I do NOT do it this way,as I have all the different guns for the different types of adhesives made. Every manufacturer has their own gun. I am just posting this for the cheapest way to get the job done by a do-it-yourselfer. I am also a VERY particular auto body repairman and can do these repairs perfectly, and guarantee you won't be able to see ANY imperfection in the repair when I am done, even if you hawk eye the work. But if you don't want to pay for perfection, the job can be done for less, and you would see MINOR imperfections,.that you would also have to hawk eye to see.

This thread was asking how to fix it CHEAP, so that is why my first post didn't include the adhesive method.

There is also a brand made by SEM that has semi rigid/rigid repair adhesives.

Hard plastic bumper covers require a rigid adhesive, while a flexible bumper cover requires a semi rigid adhesive. It is very important to get the proper adhesive, for the type of plastic you are working with. There are also different drying times offered for different size jobs.

cds
See Profile
1/24/08 9:33 AM CST
Magnet - the stuff the guy used on my bumper was made for automotive use. It wasn't very expensive but it needed it's own applicator - a gun that mixed the epoxy. I think the epoxy itself was about $18/double tube,but the gun itself was about $65..If I remember right.....I would'a had the guy fix my sled,but he's one of those guys who insists on doing something for you,does a helluva job,but takes forever getting to it.

I actually had him doing some other body-work for me and hadn't asked him to fix the bumper. I had to get close to even see where he'd fixed it,and he did it for free - he said he just didn't feel right leaving such a small thing undone.

I'd recommend him to anyone - if time wasn't an issue.

fish magnet
See Profile
1/24/08 8:29 AM CST
If you want to do it right, this is the stuff to use, but it is about 35 bucks my cost. So it is not the cheapest way, but the right way. I don't know of any company that makes little tubes of SMC etc. type plastic adhesives. CDS is the plastic epoxy repair you used , made for automotive purposes, and does it come in small amounts? Some plastic epoxies are not sandable or paintable.

http://www.lord.com/Home/ProductsServices/Adhesives/FusorAutomotiveAftermarketProducts/Products/PlasticAdhesives/tabid/3401/Default.aspx

cds
See Profile
1/23/08 12:54 PM CST
What fish magnet said with the prep-work. But instead of Bondo,use a plastic epoxy. There's some newer epoxies that are made to bond to hard plastic that would work.

I had a guy fix a hole in my bumper this fall and it's all but perfect. I've used 2 other different epoxies to fix a plastic ice-fishing sled - both have has held all winter in 2 different spots,both failed on 2 OTHER spots. It must have something to do with the size of the hole and how much flex is in those spots.

moneypit
moneypit
1/23/08 12:12 PM CST
Its a 1997 buick regal (forest green) 44000miles Crying

Gator43
See Profile
1/23/08 11:55 AM CST
What's the year, make/model?

moneypit
moneypit
1/23/08 11:44 AM CST
I like the bumper sticker idea but I suppose I would have to buy that too!! do bumper stickers come in differerent thicknesses hahaha

spud
See Profile
1/22/08 9:35 PM CST
Get one from a junk yard, oops," Salvage yard "If the car is worth it . A lot of work , good day job, to change out.

RiverGuy
See Profile
1/22/08 9:06 PM CST
Mags is the man...

spud
See Profile
1/22/08 8:43 PM CST
If you have the piece or pieces , Find somebody with a plastic welder , it just melts the edges and can be sanded smooth and painted.

fish magnet
See Profile
1/22/08 4:52 PM CST
I have repaired many holes, but if you aren't experienced in doing it, don't try. (the right way anyway). But here is a way you can do it and it will last for a while. Take some aluminum tape and if you can get to the back side, put the aluminum tape over the hole. Then use some 80 grit sand paper and scuff the outer surface, clean the outer surface real good and then just bondo it up. The newer bondos will flex enough to hold for a while. This is not th proper way, but it will work. Then sand it down smooth. Get a spray bomb of primer and prime it and then get a color matched spray bomb and paint it. I could explain a lot more, but i can't give away all my trade secrets. Wink

Docknboatlift
See Profile
1/22/08 4:32 PM CST
duct tape is the only way......

niklaus7
See Profile
1/22/08 4:31 PM CST
a crack could be plastic welded but a hole????? i think your s-o-l.

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 19
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick Baitmate

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook