CHEAP WAY TO FIX HOLE IN PLASTIC BUMPER

1/22/08 @ 1:23 PM
ORIGINAL POST
moneypit
moneypit
USER since 11/6/07
my son just had his first (and hopefully last)run in with his car he put a small hole in the corner of his plastic bumper about 3inchs around. normally it would just flex but he had to do it when it was 16 below zero so that took care of any flexing whats a cheap way to fix? any ideas Angry Angry

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 19 Posts
1/26/08 @ 3:43 PM
skippy the muskie
skippy the muskie
USER since 12/12/05
duct tape...ask any red green fan....

Post Your Comment
1/26/08 @ 9:02 AM
turkyhunter_15
turkyhunter_15
USER since 3/14/05
Mighty Putty. Bonds To Anything!!! Doh!

Post Your Comment
1/24/08 @ 9:03 AM
fish magnet
fish magnet
MEMBER since 12/29/01
The tubes come with a mixer tip, but you can get by, by pushing equal amounts of each tube on some cardboard, and mixing them together with a spreader, with out using the tip or the gun.

I do NOT do it this way,as I have all the different guns for the different types of adhesives made. Every manufacturer has their own gun. I am just posting this for the cheapest way to get the job done by a do-it-yourselfer. I am also a VERY particular auto body repairman and can do these repairs perfectly, and guarantee you won't be able to see ANY imperfection in the repair when I am done, even if you hawk eye the work. But if you don't want to pay for perfection, the job can be done for less, and you would see MINOR imperfections,.that you would also have to hawk eye to see.

This thread was asking how to fix it CHEAP, so that is why my first post didn't include the adhesive method.

There is also a brand made by SEM that has semi rigid/rigid repair adhesives.

Hard plastic bumper covers require a rigid adhesive, while a flexible bumper cover requires a semi rigid adhesive. It is very important to get the proper adhesive, for the type of plastic you are working with. There are also different drying times offered for different size jobs.

Post Your Comment
1/24/08 @ 8:34 AM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
Magnet - the stuff the guy used on my bumper was made for automotive use. It wasn't very expensive but it needed it's own applicator - a gun that mixed the epoxy. I think the epoxy itself was about $18/double tube,but the gun itself was about $65..If I remember right.....I would'a had the guy fix my sled,but he's one of those guys who insists on doing something for you,does a helluva job,but takes forever getting to it.

I actually had him doing some other body-work for me and hadn't asked him to fix the bumper. I had to get close to even see where he'd fixed it,and he did it for free - he said he just didn't feel right leaving such a small thing undone.

I'd recommend him to anyone - if time wasn't an issue.

Post Your Comment
1/24/08 @ 7:30 AM
fish magnet
fish magnet
MEMBER since 12/29/01
If you want to do it right, this is the stuff to use, but it is about 35 bucks my cost. So it is not the cheapest way, but the right way. I don't know of any company that makes little tubes of SMC etc. type plastic adhesives. CDS is the plastic epoxy repair you used , made for automotive purposes, and does it come in small amounts? Some plastic epoxies are not sandable or paintable.

http://www.lord.com/Home/ProductsServices/Adhesives/FusorAutomotiveAftermarketProducts/Products/PlasticAdhesives/tabid/3401/Default.aspx

Post Your Comment
1/23/08 @ 11:56 AM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
What fish magnet said with the prep-work. But instead of Bondo,use a plastic epoxy. There's some newer epoxies that are made to bond to hard plastic that would work.

I had a guy fix a hole in my bumper this fall and it's all but perfect. I've used 2 other different epoxies to fix a plastic ice-fishing sled - both have has held all winter in 2 different spots,both failed on 2 OTHER spots. It must have something to do with the size of the hole and how much flex is in those spots.

Post Your Comment
1/23/08 @ 11:13 AM
moneypit
moneypit
USER since 11/6/07
Its a 1997 buick regal (forest green) 44000miles Crying

Post Your Comment
1/23/08 @ 10:56 AM
Gator43
Gator43
USER since 8/1/01
What's the year, make/model?

Post Your Comment
1/23/08 @ 10:45 AM
moneypit
moneypit
USER since 11/6/07
I like the bumper sticker idea but I suppose I would have to buy that too!! do bumper stickers come in differerent thicknesses hahaha

Post Your Comment
1/22/08 @ 8:36 PM
spud
spud
USER since 6/26/01
Get one from a junk yard, oops," Salvage yard "If the car is worth it . A lot of work , good day job, to change out.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 19 Posts