Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

Two deer with one arrow.............

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

PassThrew
See Profile
Level: General User
10/19/09 11:59 AM CST
This is an article i saw in the local paper...... just thought it was interesting.

http://www.chippewa.com/articles/2009/10/19/news/doc4adc7d19aee0b772802482.txt

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 65
PimplySwede
See Profile
10/22/09 4:43 PM CST
That's a great idea, and tomorrow both papers will be getting another letter from me.

Loud
See Profile
10/22/09 1:16 PM CST
Thanks Steve and LongBarrels. thats what they need to hear before they think of publishing another story like that again.

Steve @ G & S
See Profile
Level: MEMBER
10/22/09 11:40 AM CST
Years ago, I was sitting in a twelve foot tall ladder stand watching a mature doe and a smaller, yearling doe. The distance to them was 18-20 yards. I remember at one point thinking, "Hmmm, the way they're standing right now, with 80 pounds of draw weight, I'll bet I could get them both." The taller deer was standing in front of the smaller one, and the shot angle was shallow enough that I think I could have made fairly decent lung shots on both of them.

But that's as far as that thought went. While it was an amusing daydream, even though I had two doe permits, it is far too unethical to even attempt such a shot.

I did send an email to the editor of the newspaper, voicing my dismay at their decision to run the article. I haven't heard back at all. Big surprise there!

Formerly Steve @ G & S

PimplySwede
See Profile
10/22/09 9:59 AM CST
Obviously the reporter doesn't hunt, or they wouldn't have published the story, or at least would have put a different slant on it to use as a lesson of what NOT to do. I feel sorry for the kid who was with him that he's been "mentoring." It's no wonder we have so many idiots in the woods despite Hunter's Safety programs.

Loud
See Profile
10/22/09 12:34 AM CST
PimplySwede they stop letting people post right after i made a huge comment about the 2 storys that i heard. then i also said after he deleted my next one i sent one out saying that this story should have never been published and that he give hunters a bad name. now i wish i would have saved the post so i could have posted it here.

trent
See Profile
10/21/09 9:43 PM CST
i dont know if anyone has commented on this but, he said that the arrow went through the doe first, and then passed through the heart of the buck. then he went on to say that he tracked that deer into the night and didnt find it until the next day. man that is one tough buck to get shot through the heart and all.

clark co chris
See Profile
Level: MEMBER
10/21/09 9:15 PM CST
Read the article in the paper and the first words that came to my mind were.....unethical, slob, and moron. Glad to see I wasn't alone in my thinking.

PimplySwede
See Profile
10/21/09 3:50 PM CST
Chippewa Herald stopped taking comments - people were getting too snippy. Good thing the Leader Telegram is still posting them, just in case anyone wants to help re-educate the idiots that don't know what end of the arrow goes toward the deer and think he's a GOD for making that shot.

Sunday morning I had a 20-yard broadside shot at a doe standing still. My bow is tuned to about 265 fps - in the .23 seconds it took my arrow to cover the 60 feet, she ducked under it without it touching a hair (aim point was heart). This is not the first time I've had a deer duck the arrow, and my bow is not very loud.

This guy claims that he felt confident taking a single shot at two deer. I guess he only shoots at deer that don't duck or bolt.

Bowbuckman
Bowbuckman
10/21/09 2:13 PM CST
Good answer Pimply. I heard Uncle Ted say he did the same thing last night only he resharpens his Magnus heads and used the same arrow for 16 different kills. Now that I can believe.

Mallard Slayer
See Profile
10/21/09 1:50 PM CST
His story about the small deer in front of the bigger one is definitely what makes it skeptical, not to mention the fact that a double lung on one deer and a heart shot on the hind deer is really unlikely. Even my graph shows that two deer of the same size side by side would have to be shot in the upper back of the first one to go through the heart of the second one.

Also, I happen to know a guy that developed one of the expandable broadheads on the market and they tested it on rib cages and it only had the velocity to go through 3 ribs apparently. It would be a good one for Mythbusters to test out with the ballistics gel.

[This post was last edited on 10/21/09 at 6:58 PM]
PimplySwede
See Profile
10/21/09 1:41 PM CST
Nice graphwork Mallard. Depending on which story you put more stock in.....The first story I saw was about shooting a small doe in front of a buck, which would be harder to line up the vitals.

I shot two deer with one arrow once. About 2 weeks apart, though, with a fresh broadhead after the first one.

Loud
See Profile
10/21/09 1:17 PM CST
dont for get that he busted throw 4 ribs. i love the 2 story's that i have read first a buck and small doe then 2 does then he already shot a buck before. its just great. what an idiot

Mallard Slayer
See Profile
10/21/09 12:45 PM CST
OK, so I did a little angle calculation and put together a little scenario of the shot and it might almost be possible if the deer were standing very close and side by side. I am not saying it is likely, but it is perhaps possible. I am of the opinion that the guy is not telling the truth because I do not think that the arrow would have enough velocity to kill both animals, but I could be wrong there too. I assumed the stand up 15 ft with another 4 ft added on if the shot was made standing. I calculated the shot at 18 yards (54 ft.) and that the rib cage of the first deer was about 3 feet off the ground. You'll see from the drawing that the second set of deer are at 18 yards ( the first set that I screwed up had the arrow hitting the ground at 18 yards. The distances are also a little off as a result, but you get the idea. Hopefully it shows up right on the picture. I just did it to scale in paintbrush so it is pretty amateur.

I would also add that the shot would be unethical and one I wouldn't take myself just to go on record. Sorry about the small print.

[This post was last edited on 10/21/09 at 12:55 PM]
Loud
See Profile
10/21/09 10:50 AM CST
they deleted my post on there web site i guess i shouldnt have put the other web site that the other story was on. opps

Loud
See Profile
10/21/09 1:25 AM CST
i say the dnr need to look at this guy and nab him for shooting before hours and shooting 2 bucks and for being dumb a$$. i posted a comment on the chippewa falls page you should see what his buddy is saying its great and i think his buddy's an idiot as well

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 65
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook