Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

Building a meat smoker

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

DP
DP
Level: General User
12/26/06 9:18 PM CST
Ok,I have an upright freezer that I want to make into a smoker. Hot plate controlled by some kind of temp.control..whats the best and where to get it..any help would be appreciated

Fish-A-Holic
See Profile
12/28/06 3:32 PM CST
You need to strip ALL of the plastic out of the freezer if it is not metal lined. The best frig or freezer to use is one that is older than the hills and lined with sheet metal.

You will often want to smoke and/or cook at temps that reach 200 degrees. Season the inside of your smoker by getting it up to temp and adding wood to get a good smoke going. This will coat the inside of your smoker with a dark smoke colored film that will block out other odors. Again, get rid of any plastic. It will melt. Been there and done that.

cbriarrabbit
cbriarrabbit
12/28/06 11:00 AM CST
Before you smoke meat in your Freezer You ought to try it without meat first. I did it to one and it melted. That plastic wont tast good in your meat. Not to mention it actually melting down, check the odor inside at that temp.

DP
DP
12/28/06 10:13 AM CST
Thanks for the Mcmaster #...they are called in there book Line Voltage thermostats..why would you want to rip out the insides of a freezer..it should not get over 170 deg. or am I over looking something..Heres a probe type temp. reader..http://www.comforthouse.com/cookther.html

Docapi
See Profile
12/27/06 10:14 AM CST
I can't take credit for the Mcmaster-Carr idea- I stole that from you in another thread.

Fish-A-Holic
See Profile
12/27/06 6:24 AM CST
I've built 4 of these in the past, always improving on the design. I second Docapis statement about the McMaster -Carr control. It works great.

I did not do a search, but we had a few threads a while ago about this project. Do a search and you'll find all kinds of information on this subject.

FAH

cbriarrabbit
cbriarrabbit
12/27/06 5:26 AM CST
On your freezer smoker you have to remove all the plastic inside and the rubber seal on the door. You need to cut a 3 inch hole for a flue pipe with a damper. Drill a small hole about midway to insert a dial thermometer to watch your inside temp. Use a couple of breakover latches on the door to keep is closed tight. On the door when you remove the plastic, you will need some roll aluminion or galvanized metal to cover the insulation. Pop rivet or screw the metal to the door.

Docapi
See Profile
12/26/06 10:50 PM CST
The stepfather and I built one last year.

We got an old stove from one of those used appliance places that still worked, but was in such rough shape they gave it to us for free.

We took one of the burners from the rangetop and put it underneath the fridge where the compressor used to be. We cut a hole in the bottom of the main section right above where we mounted that burner, and used the dial from the stove to control that burner, and made a door to acces that section. That way, the smoke burner was seperate from the heat burner, and we don't have to open the main door to add wood chips.

We mounted one of the oven elements on the floor of the main smoker section to control the temperature. We reverse engineered the oven control to make it work, but I wouldn't reccomend that. It is just not sensitive enough.

The one problem with using an old stove is that you would need 220 available to run it.

I have heard good things about a controller from Mcmaster-Carr. Model number A319. The part number is 1760K71. I haven't researched them myself, but it supposedly goes for around $55.

[This post was last edited on 12/26/06 at 10:51 PM]
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick Baitmate

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook