Hunting Cabin Pictures

11/6/11 @ 4:27 PM
ORIGINAL POST
bucktracker08
bucktracker08
USER since 11/6/11
I always like to see the hunting cabins/shacks that people go to during bow/gun season. Post a picture of your place!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 147 Posts
11/29/17 @ 10:09 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

I didn't check into coloring the concrete.  We were debating a mix of carpet and tile and went with just tile since we figured we'd be tracking in mud and snow from hunting or whatever.  I ended up tiling the living room section as well and just used a throw rug over it.  I did put carpeting in the bedrooms though.

I did hear that people have issues with tile when it freezes, but not sure if that is just over a wood sub-floor or not.  My assumption is it would be okay over concrete but I won't stand behind that statement.  I just don't think a slab and dried mortar would do anything as long as there is no moisture or wood that can move. Someone down the road from me put it in and over winter it all cracked and looked like crap the following year but that was over a wood sub-floor.  I have radiant heat in the slab and keep it at 50 degrees during the winter so it doesn't freeze on me. So I can't speak to what happens when it freezes, our tile came after we had that all hooked up.

I think i used sanded grout for most of it, but where I had the joints in the slab I used the color match silicone.  A tile went over the joint and then I used the silicone on each side of the tile, whatever directions I had for that blue membrane said to do that.  If I were to do that silicone over to make it look better, I'd first put down painters tape on each side of the void and then fill them.  I've been doing that for any silicone or caulking now and that way you can smooth it out and the excess goes on the tape and doesn't smear all over the rest of the tile.  The way I did it the first time I had to spend a lot of time cleaning it up and the silicone is a little shallow, should have more in the groove.

Edited on 11/29/17 10:12 AM
Post Your Comment
11/28/17 @ 5:04 PM
1fowl one
1fowl one
USER since 12/9/10

Lakeshiner, did you look into the option of coloring(painting) the concrete? Then i was really thinking maybe a type of composite wood floor? But I'm just concerned with the fluctuating temperatures, negative temps to 75 within 24hours, say for two days, then back to sub zero. Not sure if the materials or a paint would last very long? I feel like my only option is tile, and anywhere else that's my first choice. But at the camp it just takes so long to heat up. Couple throw rugs I guess. 

What are you/did you use for grout? A epoxy grout?

The two seater is actually "designed" as a composting type system. Originally I purchased a composting toilet. When it arrives at my house and I opened it up to inspect it. What a POS, and would be a pain in the @$$. I couldn't even sleep, knowing I dropped a grand on it. So I sent it back, watched more videos of other brands and made my own. I have two halves of 55 drums under the deck. One is for the girls and #1's. The other is for #2's, I welded up my own hand crank auger. It rides on a couple of loops and sticks out the back. And I just throw the coconut husk mixture down the hole. No smell, no bugs and easy to dump.

Thanks.

Post Your Comment
11/28/17 @ 3:36 PM
Skunky
Skunky
USER since 3/15/14

Gotta love the fish basket lite!!!!!

Post Your Comment
11/28/17 @ 3:22 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

I assume the 2 seater is just so that you can move over if the pile gets too high?  LOL

For flooring, my place is on a concrete slab and we put down tile ourselves.  Kind of a pain but its still as solid as concrete, just looks nicer now.  I haven't worried about cracking the tile because its basically 1 solid piece right to the concrete, it should only crack if there would be an air pocket.  In a regular house over a wood subfloor, that can move more and crack easier.  But the slab is a solid backing for it.  Just a thought anyways. The blue stuff in the picture is something that goes over the cuts in the slab to allow it to move there without cracking the tile.  Not sure if it was needed but I've had no issues so far.  Pricey though.

For that step I would just make some sort of wooden box that can be slid out of the way, might be the easiest thing vs trying to hinge something.  If its in a corner like that it really shouldn't move unless someone really kicks it hard.

Edited on 11/28/17 3:23 PM
Post Your Comment
11/27/17 @ 6:59 PM
RangerKid
RangerKid
USER since 6/26/01

1 fowl one, what a fun place. Good job.

Post Your Comment
11/27/17 @ 4:13 PM
1fowl one
1fowl one
USER since 12/9/10

Next couple of tasks im kicking around,thinkin about. Flooring? And maybe a old camper two step fold down? I put in a double service door on the side. (Maybe need to pull a quad, boat in to warm up or?) So only one door gets used most of the time. Then built my stairs (for room) to turn in front of the other door. But I need the last two stairs to hinge, slide, be removable? Ideas?

Back to flooring. So if shed is full or problem with a quad and want to pull it in camp? Flooring needs to be durable. Thought about coloring the concrete, but it's cold. Thinking about a wood? Any ideas?

Post Your Comment
11/27/17 @ 3:39 PM
1fowl one
1fowl one
USER since 12/9/10
The outhouse. Same thing, hodgepodge together, some skids for trusses, old storm door, reused roofing, medicine cabinet and leftovers.

Post Your Comment
11/27/17 @ 3:30 PM
1fowl one
1fowl one
USER since 12/9/10

My camp/cabin (depends who you ask) "work in progress". First hunting season, this year. Didnt have it ready last year.

22x24, 9' walls, half rafters, half attic trusses (Bedroom/loft area.) One bedroom on first floor and the rest open. "Off the grid" no electricity or water, (generator and river). Outhouse and a port a loo for the girls in the winter. Wood heat.

For fun and character, trying not to buy much new stuff from stores. More Craigslist, dumpster diving, making, trading, collecting, reusing, etc. Old metal roofing for the ceiling and some walls, sanded and stained skids, old anchor rope for railing, made up light fixtures, old door shelves, mixed matched ply and 2x's, etc. 

Edited on 11/27/17 4:19 PM
Post Your Comment
11/15/17 @ 2:28 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
USER since 6/12/10

I like the idea of having an actual rustic hunting cabin for deer camp, but then I remember how loud half of my group snores and I realize I like being able to shut the door and turn on a fan to drown out the snoring.  My dad and cousin sound like freight trains when they sleep.  In that regard I don't mind staying at my uncle's and driving the 12 miles to the farm.

Edited on 11/15/17 2:29 PM
Post Your Comment
11/15/17 @ 10:05 AM
RangerKid
RangerKid
USER since 6/26/01

What a great setting Hans. Love how it drops off in the back.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 147 Posts