Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

Exhaust on Arctic Cat glowing red hot!!

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

thwack01
thwack01
Level: General User
12/17/09 10:44 PM CST
Was out tonight for the first time this season and was riding from 2 p.m untill dark.Heres the thing right at dark I noticed a distinct smell of burning coming from my sled.Well I looked down and through the side vent I see my exhaust pipe glowing cherry red!!! Any ideas on what is causing this?? Im stumped.Any help guys??Other then it glowing red hot and I mean RED it ran like a raped ape for the most part.

Btw....My temp light never came on so it did not over heat.To my best knowledge all my gauges and lights work just fine.

[This post was last edited on 12/17/09 at 10:47 PM]
yote35
yote35
1/28/10 4:50 PM CST
I would check into it more, you may have a mouse nest in that exhaust, seen it lots of times. In fact it happened to me last week. Run it open good hit the kill let it stop pull the plugs and checkem. You can go to Mikuni.com and use there chart for what plugs should look like. So before everyone says its lean, check your plugs, my plugs were perfect. Then poof out come a burning pile of straw and insulation.

Fishbrain
See Profile
Level: MEMBER
12/29/09 4:38 PM CST
"it ran like a raped ape for the most part." Thats the famus last words before you blow up a two stroke. And yup, its lean. They run better than they ever have, rite before you melt the piston.

Been there done that!

62handler
See Profile
12/20/09 7:28 PM CST
dont forget about crank seals, carb boots, and stuff like that, any way for air to get in w/o going through the carb is gunna make it run lean.

for a quick check of ur air fuel mix after your done with the carbs, take it out and run it wide open for a short run, only needs to be 1/2 to 1 mile run, take the plug out and look at the color of the porcelin around the center electrode. u want light brown, white is lean, black is rich.

I dont think the wrong plug or oil mix is going to give you that hot of exhaust but you never no...

thwack01
thwack01
12/20/09 11:05 AM CST
Im thinking it is most definitely a carb problem, had it out to see if it was a gas/oil problem and it is really boggy now while holding the throttle down, you let off and give it again and its right there.Time to take the carbs out

Flying Tiger
See Profile
12/20/09 10:12 AM CST
gas oil mix correct? they run good before they blow Crying

[This post was last edited on 12/20/09 at 10:16 AM]
62handler
See Profile
12/20/09 6:02 AM CST
"it ran like a raped ape for the most part."

Thats the famus last words before you blow up a two stroke. And yup, its lean. They run better than they ever have, rite before you melt the piston.

alterego
See Profile
Level: MEMBER
12/18/09 8:43 AM CST
Without a doubt, a dangerously lean condition.

Could be a slightly plugged jet, a hole in a carb boot. Whatever is causing it, either you gas supply has been slightly restricted or something is allowing more air into the mixture.

Find the problem and fix it before it burns down.

Edit:

Gauges only work some of the time. In reality, your temp gauge only measures the temp of the coolant that cools the heads and jugs. It doesn't tell you the temp of the exhaust, which is what would tell you of a lean condition. This is why burn downs smoke a piston instead of the heads. A temp gauge is more inclined to warn you of a failure in the cooling system.

[This post was last edited on 12/18/09 at 8:52 AM]
nortwoods
nortwoods
12/18/09 6:40 AM CST
Check your exhaust could be a mouse nest built in it. I have seen it.

Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook