Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

Snowmobile vs. ATV

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

the walleye guy
the walleye guy
Level: General User
1/17/11 7:58 PM CST
I am toying with the idea of buying either a snowmobile or an ATV. I live in south-central wisconsin where there are no ATV trails around, although i live in the country with a lot of cornfields around that the owners don't care if i ride on. The problem that i have with that is that crops are up in the summer and by the time theyre off, hunting season is here. I also don't really have the means to go up north to trails on a regular basis. There are snowmobile trails around though and of course there are no crops up in the winter to stop me from riding on the same cornfields i mentioned. But the season for snowmobiling is much shorter and the trails may not be open very long. If you were in my situation which would you buy? Im on a low budget since im a high schooler, but really would like a toy and something to drag an ice shack.

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 16
Dbrockman
Dbrockman
6/25/11 12:53 PM CST
this is a beautiful thing

paid 1500 with 4500 miles

cookiedough
cookiedough
5/14/11 10:54 PM CST
depends, do you like the winter and can stand the cold, get a snowmobile especially since you are near snowmobile trails and no ATV trails nearby. A good used snowmobile can be had easily for 2-3 grand where as a good used ATV will run 3-4 grand. Buy whatever you will use the most and enjoy. For me, there are tons of more snowmobile trails around here, but with the winters so short and it always seems the timing is not right to drive a snowmobile with other things going on like work and family, etc. Also, not an expert, but snowmobiles are not as reliable and can break down easier (in general) and be more expensive to repair and own than an ATV can be. I have a 2000 and 2003 ATV and besides regular oil changes, nothing has really gone wrong with them both besides 2 minor repairs (oil cooler lines leaking and new brake pads) on my 2003 polaris ATV. I find usually an older snowmobile for sale has more problems than an older ATV and usually the snowmobile has many more miles on them. There are tons of good used ATV's to be had out there that are not beat up with very low miles not being used vs. good used low mileage not beat up snowmobiles. For ice fishing pulling a shack, go for the ATV since unless over 12" of snow on the ice, I have never gotten stuck with my ATV on the ice, just make sure you get 4wd.

[This post was last edited on 5/14/11 at 10:56 PM]
walleye-master
See Profile
5/9/11 8:14 PM CST
4x4 ATV

garyq
garyq
Level: MEMBER
5/9/11 7:23 PM CST
I am as well looking for an ATV just to pull my stuff out on ice any advice on size ice 200 CC's vs 400 CCs or 4 x 4 or 2 x 2's. Would not get a snowmobile so we need to go for the quad as I am a bigger guy 5'11" and 300 lbs and a 3 wheeler is not for me

There is a reason why they no longer can make them. And too small for a big guy like me

Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome. I have heard about the 4x4's would be the only way to go but have now heard about many saying that the 2x2 is also easily work.

cds
See Profile
3/22/11 11:55 AM CST
For icefishing,if there's no snow,walking's easy. If there's a lot of snow,many ATVs get stuck.

'Round here,there's alot of lakes where no sleds or ATVs are allowed. Guys with machines don't fish them as much because it's not convenient or easy to get around. When there's no snow on the ice,I fish those lakes.

When there's a lot of snow,I'm not going to pull all that crap: A sled is then the way to go.

In addition,there's a couple lakes in my area where the access doesn't allow the operation of an ATV or snowmobile (or trailer parking) but they are allowed on the lake. In those cases,my little Honda 110 ATC can be unloaded from my truck,pushed to the ice,THEN used on the lake in full compliance of the law.

Cost of a sled vs ATV - and be wary of a cheap ATV....A decent,working 3-wheeler can be had pretty cheaply. Most were beat,some weren't. Mine wasn't....Parts are still available...But there's a reason they're no longer made.

Dbrockman
Dbrockman
3/18/11 4:56 PM CST
i like sleds. if u use them they are worth having. i put on 1200 miles this year so to mr it is worth it. sleds arent made to be useful either, they r made for fun. atvs are nice in the summer, but how many miles do u actually put on them compared to a snowmobile. they arent really that good in the snow anyhow. the only time i use it in the winter is to plow the driveway. just my opinion

Tired & Retired
See Profile
1/21/11 4:39 PM CST
I also have both, 2 snowmobiles & 3 atv's & I would recommend the atv. Its a year around machine whenever u get a chance to use it . Snowmobiles are limited to weather conditions & a short season at that. Atv's can also be useful around the yard (plowing, & carts for hauling or even grass cutting if property is large enough.) We pull sledders & skiers behind the atv in winter also, & to pull our ice shelter out on the lake.

Steve H
See Profile
1/19/11 7:44 AM CST
I have had both and much prefer the ATV. However I agree that you can pick up a decent snowmobile for under $1,000 and probably an ATV in that price range would be junk.

quacksmacker88
quacksmacker88
1/18/11 12:56 PM CST
sleds tend to be alot cheaper, i paid $400 for mine and have put on 5,000 miles without any problems

[This post was last edited on 1/18/11 at 12:57 PM]
Metzie
See Profile
1/18/11 10:53 AM CST
ATV all the way. 12 month vs 1-3 if you are lucky. I am handicap so I use mine every day. Just go for a ride, feed chickens and birds, go to mailbox, snowplow,hunting & ice fishing, yard work, trail riding and tons of other things. I couldn't live with out it. If you can afford it get one with four wheel drive and a winch. Smile

Fowler2
See Profile
1/18/11 9:56 AM CST
I'd go with the ATV as well. Maybe in a few years you'll have the budget to get out more with it...The possibilities are endless for "down the road use". Snowplowing the drive if you go with 4wd machine, ice fishing tasks or just trail riding the Northern Wi woods. Don't get me wrong, sleds are alot of fun too but there usage is limited. I sold my sled awhile back and turned to the ATV's.

muskrat30
muskrat30
1/18/11 4:53 AM CST
I think in your case I'd lean ATV. The snowmobile trails in the south are rather boring & time with enough snow is usually very limited. Nothing wrong with keeping an eye out for an older sled in running condition after you have that ATV(should you go that route).

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 16
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick HT Plano

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook