Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

Rear license plate for ATV's

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

W2GZ
W2GZ
Level: General User
4/19/12 12:37 PM CST
In case you haven’t heard, you will now have to add a rear license plate to your ATV. For public UTV & ATV registrations, in addition to the 2 side decals furnished by DNR, owners will be required to furnish a rear plate: This change was added after many discussions over the years with various experts and user groups based on surveys and meetings. • Plate will be minimum of 4 inches in height and 7 ½ inches wide. • Plate must be white • Black lettering a minimum of 1 ½ inches high with a minimum 3/16 inch stroke • Need only the 4 registration numbers and two letters that follow -same as on the registration decal • Owner shall maintain the plate so it is in legible condition • Plate shall be attached to the rear of the vehicle

License Plate Deadline July 1st, 2012 The deadline for this new requirement is July 1st , 2012. Law enforcement will begin checking ATVs – UTVs on the trail for proper rear license plates. They will match your registration paperwork with the up-to-date registration decal on both sides of your ATV or UTV – they will compare those numbers to the license plate on the rear of your machine. They must match!

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 104
fishingman55
See Profile
12/21/12 9:51 AM CST
Thank you Very Much Ditto, Fish Hound, and Redhook

Fish Hound
Fish Hound
12/20/12 12:38 PM CST
I ordered from the website below and plate turned out great and cheap enough not to have to complain about. Got it within a day or two of placing the order.

http://www.wisconsinatvplates.com/wisconsin-plates.html

ditto
ditto
12/20/12 11:39 AM CST
Go to Ebay and search for ATV plates, there is a guy in Wisconsin making them for like $12 out of aluminum that look just like your truck plate. I ordered mine in the morning and had it the next day and it looks really nice.

redhook
redhook
12/20/12 11:11 AM CST
Cabelas sells a plastic plate that you put the adhesive backed numbers and letters on. (I work at a DC and have packed them)

fishingman55
See Profile
12/19/12 8:38 PM CST
I agree with you guys this bites. We need two plates anyone know where I can buy them? Hope don't have buy from DNR.

30''walters
See Profile
12/8/12 12:49 AM CST
always got to be political, get over it and live life man.

Tim_T
Tim_T
12/7/12 7:51 PM CST
Yeah, it's just that darn government and their and their needless and endless regulations. There are simply far too many of them.

If we could only get the "Right party" in office to rid us of all this nonsense... oh, wait! Sorry! Everything should be taken care of shortly.

Tim

JC-Wisconsin
See Profile
12/6/12 11:10 AM CST
and a certain ATV trail rider group.....

I wonder what the vote had been if this had been actually proposed during the Spring voting....

walleye-master
See Profile
12/5/12 8:12 PM CST
Thank the THIEVES for this law....

rewesling2011
rewesling2011
12/5/12 7:40 PM CST
The reason I`m here is that I accidently found your forum and saw a comment from a member that said something like "Whats the big deal,10 bucks,it isn`t that much". Now let me blow off some steam here, in Idaho they started off with $10.00,3 years ago, and now we pay an average of $28.00. The people at the DMV told me that by the year 2015 it would be $56.00 and rise by 10% for the next 5 to 10 years,so think about it,if your State,County,Forest Service or even your local Fish and GAME need more money your taxes are jump way up and this is where most of if not all the money comes from to finace these people. One more pet peave! I have seen more than one FOOL that thinks that because thier ATV is better on gas,or because it has an engine and 4 tires and lights that they have the right to drive it on public streets (in town).Its one thing to have to jump on the pavement to get to the next trail but to use an ATV as a grocerie getter or transportation for long periods of time, I think not.ATVs are prone to rollovers if not handle correctly and they do not have turn signals and I`m pretty sure I wouldn`t like being hit by an automobile no matter how fast they were going. I am 59 years old and soon to be 60 and I`ve owned my 800 Polaris Sportsman since 05 and really enjoy the heck out of riding anywhere I point the nose and am pround to say most people would not attempt to use the trails I`ve been on, and since I love Idaho and the mountains I obey the off road 4x4 laws.RIDE SAFE AND STAY ON THE TRAILS. Thanks Rod.

JC-Wisconsin
See Profile
11/20/12 8:44 PM CST
We who are against this stupid law are likely the ones that break the law? Hardly. This is a case of continued over regulation with no benefit whatsoever. When i am ice fishing, sure is a good thing i am displaying my plate. What a complete and utter waste of our taxpayer dollars writing law over something so useless as this. I can only guess when it gets tore off the machine when going through brush, or gets covered with snow in the first 5 minutes ice fishing, the dnr will give us all a break and not fine us. Yeah, right. Puke

Tim_T
Tim_T
11/11/12 5:44 PM CST
I would suspect that if each time you stopped for whatever reason and you took a second to wipe it clean, there would be no problems.

It's not like you literally have to make sure it's readable 100% of the time. That's simply not practical.

Tim

Meat Pole
Meat Pole
11/11/12 5:12 PM CST
My issue with the new plate law, is the part it has to be readable at all times, 2 of mine stay pretty clean, 1 gets covered in,dirt, mud,sand ect, thats my issue, wonder how many got tickets this for that, only place I seen a warden was BRF while we were parked, he checked them out they were clean, Langlade them plates were pretty dirty. total of 1200 miles this summer and 1 warden..not to bad. just find it a pain the you know what stopping to clean the plate to stay legal.

ditto
ditto
10/25/12 8:38 PM CST
Just don't follow to close to me because the only two places I could attach the plate to my ATV was right behind the muffler so the plate would be charred in no time or covering up the brake light so no I have a plate but basically no visible brake light!

Owtdorsmn
Owtdorsmn
10/25/12 4:36 PM CST
Whats the big deal? Even a crappy 4 wheeler cost a couple grand. Spend the 10 bucks and put a plate on.

Me thinks that those that protest to much may be doing crap they shouldn't be doing. Giving the DNR the ability to Identify individuals without having to actually chase them down seems reasonable. As along time rider...I have no problem with this nor do any of my buddies.

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 104
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook