When I asked what these guys were putting in the water, they told me, "Tribune" I took this photo in Phelps bay, lake Minnetonka, on August 6th 2015.
Tribune Herbicide or equivalent 2.5 gallons 37% Diquat dibromide. TOXICOLOGICAL EFFECTS ACUTE TOXICITY
Diquat dibromide is a moderately toxic chemical. It may be fatal to humans if swallowed, inhaled, or absorbed through the skin. Concentrated solutions may cause severe irritation of the mouth, throat, esophagus and stomach followed by nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, severe drying out of bodily tissues, gastrointestinal discomfort, chest pain, diarrhea, kidney failure, and toxic liver damage. Very large doses of the herbicide can result in convulsions and tremors. Rats given lethal doses of diquat showed few signs of illness during the first 24 hours. They then exhibited lethargy, pupil dilation, respiratory distress, weight loss weakness and finally death over the course of 2 to 14 days after dosing. Similar patterns of symptoms occurred in mice, guinea pigs, rabbits, dogs, cows and hens. Direct or excessive inhalation of diquat dibromide spray mist or dust may result in oral or nasal irritation, nosebleeds, headache, sore throat, coughing, and symptoms similar to those from ingestion of diquat. It sounds like Agent Orange for water to me. This seems like a high price to pay to kill the weeds along the shoreline. How many of you eat fish from this lake, or let your children swim in this water, or have pets that drink water from the lake?
[This post was last edited on 3/20/16 at 8:27 AM]