Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

Blazer vane rest clearance

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

Heavy Arrow
Heavy Arrow
Level: General User
9/20/10 5:11 AM CST
Has anyone had issues with rest clearance using blazer vanes? I just switched to blazers from feathers and am using a rip cord fall away (awsome rest by the way if anyone is in the market for a rest, I strongly recommend a rip cord). The issue is the vanes. I was struggling with arrow flight, then I realized that the tips of the high profile vanes were hitting the fall away when it was in the all the way down position. Then I tried a different vane orientation but am struggling to find one that can clear the down rest and arrow keeped that sits over the top. I think it clears now but my vanes are turned at an odd angle and it is soooo close. Anyone have any experience with this issue? How did you solve it?

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 21
browning3
See Profile
Level: MEMBER
9/29/10 9:22 AM CST
I also noticed in your pic that your football cable clamp is too far up the cable. It should be further down the cable. It performs better that way. Like others mentioned it may be better to just tie the cord in instead of using the football clamp.

Here is a video on YouTube that shows how to install properly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0bMl-51Xgg

browning3
See Profile
Level: MEMBER
9/29/10 9:07 AM CST
I'm currently shooting a RipCord Red with FOBS out of my GT500 with no issues. I'm also shooting the original RipCord with Blazers out of my Mathews Switchback with no issues.

I did take off the top keeper bar on my Switchback because the screw that held it on kept loosening up. You really don't need that top keeper bar so you could just take that off.

Otherwise you could put a couple washers under the keeper bar to raise it up a bit. I always shot cock vane up and had more than enough clearence.

I also set mine up so it doesn't come up until the last 1/2 to 3/4 inch of draw cycle.

BOW NUT
See Profile
9/28/10 8:55 PM CST
A Ripcord rest has about 1.5" between the rest and the keeper and a typical carbon arrow (CX Maxima, Gold Tip Pro Hunter) with blazers has about a 1" tall profile. This will leave you with a 1/2" to divide above and below for clearance a properly tuned bow should not have a problem with clearance.

Meat Pole
Meat Pole
9/26/10 5:02 PM CST
heavy arrow, did you get the issue fixed? i looked into the package of a new Code red and didnt see the spacer, it could of been hiding in there though, looking at your pic its hard to tell if that spacer is on there, think that issue would of blown up on AT with the popularity of the Blazers and Code Reds.

Meat Pole
Meat Pole
9/24/10 5:45 AM CST
Blazers NO!! Fushions YES both were with fusions...botH RC were bought used and came with a spacer that i imagine was supplied by the company! I hadf no problems making it work!!! fushions are as tall tas blazers...Crap if its 3 days later and you cant get it to work...take the darrn keeper off!! unless of course you plan on hanging upside down from the tree.

Heavy Arrow
Heavy Arrow
9/24/10 5:19 AM CST
Meat pole,

Have you ever set one up with Blazer vanes? This is more of an issue caused by the vanes than the rest. I took a picture while I was sitting in a blind to show the issue, but I don't know if it helps. In person, you can see it by sighting down the back of the arrow, but I could not get a picture to show anything from that side. Anyway, in the picture, the cock vane is up and you can see that the tip of the cock vane will nick the arrow keeper as it flies by. The rest is a code red.

Meat Pole
Meat Pole
9/21/10 5:04 PM CST
Reason Bownut is asking if its a old one or the code red is the old ones were known for bounce back and the code red has a new feature that doesnt allow it.

though i never had a problem with the 3 I setup up for people, I always had them timed perfect and shot cock vane up...always used hooker red lipstic to confirm no contact, and always used a Simms shelf pad under the launcher arm to cushion the blow..ripcords have also been known to break launcher arms from hittin the shelf,

Stitch
See Profile
9/21/10 3:49 PM CST
I had problems last year... I am using a QAD. I never changed the timing (I didn't know how, nor did my archery shop apparently Wondering ) This year I am shooting consistent as can be, so I don't think I am having issues anymore.

BOW NUT
See Profile
9/21/10 2:18 PM CST
Heavy Arrow, is this a Code Red or a Older Model?

Heavy Arrow
Heavy Arrow
9/21/10 5:54 AM CST
Meat Pole, it is not timing. With the cock vane down the blazer vane will come about 1/16 inch away from hitting the arrow shelf. The rest in the down position sits on top of the arrow shelf. The flipper is about 1/8 inch thick so the vanes will hit it. I'm guessing that guys who use non drop away launcher rests run into a similar issue. The Blazer vane that flies between the prongs is so high profile that it will hit the horizontal bar the prongs are attached to. I did not even know I had this issue until I went to broad heads and couldn't hold groups at over 30 yards. First thing I thought was timing, but timing has nothing to do with it. It really doesn't.

Meat Pole
Meat Pole
9/21/10 5:46 AM CST
Guess if the rest dropped a TOUCH faster....they would clear?? then i guess it would be a timing issue?? stop overthinking it! make it drop a TOUCH faster.

not sure but any dropaway rest that I had to fix because of contact..have been setup wrong...it didnt take much to fix but all were timing releated....they either get out of the way fast enough or they dont!

Heavy Arrow
Heavy Arrow
9/21/10 5:23 AM CST
The problem has nothing to do with rest timing. When I used feathers, I put the cock vane down. If I do this with Blazer vanes, the tip of the higher profile vane will hit the rest in the down position. If I put the rest up, and hold the arrow where it is in the rest up position and flip the rest down you can see that the vanes will still hit the rest as it goes by. If I put the cock vane up, the vane will hit the arrow keeper above the rest. If I turn the cock vane 70.36 degrees I think everthing clears, but it is close, too close. Is there anyone out there using blazers with a dop away?

Meat Pole
Meat Pole
9/20/10 4:45 PM CST
I hate the football clamps also..but my buddies want them used so I used them...couple of years later they havent had any problem with them moving.

FULL DRAW
See Profile
9/20/10 1:46 PM CST
If you really want to check out a nice drop away look at the Vapor Trail rest. No tying into the cable, thus it won't effect the tuning of your bow.

broadheadbob
broadheadbob
9/20/10 1:16 PM CST
If you are using the football clamp get rid of it and serve your chord in once you get the rest timed. The football clamp slides after awhile and you will loose your tune.

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 21
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick HT Plano

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook