Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

Shooting deer in your backyard

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

splitG2
splitG2
Level: General User
1/2/10 8:45 AM CST
Just wondering what opinion guys have on shooting deer in your backyard. I have deer in my yard every day at the same time 1 hr before dark. The wife gives me crap when I get home from hunting empty handed and says: you should have stayed home we had deer in our yard again.....I just can't bring myself to do it.....It just don't seem like it wouldn't be hunting but just shooting.

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 76
BOW NUT
See Profile
9/10/10 5:32 PM CST
I have found the deer behind my house are much more nocturnal than the big woods deer.

lookn' 4 PnY
See Profile
9/9/10 9:33 AM CST
I would be the first to give you a high five if i knew who you were, where you lived and you actually called me. Shooting a deer over a feeder in your yard would be the only way I would call foul. You can't help it someone built a house in your funnel. Hunt away man and good luck!

hunt4horns14
See Profile
9/9/10 6:57 AM CST
Lets get this topic back, our house sits on 6 acres with agriculture and woods, probably over 150 acres to the south, and another 300 acres across the street to the North. The deer travel through our portion frequently, I put a stand in the back and have had numerous encounters with deer. It's still hunting in my opinion, you still gotta play the wind, have to make the shot, and you can screw up just as easily as you would in the big woods.

The attached picture, I've had this buck coming in for 3 years now, he typically comes in an hour or two before and after dark. At one point last year, he was back there right at shooting hours, but I wasn't in the stand! Is that hunting?

Palmerboy
Palmerboy
1/15/10 10:44 AM CST
"Palmerboy, I wouldn't give too much info here abut feeding anything. One of those Rump Ranger Wardens could come looking to drop in for a hot load on Palmer."

It would be a dry hump for the warden..we maintain the 2 gallon rule. I'm retired so i can keep it at 2 gallons through the day. Even have 2 gallons marked on the feeder, which is a wood box not a dispenser. I've never asked a warden, but from reading the regs, i assume you can put corn out all day as long as you dont have more than 2 gallons out at a time

Bowbuckman
Bowbuckman
1/14/10 2:14 PM CST
See, that's what you get for putting that mound system in their house! Big Smile If you got a dog just throw it's race cars back there and they will stay off it. Big Smile Coarse than you'll never have the shot of a life time at the buck of a life time when your cooking up his cousin. Wink Wouldn't that make a nice portrait, you with your chef's hat and your 12pnt. Big Smile

Bowhuntin'
Bowhuntin'
1/14/10 2:03 PM CST
Hey, when a man's gotta defend his turf, anything goes.

gassmann
gassmann
1/14/10 10:42 AM CST
I quit hunting in my back yard... A couple of years ago I was out back grilling some chicken and 3 deer came out to eat the freshly planted grass on my mound system, that ticked me off they were wrecking my mound. I took the bow out and went around the corner, took a shot at a big doe and missed, they took off I put the bow away, went back to the grill and the chicken was burnt. NO FRESH VENISON---HAD BURNT CHICKEN INSTEAD Sweating Sweating

Bowbuckman
Bowbuckman
1/14/10 9:33 AM CST
I don't hunt my yard either! I was just having fun. I do how ever have the same scenario as the original post. My wife just laughs at me about it. I go over the hill in the back and hunt when I don't have much time.

lakeshiner
lakeshiner
1/14/10 8:23 AM CST
I suppose its as easy as gun hunting Tounge Out See deer shoot deer. I don't find gun hunting a challenge, if you see a deer you can shoot it most of the time. More people do it because it takes less time, like hunting in the backyard. Can go out one or two days a year and have a chance at a deer. Then I think of the people who sit in those enclosed box stands. Sort of like shooting out your window or garage. Now if you have a heater in there, then its like the house..

Don't go nuts, I'm just kidding! At least a little....

I have to say if a deer doesn't run away while you are outside, that wouldn't be fun at all. The deer by me never come out on the grass during daylight, they stay in the woods and are very spooky, which makes it more of a challenge to hunt them. I shot a doe in my back .5 acre of woods, but I put in 20 hours to do it, wasn't just a gimme. Plus I was winded one time when they came from a weird direction, that's why I love Scentlok...... But everybody's yard/land is different.

Bowbuckman
Bowbuckman
1/14/10 6:55 AM CST
Why shoot from the porch when you can wing one out the window from the couch while watching the football game or off the roof or the tractor. Big Smile Wink

Sounds like the wife did his scouting for him.

[This post was last edited on 1/14/10 at 6:57 AM]
Bowhuntin'
Bowhuntin'
1/13/10 9:17 PM CST
I'd love to hunt the land my house is on. I just wouldn't be hunting the yard part of my land. I wouldn't sit on the back porch and shoot'em while they come in. If that's your style of hunting, so be it. I just don't find the back yard hunting an accomplishment (which is what the initial post asked).

[This post was last edited on 1/13/10 at 9:18 PM]
Palmerboy
Palmerboy
1/13/10 12:20 PM CST
what if the pier is not in a back yard? Tounge Out

I can only base things on my own situation and the deer in my back yard have become accustomed to people. They come in even if we are using the deck for entertaining. In october, one of the bucks was eating a pumpkin the wife had put out by the garage. we came home from running errands and there he was standing in front of the garage with pumpkin all over his face. I literally had to blow the horn to get him away from the garage. We went in with a load of groceries, came back out to get more...and he was eating that pumpkin again, with us standing 20 feet away. Shooting animals like that just isnt fair chase in my opinion nor does it show any respect for the animal or the tradition of sport hunting. At least when i walk out onto my pier, the fish swim away from me as fast as they can( i am that ugly), the deer in my yard just stand there and look at me funny.

I will reiterate that I don't think that just because you walk out your back door to hunt you are hunting your back yard. If you have to move the volleyball net and satellite dish to create a shooting lane, then in my book you are in your back yard. If you have to walk through acres of land to get to your stand, that is no longer your yard, just part of your property. I think a lot of people defending their actions here, are assuming because they walk out of the house to hunt they are hunting their yard.

[This post was last edited on 1/13/10 at 1:22 PM]
ole 870
ole 870
1/13/10 12:16 PM CST
nor should anyone ever catch fish from a dock.

Palmerboy
Palmerboy
1/13/10 10:59 AM CST
I would think that most reasonable people would not call a 20 acre piece of property a yard. Just because your house sits on the land you hunt doesnt make all that land your yard. I live in northern wisconsin and feed deer right in my yard( the mowed portion). I could shoot them right from the deck. We have 5 bucks and from what i can tell 7 different does/yearlings hitting the feed every day and they have been coming since summer. I have no issues with neighbors at all .I still would never think of shooting those deer. I hop in the truck and drive about a mile away and hunt. I know I could see more deer, and definitely shoot one if i set up a little blind out back, but to me, that just isn't hunting. even with the lean times for deer up here, I have never once contemplated shooting one of the deer. Just like i wouldnt build a duck blind on my shoreline and kill the mallards that eat bird food from my feeders in the yard.

Bowbuckman
Bowbuckman
1/13/10 9:24 AM CST
Well my chickens is the loudest durn chickens in the country and ifn you can get past em with out em squakin then your a first class white tail hunter! Wink Big Smile

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 76
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply IceForce AquaVu Uncle Josh Fenwick

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook