Little & Big Bay De Noc

Loading ...

Displaying 1 to 10 of 4,094 Posts
5/22/18 @ 8:25 AM
FISHING REPORT
chris wahl
THE BAIT SHOP GUY
USER since 4/10/02

MOON PHASE (56%)
Waxing Gibbous

Best overall walleye reports have been coming from the mouth of the Whitefish River, and the mouth of the Escanaba River. Crawlers have been the best live bait. Drifting with the current with just a plain hook and a split-shot has been good for some. Pitching jigs with a crawler has been good, too. Some are trolling small, shallow running crankbaits. Floating Rapalas, smaller Husky Jerks, and Jr. Thundersticks have all been working. The river waters are very dark and stained, so brighter color patterns like Firetiger and clown have been working well.

Best recent perch reports have been coming from the south side of Gladstone, from the water treatment plant to Saunder's Point, in 28 to 36 FOW. Perch rigs with wigglers have worked the best.

Lots of smallmouth bass are being caught at the mouth of the Ford River. Swimming or dragging tube jigs near the bottom has been catching a lot of fish. Catch and keep season on bass opens this Saturday, May 26th.

Good luck out there.

(906) 786-1488
Post Your Comment
5/14/18 @ 10:22 AM
FISHING REPORT
chris wahl
THE BAIT SHOP GUY
USER since 4/10/02

MOON PHASE (1%)
Waning Crescent

We're fully stocked up with crawlers, leeches, golden shiners, and suckers for the start of the walleye and pike season. Also still loaded up with wigglers, worms, and small crawlers for the perch and trout.

Forecast NNE wind for opening day should be good for drifting the structure in the upper bay, but not so good for the area down around Ford River. More south and easterly winds in the coming days might be enough to stir up the water, and turn on the bite on the lower bay, by the weekend.

Also with the start of pike and walleye season, we will be switching to our summer hours, being open every day from 7am to 7pm.

Good luck out there!

(906) 786-1488
Post Your Comment
5/7/18 @ 11:14 AM
FISHING REPORT
chris wahl
THE BAIT SHOP GUY
USER since 4/10/02

MOON PHASE
Last Quarter

Ice went away early Friday, in both Little Bay and Garden Bay.

Perch bite has been good on the upper end of LBDN. As of Monday morning, the docks were not in at Kipling.

Perch bite has been GREAT in Garden Bay! Dock is in, but be prepared to wait in line to launch. Nahma may be a better bet, if the waves are not too bad.

(906) 786-1488
Post Your Comment
5/3/18 @ 7:44 PM
FISHING REPORT
chris wahl
THE BAIT SHOP GUY
USER since 4/10/02

MOON PHASE (87%)
Waning Gibbous

May 3rd launch update.

Upper bay is about 90% ice free. Unfortunately, the remaining 10% is locked in around Butler's Island and the Kipling launch. Should be ice free after the weekend.

Docks are in at the Gladstone harbor.

Docks are in at the North Shore access.

Escanaba harbor is about 50% ice free. Should be open after the weekend.

Dock is in at the Ford River. Found out today that they are in the process of paving the road and parking lot at the launch site!

Garden Bay still has some ice, but it may be open over the weekend.

Good luck this weekend!

(906) 786-1488
Post Your Comment
4/30/18 @ 10:53 AM
FISHING REPORT
chris wahl
THE BAIT SHOP GUY
USER since 4/10/02

MOON PHASE (99%)
Waning Gibbous

As of April 30th, the whole bay north of Gladstone is still iced over. Hopefully it will be gone in the next week! The ice south of Gladstone just blew out in the last few days.

Gladstone harbor is open, but the docks are not in.

North Shore access, (Escanaba River,) is open, but the docks are not in.

Escanaba harbor is still iced in.

Ford River is open, dock is not in.

Will update as we move along.

(906) 786-1488
Post Your Comment
4/5/18 @ 7:39 PM
Ripalip
Ripalip
USER since 1/16/15

If you have dates set for fishing open water, you may want to re-evaluate your calendar!!!  Just sayin!!!

I can see open water way south of Escanaba , but  the bay and northern bay have not really lost any ice yet, other than a little bit around the shoreline.

If this weather keeps up , we’ll be lucky to have open water without hazards by opening day!!!

Just sayin!!!

Slammer!!!

Post Your Comment
3/17/18 @ 12:38 PM
Craigwiseley
Craigwiseley
USER since 3/16/18

Thanks men

Post Your Comment
3/17/18 @ 9:45 AM
FISHING REPORT
Teemslayer
Teemslayer
USER since 2/23/08

MOON PHASE
New Moon

There was 28" of ice last weekend yet.  26" on huron bay lake superior

Post Your Comment
3/17/18 @ 8:51 AM
FISHING REPORT
chris wahl
THE BAIT SHOP GUY
USER since 4/10/02

MOON PHASE
New Moon

Mid April - give or take a week.

I'll keep things updated as the access sites open up.

(906) 786-1488
Post Your Comment
3/16/18 @ 9:00 AM
Craigwiseley
Craigwiseley
USER since 3/16/18

Hello all, any predictions when the bays might be ice free?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 4,094 Posts